A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Cancer FAQ Site(s)

Regular User

Good Cancer FAQ Site(s)

Dear All,

My Dad was asking me how chemo actually "works," and I told him "on the DNA level," but since I'm just a layman, I had to surf around for more info so I could explain further and stumbled on this great site out of the U.K.:

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-c...apy-works#cure

Perhaps, some of you are already well familiar with this site and if anyone has any other good website suggestions for reliable information, I would love to know.

God bless and take care.

As Ever,

Maria
    My beloved sister, Margaret, was diagnosed w/late Stage IV SCLC on 1/7/2010; she waged a truly, heroic battle against this horrific disease which included painful surgeries, 4 palliative chemo rounds, and numerous other indignities yet maintaining throughout a fantastic, positive attitude; she passed away on May 27, 2010, three weeks after her 58th birthday

The very best site on the web for lung cancer is:

CancerGRACE.org

It is run by professionals with specialties in lung cancer and founded by Dr. Jack West. The information is as detailed as you can find on the web, with the bonus that you can register and ask questions on their forum area.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    Hi Maria
    I use the Cancer Help site a LOT, I was on here daily when E was first diagnosed. It's good because it's all explained in simple terms, and yet there is loads of detail. Each time something comes up now that I didn't know about, I go to the site and find more information. I've used the Grace site too, and found it useful for looking for any new thinking going on. If you're outside the UK, I think you should remember that the Cancer Help site gives the standard thinking and the main treatments available here in the UK. From the discussions on this forum so far, it seems to me that treatments and practices in the US and UK are very similar, but you may have other options open to you in the US as well.
    love,
    RBx
    57 year old partner diagnosed in November 09 with Stage IV NSC adenocarcinoma lung cancer. Two rounds of chemotherapy gave very little change. Problems with very low levels of platelets and no further chemo proposed due to his extreme weight loss (over 40lbs). Had 5 sessions of radiotherapy to lung. Sadly passed away in a beautiful hospice March 2010.

Can't bear to be without you my love, but will try my best to keep going.

I didn't notice it was a UK site. I'm just happy to see a thread where all good sites can be posted in one place and put in a site I used a lot.

Why didn't we think of that before?

Sometimes you miss the forest for the trees. LOL!
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Top User
    Good sites, thx!

Regular User
    Thanks for sharing. Though its UK website, it provides a lot of information.

Cancer blog

University of Alabama Birmingham Medical center has an informative blog at http://cancer.uabmedicineblog.org/.

I really like the docs up there ... but they completely lost interest after punting me back to my crappy community hospital for followup.

Still, lots of good research and good work going on there.

(Ugh, I should've made a new post. Sorry for interrupting the train of thought in this one! Mods, if you can move this into its own thread or a more appropriate one, by all means do it.)
    Dxed with Stage IB2 cervical cancer by one doctor and IVB by another in 10/11. Finished six weeks of pelvic chemorad in 12/11. Lung tumor found in 10/11 dxed as IB NSCLC in 8/12. Dec. '12 scan showed clear pelvis, no growth in lung tumor and new activity in remote lymph nodes. Is it a Stage I and a Stage IV, three Stage Is, or a cured cancer with something benign going on? Lost interest and went off the reservation after a year of unsuccessfully fighting for a good biopsy.

It is fine being on this thread.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Regular User
    Hey it’s a Bamabelle, it’s a nice blog. I had been there when I was searching for something from Google.

This is a great site! Awesome to see so many people supporting one another, not to mention the amount of helpful information to educate us about different carcinomas. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabelle View Post
    University of Alabama Birmingham Medical center has an informative blog at http://cancer.uabmedicineblog.org/.

I really like the docs up there ... but they completely lost interest after punting me back to my crappy community hospital for followup.

Still, lots of good research and good work going on there.

(Ugh, I should've made a new post. Sorry for interrupting the train of thought in this one! Mods, if you can move this into its own thread or a more appropriate one, by all means do it.)

+ Reply to Thread