A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recovery after stoma pouch removal

Regular User

Recovery after stoma pouch removal

Hello,
    Last year (July) my father had surgery where they removed part of his colon with tumor. Drs put a bag and recently it has been removed. How long does it take to fully recover and attain relatively normal bowel movements after the ostomy removal.

Thank you

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Hi thats good news that he got the reversal. from my understanding depends on how much bowel was removed to begin with. And after the trauma of surgery again it takes quite awhile I know some people here had the reversal and hopefully will be able to let you know their experiences -they are out there it just may take some time to get a response. just wanted to acknoweledge your post. sorry I cant be of more help. Hopethings are back to normal for him soon.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Regular User
    thank you sheila for kind words.
    best
    remy

Regular User
    Hi remy,
    the recovery is usually fairly rapid. Patient initially tend to have hard stools initially. But do give him a lot of water, and adequate roughage so stool formation is good. Also, if they have removed the rectum is prior surgery (I dont know where the primary tumour was), then the frequency of stools may be slightly higher, maybe a few times in a day, as the rectal reservoir is absent.

Regular User
    thank you sumeetshah.
    he has way too frequent bathroom trips and liquidy stools, surgery removed sigmoidal part of colon, not the rectum.
    thanks again

Regular User
    I had my reversal done April 4. I take a packet of Metamucil twice a day which keeps the stool at about the right consistency. I wear a diaper in case I have a movement which I cannot control. Haven't had much trouble with that problem. However, when I have to go, it is good to be close to a toilet. Seems like when I stand after sitting for a while I get the urge but don't always have to go. I go through the night without having to have a BM. Sometimes I have a series of BM's that occur between breakfast and lunch but not always. Also sometimes I have a series of BM's between 8 and 9 in the evening. The afternoon's are pretty good. I believe there is a procedure for bowel training posted on this forum you might look for it.

I had about 3 inches removed just above the rectum.

I have had a lot of other problems that have caused me more problems than BM's. About a month after the first operation I had a complete kidney failure caused by dehydration (not drinking enough water). This problem still plagues me. I have diabetes which is still not under control but we are getting there. After the last operation I had a bad case of edema and I now have some urinary incontinence.

Regular User
    Thank you so much judway.
    Sorry to hear about other complications. my father too has other complications, they placed urinary catheter since the surgery last July, and because of it he had infections and was on antibiotics every once in while since the first surgery. He has been having higher body temp since mid April and lots of antibiotics that don't help. Drs cannot figure out where the temp comes from.
    Anyways, thank you and all the best.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Thats a tough one -higher body tems in cancer patients could be so many things the cancer itself, the drug reactions, the catheter, even nonspecific from cancer could be teeth infections(teeth tend to be effected from chemo/radiation does he have bad allergies? This year has been wworse for people who have allergies -they may be overlooking something simple like sinus infections etc.. whatever it is the underlying cause of high body temps is infection somewhere and it may take awhile before they figure that one out.-Did you ask them to tell you when you should really get concerned enough to take him to the hospital should it become too high? are they keeping track daile? what did the doctor tell you besides they arent sure where its comming from? did he have any blood tranfusions wit the operation-that can happen too. Hope he gets some relief soon.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Regular User
    Sheila,
    As far as mri shows he doesn't have any cancer visible (yet), but since they put catheter he had infections, and no he is not on chemo or radiation, no bad teeth, no sinus, nothing else just this foley catheter and complications from it. They tried to remove it twice, but because of his incontinence they had to put it back, he wasn't able to regain control over the urge during the last time he tried. Now before the reversal, they admitted him with the high body temp(that developed ~10 days before hospital admission, before that he was on heavy antibiotics regime an that was able to reduce bacteria count a lot but not I guess enough to rid him of high temperature), and they gave him antibiotics, but it would go away for half a day or so and in the evening would come back. Before the reversal many tests were done (ultrasound, blood work showed slightly increased white blood cells, and bacteria in urine), and no antibiotics were able to remove the bacteria causing the fever. They didn't tell him anything specific (my mom and sister take care of him, while i am here in US) regarding recovery from reversal, for catheter they told him to replace it in a week or so, he has had catheter replacements anyhoo, and so far that seem to be the only infection 'reduction'. And on a top of that he is going through recovery from ostomy reversal.
    Thank you again Sheila.
    Best
    remy

+ Reply to Thread