A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: College Student with Lymphoma

New User

College Student with Lymphoma

Hello everyone,

I'm not exactly sure how this forum works, but it was suggested to me by a family member. I suppose I should start with a story.

I know that just about everyone on here is going to understand the troubles with cancer. It is a horrible, vicious bully that attacks when we aren't paying attention. Our job is to take the measures to make sure it can't get the second or third punches, right?

Well, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in March of this year. Already in December I had canceled plans for my upcoming wedding because we did not have the funds to both go through with the ceremony and live afterward. Living in Michigan with has been hard, especially when trying to recover from my parents divorce almost two years ago now. My insurance has been skeptical about covering a lot of the medical bills, but my dad and I are trying to get through it.

The biggest concern for me right now is trying to move on with my life, which includes continuing my education. I am going into my third year at Eastern Michigan University, but because of my illness, I have been incapable of saving money to help pay for my schooling. A lot of scholarships have been passed up because I did not qualify for the community involvement portions, because I myself was in the hospital. Do you have any suggestions for my family and I?

Currently, I am participating in an online video contest to receive a $2500 scholarship. If you would like to help me, you can register for an account and vote for me up to once daily. You must confirm the account after registration. You will receive an e-mail from WIDAS (Why I Deserve A Scholarship) and it may go to your junk mail, although it is not junk! Anyway, if you would like to help out in this way, visit the link:

LINK DELETED PER FORUM POSTING POLICIES -- PLEASE REVIEW IN TOP SECTION OF MAIN PAGE - THANK YOU.

Also, please help with anymore suggestions about how to recover from this hard time in my life. Are there scholarships for school or social services to help with the medical bills that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for your help and God bless.

Charlotte

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Charlotte. I am so sorry about your lymphoma. Yes, I understand how cancer can not only affect our health but can also be a financial tsunami. It can change your life in so many ways.

One of our administators deleted the link. I imagine that it was because we do not allow solicitations of any kind nor do we allow new members to use links to external sites. I am sorry that we cannot help you in this way.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Gym Girl,

If you are still here, I know of some. One I can say here I hope the others I will PM you and maybe, it will make it thru to you as they are links. But they will help you.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma society enables patients with at least 5, 000 a year for support and help. Also, other family members as well. I do school assemblies raising money for the society. We are currently working on 5 different programs, ie, Pennies for Patients, Hop for Leukemia and several others.

Contact the society and they will be glad to direct and help you, I am sure, if you haven't already.

Also, if you want or can you can PM the site link and I will vote for you, too.

+ Reply to Thread