A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone detect strange odor before being diagnosed?

New User

anyone detect strange odor before being diagnosed?

Something very strange happened to me before I was diagnosed with cancer. I helped take care of my mother who died from Lung cancer metastasis, then a lady who was placed on Hospice care with cancer. They both had this "odor" about them. Not from not being kept clean, just an overall body scent.
    I had irregular bleeding but not until one night when I got up from a chair at work did I actually believe I might have cancer. Blood literally gushed out of me like a water faucet that had been turned on full blast. I am 57 years old and had not gone through menapause yet.
    One night I was sitting on my toilet and I could detect a certain odor that smelled familiar. I thought to myself, I smell like my mother and how the other lady smelled. I made a Dr's appt with the OBGYN. But before I went to the doctor my grand-daughter spent the night with me and was taking a bath. I had to use the bathroom so I sat on the toilet in the same bathroom while she bathed. She got out of the tub and came over to me while I was on the toilet. Do you know what she said? She said and I quote, " I smell Nana". I knew I had cancer if a 3 year old could detect that same odor. I was diagnosed with Uterine cancer and had my surgery a few months ago.

Hi MCX2010,

Welcome to the forums . Wow, that is odd. I never noticed any odor, but I also lost of lot my sense of smell from an endoscopic surgery to repair a spinal fluid leak some years before. Like you, I also experienced blood gushing out like a faucet. It was quite alarming.

How are you doing now? What stage and type of uterine cancer were you diagnosed with?
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Stage III-C Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
    Grade 2
    My Story:
    http://fierytrial.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/my-diagnosis

New User
    I have always been very sensitive to smells and odor. ever since i can remember. I know this may seem weird to some people but its the truth. I just know this, since my cancer surgery, the scent/odor is gone.

I was diagnosed with Stage1, grade 1 Adenocarcinoma. At first when the initial biopsy results came back from the OBGYN, they had on the paper grade 2. But after my surgery, the pathology report said grade 1. They took out my lymph nodes and the report came back negative for cancer of the lymph nodes. The gushing of blood happened twice. The second time was 5 days before my surgery.
    It took 8 full weeks for my incision to heal. It got infected--right away after surgery--had MRSA, cellulitis around the incision. It was a nightmare getting healed up!
    Dealing with alittle depression.

Hi MCX2010,

I believe you regarding the smell. My spinal fluid has a distinct internal odor when it goes awry, but I have trouble at times smelling outside odors. Most of the doctors I have seen basically say "I have never heard of a leak having an odor". It also has a taste--simply yucky.

Your prognosis according to what I have learned about it, should be very, very good! The cancer was caught early, no lymph node involvement, and Grade 1 is a slow growing cancer. I believe you are going to do just fine!

That just wreaks to develop an infection during your surgery. Sorry to hear that, its bad enough to hear those words "you have cancer". My sister developed a staph infection from her hysterectomy a couple of years ago. It was a tough go for many days.

Thank you for sharing these details. I wondered at what stages a woman may experience blood gushing out like we have discussed here. It seems it can be any stage such a symptom may manifest. I will have to look into what other conditions can produce such--because other benign conditions may possibly cause it too.

I think feeling depressed is natural. It's shattering to get a cancer diagnosis, and it is like your world gets turned upside down. I suggest counseling, and contacting support groups in your local area. They can be tremendously helpful. I know my faith in God has carried me far. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed as to how things are going.
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Grade 2
    My Story:

New User
    thank you for all the nice words and comfort!!
    One thing I forgot to mention was i did also have fibroids. I dont know if that first gush of blood was partly from that or not. I do know my cloth chair/seat looked like a crime scene. I tried everything to get the blood out. Do you know what finally got rid of all the blood??? Easy Off Oven Cleaner (Cold Oven type). !!!! I tried everything from Pine Sol, carpet cleaners, Mr Clean, Vinegar/baking soda solutions. Nothing worked until out of desperation I sprayed" Easy Off" for cold ovens. Took it out.
    Thanks again!

Hi MCX2010

Thank you for the cleaning tips! I might go try Easy Off on other stubborn stains around the house now...

MCX2010, you take care, and feel free to come back with any questions. Also let us know how your first followup visit goes. I would think your followups will be at least every three to six months for the first couple of years.
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Grade 2
    My Story:

+ Reply to Thread