A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternative to Morhine?

Regular User

Alternative to Morhine?

My father recently was diagnosed as terminally ill. he initally had stomach cancer, though an opeeration to remove his stomach was sucessful.

unfortunately we recently found that the cancer had spread to some lymphnodes and to one lung. He is 75 and would not survive chemotherapy.

He's come to terms with this, and is now on low does morphine for pain management. The problem is that this has resulted in serious constipation for him and until about 2 days ago he was very uncomfortable.

fortunately we have great hospice care locally and they knew exactly what to do. He's improved dramatically ovee the last few days which is great, but I'm concerned that as long as he's taking morphine this could be an ongoing problem.

Are there good alternatives? Any chance to some sort of natural or herbal pain management option?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello heidrek

So sorry to hear of your fathers plight. I wish you strength for this difficult period in your life, and I hope your father finds peace at this time.

To answer your question there is no herbal remedy that will have the ability to dull pain like morphine. To take this option away from him at this time would not be a wise move. You say that the hospice has managed the problem of the constipation so I fail to see why you would even consider changing his medication. The hospice staff are very experienced in dealing with this issue and I doubt it is going to be much of a problem once they are aware of it. All medical staff know that Morphine causes constipation so they will deal with it in such a manner that it should not bother him again.

best wishes to you and be kind to yourself during this time.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Stop Cancer Pains Over-Night = Potassium & Cesium HCO3

Hi, my friend is much younger but similarly had his stomach removed and was diagnosed stage4 terminal over 2 years ago.

Back then I had already studied science facts and health research for years.. with alternative cancer treatment as my specialty.. so I was confident that I had a solution to his pains.

It Worked!! The Pain !! It's gone !!
    He woke up the next morning pain free; so he stopped taking the chemo-Glevac and morphine, and continued minerals for a while.

The treatment works by supplementing bulk ALKALINE electrolytes to
    neutralize acids inside of cells. Potassium is the natural electrolyte for this.

*****LINK DELETED BY ADMIN PER FORUM POLICIES -- PLEASE REVIEW IN TOP SECTION OF MAIN PAGE ********

I do not recommend any products other than the forms I source and sell. The hydrocarbonte forms are more alkaline, cheaper, and yield superior results than I have had with overpriced mainstream new-age products.

I sell bulk minerals, such as the main electrolytes, and a powder form of cesium, for alternative cancer treatment / pain relief.

I do this to be nice and give the opportunity of life back to others, after seeing the appreciation of my friend Perry Ross Edward Scott.

He is alive and well, maintaining himself at stage 2 with periodic supplementing of bulk potassium according to protocols I outlined for him. Basically dilute mineral powder in at least 1 liter of carbon filtered water or tea.

Newbie New User
    thank for share

Link in signature removed as per Forum Policy. Please read and adhere with our new user policies.
    Last edited by Kermica; 05-31-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Link removed as per Forum Policy

I am so not buying the "Ph Balance" cancer treatment theory.

Re ChemoMan's response: But aren't there pharmaceutical alternatives at least? The thought of lying in a bed getting regular morphine scares me worse than being bedridden and writhing in pain. I can't stand that stuff and hate the side effects so much that I've been meaning to add "no opiods" to my living will.

Re natural pain relief: I've had no cancer pain to speak of, but I have been getting regular inflammation type injuries at work since being treated. No joke, eating half a fresh pineapple on an empty stomach in two sittings fixes me up within a day every time. So, if his pain is inflammatory, it might be something to try. At the very least, the fiber and enzymes might help a little with the constipation. ...
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

It's not herbal but I recommend Fetanyl unlike Morphine it did not cause constipation for me, it has a larger effect than morphine but lacks in duration of pain-relief (at least that is my experience).
    Age at Diagnosis: 18 (16 at diagnosis) December 2010
    Diagnosis: Hodgkin's Lymphoma (Lymphocyte Predominant) Stage 2B
    Treatment: Chemotherapy (Vincristine, Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Prednisone)
    Complications: Pulmonary Embolism , Autonomic Dysfunction
    Remission: For 1 Year

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Reich View Post
    It's not herbal but I recommend Fetanyl unlike Morphine it did not cause constipation for me, it has a larger effect than morphine but lacks in duration of pain-relief (at least that is my experience).
    Fentanyl is a good alternative to morphine. Fentanyl is approximately 100 times more potent than Morphine and the patches are an excellent way to control severe pain without too many side effects. Fentanyl is considered the safest opioid medication on the market, as well as the least physically harmful to the body, especially with long-term or life-term use.

Cheers
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

You can also consider Methadone as pain relief drug. It has a half-life of over 12 hours so a dose is long lasting. It can be taken by swallowing pills or by mixing Methadone drops with sugar, juice or tea.
    It helped my dad a lot until he was unable to swallow and then moved to Morphine.

People in hospice care are usually very experienced and always have aces in their sleeves.

I will remember those drug names.

I am pretty sure I read that all opioids were constipating, but, come to think of it, I got shot up with dalaudid in the hospital and didn't have any adverse effects.

All I know is that morphine was awful. Have considered telling docs that I am allergic when they ask that question.
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

My dad didn't have any constipation side effects from Morphine or Methadone...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle View Post
    I will remember those drug names.

I am pretty sure I read that all opioids were constipating, but, come to think of it, I got shot up with dalaudid in the hospital and didn't have any adverse effects.

All I know is that morphine was awful. Have considered telling docs that I am allergic when they ask that question.
    I wouldn't do that. Once it's in the drug store system you will have a hard time getting any pain meds and if you really needed them it could be a real big issue. Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Well, this last time I needed pain meds, I said vicodin and ibuprophin didn't do anything for me so the doc gave me an rx for Tramadol, a weak opioid that I only took once and seems to treat me OK. Maybe I am getting used to this crap.

+ Reply to Thread