A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to cancer and this site

New to cancer & this site

Hi Everyone!

I am a 56 year old female who was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma - B cell last month.

I underwent two bone marrow biopsies and because they could not aspirate much marrow, this was as specific as they could get with the type I have.

I have been put on a 21 day cycle of chemo and received my first treatment on 11/20/09.

So far, the only troubling side effect I have is thrush in my mouth. Any suggestions for healing would be appreciated. I am on a RX from the doctor and have been using a mouth rinse of maalox and benedryal.

Senior User

New to cancer & this site

Hi elbecko

Welcome to the forum.
    You seem to be in good spirit " keep it!
    I assume you're on R-CHOP regiment. The more details you give the more other people with similar experience will be able to share their experience and knowledge.

Thrush is relatively easy to control. There's a medication (forgot its name) and/or lozenges. What Rx did your doc give you?
    In addition, two other things may help, depending on the severity of the symptoms.
    For mild symptoms I gurgled with 50% water " hydrogen peroxide.
    Then, after the sixth cycle I had very painful mouth sores. My dentist Rxed me Kenalog/Orabase (Triamcinolone). It helped right away.

Did you get a white blood cells booster shot 24 hours after the treatment?
    If not ask your onc. This helps a lot.
    You may feel tired pretty soon because your blood counts will go down. Don't despair!
    It becomes better and easier with the next cycles. But here's some good news:
    A new study showed that the chance of your response to chemo increases significantly if you exercise. Try moderate cardio exercises three times a week.

Good health and keep posting.
    61 y.o M, Diffuse large B cell NHL, stage 3. Lower back. Diagnosed Mid May 09. Completed 6 R-CHOP treatments on 9/8/09. In Remission: 10/19/09. CNS lymphoma (spine only) March 2010
    In treatment ever since.

Hi elbecko. Sorry that you have to be in this situation, but nice to meet you nonetheless.

Assuming you are undergoing R-CHOP, though I did not have that problem myself, I have heard from others that chewing on ice chips during the vincristine (red colored chemo) portion of chemo helped to keep mouth sores away. Perhaps you can give this a try during the next session and let us know if it helped?

Hope to hear that you are in complete remission soon!
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

+ Reply to Thread