A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
Closed Thread

Thread: how to administer medical marijuana

New User

how to administer medical marijuana

My mother is 78 years old and is having severe cancer pain in her back and sides. The pain pills are not helping much. She has a very aggressive form of lymphoma and has not been able to tolerate chemo, so the doctor has been using a less aggressive treatment (targeted therapy?).

Anyway, I have some medical marijuana but she won't smoke it. If I put it in cookies or brownies, how much should I give her? I assume eating marijuana is the same as smoking it?

Experienced User

how to administer medical marijuana

Hi richwyz

I can't give you any advice as to the amounts to use in baking, but I can tell you from experience that the effects from ingesting it can be very profound.

Last year my granddaughter offered me a brownie which contained the drug.

This was my very first experience with marijuana and I am almost the same age as your grandmother. Lymphoma diagnosis as well. It took close to an hour before I felt any effect but then it was indeed a very profound experience. I felt very impaired, as if I'd had much too much alcohol. Dizzy, loss of balance, slurred speech etc. I became rather concerned when I began hallucinating and since I was alone in the house I felt it best to get in to bed. All in all the effects lasted close to five hours. Since I could not "turn it off" I felt such a lack of control that the whole experience was not the least bit enjoyable. I would never do it again and would not recommend it for your either grandmother unless you do find out the proper amount to use that would be completely safe.

There is a link on the following url to recipes which you might find helpful if your grandmother decides this is something she would like to try for pain control. If so, please make sure she is properly supervised.

http://www.420source.com/post/87

New User
    Thank you!

Newbie New User
    I recomend making a tincture for use with elderly patients. That way you can control the amount used and monitor how many drops work for that particular patient.

Newbie New User
    There are varieties of medical marijuana that have high concentrations of Cannabidiol or CBD that are supposed to have a less severe psychoactive effect. I have read that you build up a tolerance to the effects as well after a few weeks and it sounds like shemay you may have taken a too large dose which I hear is easy with marijuana baked goods. I found out recently that bith CBD and THC another active component in marijuana actually kill cancer cells. There is a canadian website called "phoenix tears" that explains how to use marijuana in cancer treatment. There are many people on this website who claim that a high THC marijuana tincture has cured their cancer, so it may be that the medical marijuana can help with the lymphoma pain as well as help stop or regress the cancer. Err as an addendum maybe try looking up dichloroacetate as a cancer treatment or the "DCA info" website.

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargus View Post
    I found out recently that bith CBD and THC another active component in marijuana actually kill cancer cells.
    Actually there is some evidence that they inhibit cancer cell growth in SOME cancers, but nothing I have found that they kill cancer cells.

There are many people on this website who claim that a high THC marijuana tincture has cured their cancer,
    There are many people who claims lots of things. That doesn't make them true.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
    Actually there is some evidence that they inhibit cancer cell growth in SOME cancers, but nothing I have found that they kill cancer cells.

There are many people who claims lots of things. That doesn't make them true.
    Active Component Of Marijuana Has Anti-Cancer Effects, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (Apr. 9, 2009) — Guillermo Velasco and colleagues, at Complutense University, Spain, have provided evidence that suggests that cannabinoids such as the main active component of marijuana (THC) have anticancer effects on human brain cancer cells.

In the study, THC was found to induce the death of various human brain cancer cell lines and primary cultured human brain cancer cells by a process known as autophagy.

Consistent with the in vitro data, administration of THC to mice with human tumors decreased tumor growth and induced the tumor cells to undergo autophagy. As analysis of tumors from two patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme (a highly aggressive brain tumor) receiving intracranial THC administration showed signs of autophagy, the authors suggest that cannabinoid administration may provide a new approach to targeting human cancers.

Cannabinoid action induces autophagy-mediated cell death..."

There are many studies that come to the same conclusion.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

This thread is now off topic and is locked.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620
    RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... NEVER GIVE UP
    RULE NUMBER 3..... Don't forget the first 2 rules

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Closed Thread