PDA

View Full Version : Do Doctors Answer Questions here?

11-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I am new to this format. My name is Martha Anne and I live in Ridgefield, Connecticut. I am 44 years old.
I finished my treatments 2 years ago for ductal breast cancer.
I was just sent for a lot of tests by my doctor.
He is away so I can't speak to him.
I just got a copy of one of my tests in the mail.
It was a CATSCAN of my abdmin and pelvis.
It says under the "Impression" section "Of Note: Presence of multiple sclerotic foci seen in the left pelvic bones. Clinical correlation is advised"
Does this mean I have cancer in my pelvic bone?!
I can't reach my doctor and I don't know any personally and short of driving to the Emergency Ward and asking one of the doctors there to tell me what this means I have to wait all weekend.
Do doctors answer these threads? Do any of the members know about what this wording means?
I am not telling my husband. He barely made it through my cancer and I don't want to upset him if this is something silly.
Thanks.
Martha Anne

penelopez
11-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi Martha Anne,

Yes. There is a Dr. Leo who answers the questions but he is very busy....gets here when he can. Hopefully, he'll be around over the weekend to answer your question. I hope you get good news.

Good luck and hugs,

Margie

P.S. I was born and raised in Hartford, Connecticut!

riesesdad
11-06-2004, 12:19 AM
You can also try the people at

http://www.breastcancer.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

There are lots of knowledgeable people there also (not doctors I believe but still lots of information)

Good luck!

Pastor Rich
11-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Martha Anne;

Don't jump to conclusions!!! I am not an expert but some quick research indicated that sclerotic foci are connected with a number of different bone conditions.

Dr. Leo called this suffering by anticipation, I think. It certainly fits.

When my wife was diagnosed and we got the path report, I read it wrong and thought it meant that the interior mammary lymph nodes were positive. This would be critical. It turned out that I had misunderstood the labeling system used to identify the samples.

I also suggest you tell your husband. He will know you are holding something back. He may have trouble holding himself and you together but the two of you are stronger together than apart on this.

Blessings,
Pastor Rich

11-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Thank you. I went to the other forum and posted my question there too as you suggested.
I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything. So you found bone problems? Maybe I am ok then? Thank you too for your advice about Michael (my husband).
I will just keep waiting to see if the doctor reads this. If they answer me on the other one I will come back and tell you what they said.
Regards,
Martha Anne

Martha
11-07-2004, 03:37 AM
I see the doc came and went.
I haven't been able to get a soul to help me.
Everything I looked up on the internet says it is bone carcinoma.
I never felt so alone or scared in my life.
I don't think I could do chemo again.
Thanks anyway to everyone who answered me.
Martha Anne

Pastor Rich
11-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello Martha;

My prayer is that tomorrow when you call your doctor you will feel a huge weight lifted off your chest. And, until then, I will pray that the peace of God guards your heart and mind.

Have a great day (seriously!),
Pastor Rich

Martha
11-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Thank you Pastor Rich for responding. I can't tell you how crestfallen I was when I saw the Doctor missed my post but answered others. I am just so frightened. I know this doesn't look good. From what I saw on the internet the exact same wording is used for bone cancer from Breast Cancer.
I am at a loss as to what to do. This is the worst feeling in the world.
Thank you again.
Martha Anne

Pastor Rich
11-07-2004, 05:38 PM
From what I saw on the internet the exact same wording is used for bone cancer from Breast Cancer.
Martha Anne

That is true, but definitely not always. Out of 9 causes, cancer is only 1 possibility. From what I just read, even vitamin D or floride can cause sclerotic foci.

Blessings,
Pastor Rich

MuttsMom
11-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Martha,
Just my opinion, but I don't think your onco's office would have given you a copy of your report IF there was anything in there that was bad, like bone mets. He/she would sit you down and tell you and go over a treatment plan. On all my tests/scans I have, the last sentence is "there is no evidence of metastisis (sp) at this time". What does the very last thing on your test results say? If you don't see the word mets or metastatic, then I'd be shocked if it was talking about cancer.
I don't come on the board much, but please e-mail me when you talk to your onco and get an explaination.
I know the waiting is SO hard.
Hang in there
Nancy

Martha
11-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Thank you for responding. In Connecticut everybody gets the report at the same time in the mail. I got mine on Friday and my Doctor was away. I have been waiting all weekend PRAYING the doctor here would answer me. He hasn't. I went to the other forum someone suggested and got a few responses but I got some PMs that were really kind and supportive. But they told me that it could be no one is answering me because they don't want to scare me because it is clearly mets.
The last line of my report says the line about the Sclerotic Foci and that a clinical follow-up or further testing is advised ( I don't have it infront of me it is downstairs next to the kitchen phone)
I called my doctor's office first thing. They said he was swamped. He also had surgery after appointments. I called three times. Still no return phone call. I asked if one of the other doctors could explain it - or even his PA and they all said that HE HAS TO.
I know this is bad- I just want to know HOW BAD.
I am really disappointed the doctor here doesn't answer everyone.
Best of luck to all.
Martha Anne

MuttsMom
11-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi Martha,
I'm no doctor and I don't know what your report means and I wish I did, but him avoiding you because it's cearly mets makes no sense to me. I would think he'd have you in there and getting a game plan started. I know when I've called for results, if anything shows up, the doctor has to be the one to talk to me and it's NEVER been mets. I pray that is what is going on there. I would call today, tell them that your mind is imaging the worst and you need to talk to the onco TODAY. Better yet, go to his office and sit there until he can see you. I'm sure he's busy, but YOU are as important as anyone else. You need to know, the waiting is torture
Hugs and prayers

You said: But they told me that it could be no one is answering me because they don't want to scare me because it is clearly mets.

SamUK
11-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi Martha, I know exactly where you're coming from - this is the scariest place to be. I think it is irresponsible to give you "results" that you cannot interpret and leave you to imagine the worst.
I'm no doctor, but I think the wording would be different if it was mets - something like "worrisome for / suggestive of mets" - you do not have anything as clear-cut as that. It could just be "wear and tear", or the beginnings of arthritic changes.
I really hope you get to speak to your doctor soon and get some peace of mind.
Let us know how you get on,
Sam

SamUK
11-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Hi Martha, I know exactly where you're coming from - this is the scariest place to be. I think it is irresponsible to give you "results" that you cannot interpret and leave you to imagine the worst.
I'm no doctor, but I think the wording would be different if it was mets - something like "worrisome for / suggestive of mets" - you do not have anything as clear-cut as that. It could just be "wear and tear", or the beginnings of arthritic changes.
I really hope you get to speak to your doctor soon and get some peace of mind.
Let us know how you get on,
Sam

leo
11-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Martha,

First of all, sorry for the delay. This is not my primary job, but I try to stay on top of the new questions.

Anyway, about your question about "sclerotic lesions". This means that there are areas of new bone formation. The radiologist can not say for sure if this is cancerous or not. But in your situation, you will probably need more evaluation, as there is a chance that this might be metastatic disease. I am not sure what tests will be, but MRIs, PET scans and bone scans could be used.

I hope all goes well.

regards,
Leo

Martha
11-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Thank Dr. Leo for responding!
I spoke with my doctor today and he said that yes it may be mets. I now have to have an MRI for further evaluations.
He did say it could also be from an old injury, but I don't ever remember injuring my pelvis- wouldn't I remember that?
Thank you all again. I will let you know what happens.
Martha Anne

leo
11-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Martha,

I wish you the best of luck. I hope these are only old injuries that sort of "scar" the bone and leave those sclerotic areas behind. We will be available if you need us !

regards,
Leo

Martha
11-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Me again.

It has been ten days and the Insurance company has yet to give me approval for my MRI! They said it is in "review". What does that mean? What do I have to do to get the test done?
I am scared that while they are reviewing if it IS mets it will keep growing.
Does anyone know how much an MRI costs out of pocket? They haven't said no but I am really concerned and my doctor wouldn't send me for one if he didn't think I needed one.

Thanks a lot.

Martha Anne

MuttsMom
11-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Hi Martha,
The only MRI I had was on my wrist and that was about $600.00. If they use dye with it, which they normally would for what they are looking for with you, you can add another couple of hundred to it.
I'd call my onco's office and get someone to start calling the insurance company. I don't have HMO, thank God, but I have to be preapproved before surgery. I've always had the surgery scheduled, sometimes as soon as 3 days and it has already been approved. The doc's office can fax something saying that they need it to be approved so they can schedule the MRI, which will probably take a few days to get in. If it is something like mets, I really don't think a couple of weeks will be time for it to spread. Alot of ladies wait a month to have a mastectomy after dx and it's not an issue. I had mine done 3 days after my dx, I wasn't going to wait so I really do understand your anxiety and frustration.
Call the doc and tell him your concerns and the anxiety you are having over it. It could be that he is ordering the MRI to rule out anything, rather then see if there is something, just to be on the safe side and that's why the delay isn't an issue to him/her. I don't believe they understand what the waiting game does to us.
Hugs and prayers
Nancy

martha
11-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks Nancy.
I bet a Pelvic MRI would be more expensive. I was thinking - they may not allow me to pay out of pocket right? Isn't there some protocal I would be breaking or worse would I lose my insurance all together?
This is one big mess.
I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks.
Martha Anne

leo
11-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Hello

I think an MRI runs for about 2-3k, but it varies depending on what areas they scan, contrast etc.

regards,
Leo

Privacy Policy