A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Esophegal cancer curable?

Esophegal cancer curable?

Hi,

Unfortunately my mother had been diagnosed for cancer in lower 1/3rd of esophagus. As per endoscopy and post-surgical biopsy the tumor was localized and is completely removed in the surgery. The post surgical biopsy also mentions that no traces of tumor has been found in area surrounding the tumor. So all in all, surgery has been successful and stiches (internal/external) both have been healed now.
    After that we had a discussion with doctor about further care and treatment and he told us that esophagus cancer is not completely curable and that any extra days she lives on after next 2 years is sort of bonus life span. I have been reading a lot about cancer and specially esophegaus cancer and still has not been able to find out information related to what doctor has been saying to us now after surgery. can some one provide more information? Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    I was looking at a few sites on esophageal cancer -If you only have the one surgeons opininion I dont see where another will hurt. There was an interesting site that may be of some help search the Patrick dempsey cancer and healing site dealt alot with esophageal cancer. and there is also a site they recommend for clinical trials that may work. I hope this was of some help.and I hope you find some answers there
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Regular User
    I think that what you have been told doesn't sound right to me. I was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer 4 years ago and underwent chemo followed by surgery to remove most of my esophagus and stomach. I was also one of those who had a successful removal of the tumor with no detectable remains.

I have been scanned annually since and have had no recurrence. I have never been told that I'd be lucky to survive 2 years. Additionally I belong to a thriving survivor group with MANY members who have survived over 20 years since surgery.

So my message is take hope from this and have a positive frame of mind. It really is possible to beat this cancer if it has not spread.

New User

Esophegal cancer curable?

Hi, a new user but I did read some of the forums earlier this year when my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 esophegal cancer that spread to his liver. It is inoperable because of the size right now. He is on his 3rd round of chemo. The tumor markers are down and his liver function is returning to normal. In a couple weeks he will have a scan to see how the tumors look. He has had a lot of weight loss but all of the supplements are helping with the side effects of the chemo, he has a lot of tiredness and sleeps a lot but otherwise is doing well with chemo.

We were also told that there is no "cure" we had a few doctors tell us he had limited time left....we didn't chose to treat with any of those doctors. We got real tired of hearing that they would try to provide "quality of life". We want remission, surgery and then we hope to try some "body balance" and other natural remedies along with any medical treatments to keep the cancer from re-occurring... I know that many people believe that is unrealistic but we think that we can win.

We live in Ohio but after getting 4-5 opinions around us, and interviewing doctors and listening to their treatment plans and "out look" we chose to go to The Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion, IL. They were positive and offer a variety of additional treatments that are all included for free. They also help with travel costs and hotel stays.

A doctor at Karmanos in Detroit, MI told me that he believes that the CTCA gives people "false hope" but he offered us "some chemo and we'll see" so basically he offered no hope. We pray and stay positive, he is in good health up until this. He is only 48 years old and we are both scared but we will fight this and BELIEVE that we can beat it.

We of course are new to this battleground of cancer, I read so many of these pages and am both saddened and encouraged by the stories.

My mother had breast cancer in 1995 and was told she would never be able to be cured, that she'd be lucky to live a few years. She passed away ten years later only after all the treatments had run out and her liver was affected. God Rest her soul she fought and had many years more than they thought she ever would. She is now our inspiration.

God Bless you and stay positive and strong!
    God Bless you all and Pray daily for a cure to cancer,
    Lee

Regular User
    Well, I do not agree with the point that after two years, any day is a bonus. I am still regularly seeing patients who were operated in late nineties for cancer of esophagus, and still coming for follow up regularly. In your mother, if it was completely removed, then that's good. The 5 year survival in esophagus cancer is not as good as with other cancers like breast and colorectal, and so many patients tend to get a recurrence in the first two years after surgery, especially if tumour was bulky, or in advanced stage. But still , even after recurrence, there are other modalities to increase life further. That's why your doctor may have said that statement, keeping in mind risk of recurrence. But there is no need to get carried away by that statement. What a patient needs is to be happy (happiness improves body resistance), eat well, get lots of TLC and come for regular timely check ups, and rest will be taken care of.

As far as I know then it needs to be taken care as it is curable because, my neighbor suffered from this problem and she got cured too. I think it is very important for us to know about the symptoms and should consult with the doctor before it gets worse.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread