A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pain from Tumor Shrinking

Regular User

Pain from Tumor Shrinking

I have quite large tumors from a follicular grade 3 lymphoma. I had my first chemo 11 days ago, and one week later begin having significant pain where the largest tumors are located. Is it common to have pain from tumor shrinkage? Or is the pain from something else? What replaces the space that the tumor previously occupied?
    DX 4/22/10
    Follicular Grade 3a
    Currently Treated with R-CHOP

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Rthomas

Sorry to hear about the pain. It should be expected and is not likely to be anything more than the tumour breaking down. The tumour has displaced the organs in its vicinity and will be replaced by those same organs, this is happening quickly and the nerves in that area will firing those pain signals to your brain. If this is really worrying you I would see the doctor and ask him. An OTC pain killer should do the trick in making it all bearable if not your doctor may prescribe something stronger. There is no point in putting up with the pain.

Good luck with it and keep us updated if you feel up to it.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

New User

Pain

I had a great deal of pain after my 1st 2 chemo treatments. I even called the doctor on call. I was afraid the pain was soo great they would stop the chemo. My doc explained to me that it was normal. My tumor was shinking and he compared it to when a mother gives birth that there is a cavity that the organ shift back to where they belong. This explaination helped a great deal. I'm at my 6th dose now and the pain gets less and less as the tumor shirnks up.
    40 yr old male
    B-Cell lymphoma
    Stage 2
    Diagnosed 2/10

Regular User
    Thanks for the replies. My pain gradually went away until it was gone by the end of the 2nd week after the first chemo. I wonder if it might return now that I've had my 2nd chemo last Thursday.

Hart1, I take it you had bulky disease or extra large tumors. Were any in the mesentery or abdomen?
    DX 4/22/10
    Follicular Grade 3a

New User

Pain

No I didn't have it in my stomach. Just in my chest. i am getting ready for stem cell in the next 2 weeks. It's auto an aut stem cell transplant. Hang in there RT you will not experience pain as you did again. You can beat this!
    40 yr old male
    B-Cell lymphoma
    Stage 2
    Diagnosed 2/10

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Rthomas

I agree with Hart1 it is unlikely that the pain you experienced the first time round will be repeated. No certainty mind you but a good probability.

Remeber those 3 rules and good luck

Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Regular User
    I thought I would update my situation.

I've had 2 cycles of R-CHOP and am tentatively scheduled to have a CAT scan next week to see if there has been any shrinkage. They have now decided there will be no more than 6 cycles of R-CHOP and the cost for the remaining R-CHOP chemo's going forward will be $1,250 per cycle. The prednisone pills and the Neulasta shot may well be affecting me more than the rest of the chemo drugs. I have experienced muscle aches for a week after both of the Neulasta shots. So far, I'm not having anywhere near the pain in my abdomen and pelvic areas like I did during the 2nd week of first chemo.

I got all the results of my bone marrow test finally and discussed the situation at length with my oncologist who said the source of his 1% cancerous bone marrow comment was microscopic analysis showing an atypical lymphoid aggregate. However, both the FISH (cytogenetic analysis) and flow cytometry analysis reported there was no evidence of cancer.

I'm trying to think ahead about my next move if after the 6 cycles I still have resicudual cancer. I would be more optimistic about having a complete response except for the bulky disease (mine seems to be especially bulky). The oncologist has mentioned a stem cell transplant but right now I'm leaning toward RIT like Zevalin.
    DX 4/22/10
    Follicular Grade 3a

Regular User
    Hart1,

I take it you're referring to an autologous stem cell transplant. That's a bit of a departure to go for the stem cell transplant instead of the more common radiation. The latter seems to be the typical post RCHOP treatment for mediastinal diffuse large b-cell lymphomas.

Did your oncologist tell you there was something different about your diagnosis that suggested a transplant was the way to go?
    DX 4/22/10
    Follicular Grade 3a

New User

rthomas

Rthomas,
    Thanks for the replies. My oncoloist thinks he will get rid of the cancer totally if he does the stem cell. He seemed confident and so did the stem cell doctor he sent me to. They stopped me at 6 RCHOPs. He believes that I am 40 and they believe I can beat this totally if I go with the stem cell on initial treatment what do you think? They said odds are invreased with stem cell if I do not have radiation 1st. I went through a series of tests and have spoinal tap scheduled for next week.

Hart1
    40 yr old male
    B-Cell lymphoma
    Stage 2
    Diagnosed 2/10

Regular User
    I didn't mean to imply by my question that I thought there was something wrong and remember that I'm no expert on cancer. It just seemed to me that going to an auto stemcell transplant is a departure from the normal treatment for primary mediastinal large b-cell lymphomas I've seen where they follow up with radiotherapy. Having said that, I know several cases where patients had the "usual radiotherapy" after chemo only to relapse within 12 months and were only cured after having an auto transplant.

Considering your original mass was 5" x 8," I definitely think you need some sort of secondary treatment. Bulky tumors are notorious for causing relapses even in highly treatable lymphomas.

I have been assuming you have primary mediastinal large b-cell lymphomas which has one of the best cure rates among the b-cell lymphomas. What chemo are you going to undergo for the transplant?

How were the results from your 3rd PET scan?
    DX 4/22/10
    Follicular Grade 3a

I do heard about how stem cell is helpful and how it can be beneficial for us too as, there are many things that needs to be understand when treatment requires for Lymphomas.

I know when it gets very painful then it is better to treat it and remove it so that to get rid of the problem.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread