A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cancer Tattoo

Cancer Tattoo

My dad died of Hogkins Lymphoma back in febuary and i want to get a tatttoo to remember him by but i dont know what to get or where to get it at. Can anyone help?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi bradyanderson4

So sorry that your Dad passed away from Lymphoma.

You could get something incorporating the ribbon like this one:

http://media.causes.com/316788
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Experienced User
    hi,

i think you should keep your sadeness in your heart not in your body. I lost my mum when i was therteen, it is make me sad, but i remember her but trying to be everything good she was , i pray every day for her. this is my way. if you do tatou you gonna wache it for the rest of your life, and nobody need more sadeness in his life, the older one passe away before us the younger too, we are all gonna be died one day, so live, in the best way you can.

excuse my opinion if you don't like it, thank you.
    28 y f
    thyroid cancer (28-09-09)

thyrodoctomy total+ sternotomy median 2009

what is worth the price always worth the fight.
    stay strong and live strong.
    january 2010 treatement radio iodine
    february 2010 total remission

Hi,

Some tattoo dyes have been found to cause liver cancer in rats, and they can obscure the signs of skin cancer in development. While the odds of one of those things happening to you are extremely small, it would be sadly ironic if a tattoo meant to remember someone who died of cancer indirectly lead to (or lead to a worsening of) your own.
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

I'm very sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Wow Joepet -- I didn't know that. All three of my kids have tattoos. Other than them ruining the skin I took such good care of when they were babies, I didn't realize that they could be harmful.

Two of my kids got tattoos in memory of their father. (They were 25 when he passed.) My daughter designed hers and put it high on her side, below the breast area, where it would only be seen by her (unless she's in a swim suit.) It's her private way of remembering her Dad. One of my sons had a design modified slightly and put on his upper arm. (None of my kid's tatt's are visible for business purposes.) Both of theirs incorporate my husband's initials into the design, but only they know how to pick the letters out. A casual observer would never realize the significance, unlike a ribbon. I thought it was a lovely, touching gesture once I got beyond crying over them permanently doing something to their skin with their first couple of tattoos.

I've thought about getting one myself, but haven't decided on a design or where to have it placed. My kids chuckle at me because I also said I'd get one with them for their 21st birthday when they got "twin" tattoos. I backed out and never have heard the end of it!

Good luck -- remember --- it's forever, so do some serious artist research. The family joke, with my daughter, is never get a tattoo from a guy named Cheeto at a place called the Skin Factory. Bad job on her first tattoo that she regrets.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi bradyanderson4

There is no evidence that Tattoos can cause cancer. The fact that they can obscure a developing skin cancer does have evidence to back it up. The risk although real would be small, you should always leave a margin of unmarked skin around any moles you may have. I would endorse pbj11's comment that you seriously research the artist to make sure the tattoo will look good and also make sure the parlor is hygenic as there is a risk of HIV or HepB infections

Good luck and look after yourself.
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n31872986/

"Evidence has indicated that m'-methyl-p-dimethylaminoazobenzene, or red azo dye (also known as red 22 or PR22), produced liver cancer in rats when used as a food coloring (Cook, Griffin, & Luck, 1949)."

This particular dye is, of course, no longer in use. But the precedent is there, so who's to say that other dyes won't be found to cause a cancer in the future?

Obscuration of skin cancer, or tattoos being mistaken for cancer is indisputable.

"Many medical professionals believe that substances in current tattoo pigments (e.g., copper, lead, lithium) (Helmenstine, 2002) and procedures increase the risk for developing skin cancer and cause other types of blood-borne diseases (Sperry, 1992). Studies of the effects of sun exposure on tattoo pigment only determined that sun exposure is linked to skin cancer (Hudson, 2009). No studies have definitively related tattooing to skin cancer. However, tattoos can mask a skin cancer or be mistaken for cancer in a lymph node. Therefore, healthcare providers should take extra precaution when examining patients with tattoos for melanoma."
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Senior User
    Hi,

I'm with HaveFaith on this one. I believe that you don't need to have a tatoo to remember your father. Would he be proud of your tatoo or would he like to know that you have memories of nice times with him?

My Mother died when I was 14. I didn't have a lot of time to build up memoires, but the nice ones I do have are etched in my memory, you don't need to have them etched in your arm as well!

I think you should remember your father in an old way (when he was actually here, with experiences), rather than in a new way (where you get something done to yourself that he is not even involved in).

Aisha.
    Diagnosed Hodgkins lymphoma, nodular sclerosis, grade 2. Stage 2.
    Completed chemo and I am now clear!
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=55268

Thanks guys for all your feed back i really aprecitate it and it helped alot. its a big decison and i wont to really think about it. but thank you for all your opinions they were all really good points

+ Reply to Thread