A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eligard / lupron

eligard / lupron

I posted here a few weeks ago. My husbands psa was then 28. Biopsy revealed 9 of 12 samples were cancerous. Gleason 7. Bone scans and CT tomorrow. The DR gave him a 4 month injection of Eligard which I understand is the same as lupron. From what I'm reading Lupron/Eligard is one of the stronger of hormonal therapy drugs. Should I consider this a sign that the DR thinks his prognosis is bad? He got the injection yesterday and today he's felt very weak and say's he hurts from head to toe. (Her also has RA and a disk problem, so used to bone pain) however he say's is worse today. Does this mean that the cancer likely has spread to the bone already and that's why it's hurting worse after the eligard. Any comments or experiences shared would be appreciated.

Re: eligard / lupron

Quote Originally Posted by sherebel
    I posted here a few weeks ago. My husbands psa was then 28. Biopsy revealed 9 of 12 samples were cancerous. Gleason 7. Bone scans and CT tomorrow. The DR gave him a 4 month injection of Eligard which I understand is the same as lupron. From what I'm reading Lupron/Eligard is one of the stronger of hormonal therapy drugs. Should I consider this a sign that the DR thinks his prognosis is bad? He got the injection yesterday and today he's felt very weak and say's he hurts from head to toe. (Her also has RA and a disk problem, so used to bone pain) however he say's is worse today. Does this mean that the cancer likely has spread to the bone already and that's why it's hurting worse after the eligard. Any comments or experiences shared would be appreciated.
    No, Lupron will cause testosterone to initially jump, and then drop to about zero a week later. The PSA should then be close to zdro, and any bone mets will be in a remission. The scans will tell the story, but any problems from the cancer should dissapear, especially if this is the first time he took Lupron.

Thank you

Thank you for your post . This is my first experience ever with this, or with someone as close to me as my husband being prognosed with cancer. It's the most scary thing I've ever had to think about in my life yet and I'm 43! I've been dong a lot of research and found interesting an article by a DR. Bob Leboweitz out of Calafornia who uses a triple harmone blocade therapy. Although I cannot site the names of those 3 hormones, the articles made good sense. However, I do have to wonder if removing the prostate wouldnot lessen the tumor burdon on the body. My thinking is that the more cancer cells one has the more ability to proliferate. Anyone ever had the triple hormone therapy or heard anything positive or negative about it?

Re: Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sherebel
    Thank you for your post . This is my first experience ever with this, or with someone as close to me as my husband being prognosed with cancer. It's the most scary thing I've ever had to think about in my life yet and I'm 43! I've been dong a lot of research and found interesting an article by a DR. Bob Leboweitz out of Calafornia who uses a triple harmone blocade therapy. Although I cannot site the names of those 3 hormones, the articles made good sense. However, I do have to wonder if removing the prostate wouldnot lessen the tumor burdon on the body. My thinking is that the more cancer cells one has the more ability to proliferate. Anyone ever had the triple hormone therapy or heard anything positive or negative about it?
    I didn't know what to do, and had both the surgery and then salvage radiation. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started in over the counter supplements to stop it wihtout the surgery and radiation. Yes, if you remove the prostate, you do "minimize" the cancer because when a man gets prostate cancer, he may have 5 or more different DNA types of cancer in the prostate, each has its own growth rate. By removing the prostate, you MAY remove a more aggressive type and slow down the spread. I actually spoke to a pathologist on this point.

+ Reply to Thread