A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inoperable Glioblastoma multiforme......?

New User

Inoperable Glioblastoma multiforme......?

I apologize for this possibly very stupid-sounding question....
    (And,please forgive me;my english isnt the best.I come from Spain)
    I know that I should better just ask a Doctor...
    But right now I am just sitting here being VERY worried about a friend of mine...and I would really like to hear YOUR thoughts the situation.

A very good friend of mine(age 25)has been diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme.She has been to atleast three doctors already and they all say that the tumor is inoperable.
    I dont know much about braincancer but from what I have heard and read surgery should be pretty much the only alternative to treat Glioblastoma multiforme...but her doctors say that she will just be given Radiation theraphy....
    Could you people here perhaps try to tell me WHY a surgery isnt possible?
    CAN Glioblastoma multiforme really be inoperable?
    WHY?Are there parts of the brain that you just cant do any surgery on?
    (If so,which parts of the brain?)

I am so worried about my friend.
    Please,let me hear your thoughts about all this.

With best regards
    Clara-Maria

Barcelona,Spain

Top User
    Dear Clara-Maria,

What sometimes makes a brain tumor inoperable is that it affects large parts of the brain, or vital structures, therefore removing it would be fatal. Surgery is the best way to treat glioblastoma, and still the outcomes are not very good. I am hoping that we have new treatments as soon as possible.

best regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

Re: Inoperable Glioblastoma multiforme......?

My dad was diagnosed with a GBM in his right temporal lobe. Luckily, they were able to go in and remove everything they could see.

They told us ahead of time that they felt it was in a favorable area for removable, especially since it wasn't on his dominant side and wasn't affecting his speech or motor areas. They did tell us that they couldn't be sure until they had him opened up and got inside his head.

Another man with a GBM was being operated on right before my dad. His family was in the waiting room beside us. He had been told they would be able to remove it, but when our surgeon came out he told his family that unfortunately they couldn't. They took some tissue samples and closed him back up.

On a positive note, from what I've been told, young people like your friend usually have a better prognosis.

I wish her luck.

Re: Inoperable Glioblastoma multiforme......?

Hello,

I am afraid to tell you that there are definitely tumors that are inoperable. My mother had one -- A GBM IV in the right parietial lobe. She had no symptoms until the tumor was very large - she was diagnosed and three weeks later she was gone. It was horrible. I am sorry but I don't have good news about this type of cancer - it is devastating. My mother was offered the standard treatment regimen for this type of tumor, but she opted not to take it. She was told it would not cure her, and maybe, would slow the progress of the tumor. These tumors can double in size in 2 weeks. My mother deteriorated rapidly. She first lost her ability to read, then some short term memory and finally her spatial relations. She was unable to navigate from the hospital bed to the bathroom and did not know how to get from one place to another. When discharged from Mass General in Boston, she was sent home with hospice -- they gave her up to 6 months to live. She lasted only 10 days. While treatment may have prolonged her life, she did not want to do so in the state she was in.....quality of life is important as well. I am sorry to write to you with such disheartening news, but this is a devastating cancer and one of the worst....we can only hope that some day they will find a cure....[/b]

New User
    Thank you,so much,for your replies.....

mhopusa,
    may I send you a pm?
    I would really like to get in contact with you.

Regards,
    Clara-Maria
    ~*~ Clara-Maria ~*~

Dear Clara,

Please, read my thread here

http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=1880

My mother could never be operated, and she would have died in 10 days if she hadn't done the treatment... It's impossible to explain the satisfaction I have when I look at her, and how well she is now.

+ Reply to Thread