A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rectal cancer recurrence 3 months after MRI and colonoscopy

Regular User

Rectal cancer recurrence 3 months after MRI and colonoscopy

Hi everybody,
    I have a big dilemma
    my dad had cancer removal surgery last July, with temporary stoma pouch. In March he had MRI and colonoscopy, everything was ok, blood markers ok. In May he had ostomy reversal, his recovery has been very slow and painful. During the first surgery they placed urinal catheter so he had infection and received lots of antibiotics along the way. Since April he had higher body temperature that won't go away, no matter how strong antibiotics he got. His wound from reversal was hurting him as well and during one of this high temperature incidents doctor in er told him that his wound has puss (infected). His surgeon didn't do anything about the wound but suggested another colonoscopy, beause he suspects cancer recurrence.
    He had it today and they found abnormalities in the rectum wall, and took it for biopsy that will be done in ~ 10 days. (All of this is happening in another country)
    Is it possible that MRI and colonoscopy in March didn't detect any abnormalities, but barely 3 months later does? BTW his surgeon told him that if biopsy turns out to be cancer he will operate him in July and put permanent stoma pouch.
    My father still has that urinal catheter, without it he has incontinence, which means that during the first surgery they cut his nerves.
    Irony of it is that we all thought it would be quick recovery, since his stage was II, no lymph nodes involved, there was no need for radiotherapy or chemo, but he just doesn't have luck.
    Can anybody here on forum tell of their experience with urinal catheter issues and recurrence of cancer in the same area?
    Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    so sorry your dads going through all this Mom had an option of reversal in the beginning and her oncologist sugested she waited through one more scan after chemo and that took her to six months with a fast reaccurance-had she gone through the reversal they would have had to go back to the stoma-we are glad that didnt happen. I think thats more devastating to them-I really do feel bad he had to go through that.so my answer is yes thats very possible for that to happen..unfortunately.
    as far as the catheter-I dont have any advise on that-They did ask mom if they needed to remove any bladder would she be willing to have a bag for urine as well-she said no, luckily thy were able to salvage that. If they had damaged the nerves did they say the catheter was permanant or did they suggest a permanant out put for urine as well? Ill say a prayer for him tonight and I hope soon they are able to get rid of the infection where ever it is occuring
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Regular User
    thank you sheila for reply and the prayer.
    Hope your mum is better now.
    They didn't tell anything about the catheter, just it has to be that way, maybe permanent maybe not.
    good night now an all of you have a pleasant dreams.

I also am sorry to hear what your father is going through and give my prayers and thoughts to him, you and your family.

I"s it possible that MRI and colonoscopy in March didn't detect any abnormalities, but barely 3 months later does?" Yes it is possible as things can chance in not only three months but one month and sometimes as little as two weeks. BUT if you have any concerns ask the Dr's the same questions and if they do not satisfy you then get a second opinion.

I cannot speak to the urinal catheter issues and recurrence of cancer in the same area but I do ask, how is the wound doing? It sounds like they had not addressed that at all, have they finally done so?
    Total hysterectomy July 23 2008, mass in colon.
    Colonoscopy Aug 2008
    Rigid Sigmoidoscopy with a laparoscopic-assisted partial colectemy with enbloc small bowel resection Sep 2008
    Diagnosed: Stage IV Colon Cancer mets to lungs and liver. (T3,N2,M1,G2) KRAS Mutation
    Started chemotherapy: 09/14/09 Folfox-6/Avastin then Camptosar/Avastin & last Folfox-6/Avastin
    On Hospice, started 11/12/10
    Last PET scan: Oct 12th
    Most recent CEA Level: 09/27/10: 696.7 up from 08/16/10: 284.8

Regular User
    Thank you topazil.
    He cannot get second opinion, because drs over there don't want to deal with cases that already started treatment somewhere else.
    And so far they didn't do anything about the wound, they just let us wait for biopsy result, and already reserved spot for my father for anticipated surgery in July. I wish they are wrong. What worries me most is how is he gonna take it. 2 surgeries less than 2 months apart, he hasn't even recovered from ostomy reversal, and I doubt he will in less than a month with all the complications that still drag on.
    Thank you again and all the best to you.

+ Reply to Thread