A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stage iV - liver and both lungs

Newbie New User

Stage iV - liver and both lungs

My husband (late 40s) has colorectal cancer spread through all the liver and present in both lungs. After 6 months chemo the cancer is reduced significantly but is still there in all those vital organs - just less of it. More chemo is the only answer but for now he's 'resting' for 3 months and has been told to 'enjoy the summer'. I'd be grateful to hear of other experiences of anyone who is/was approx the same age, with the same spread (liver AND lungs) and how it has or did affect them. I see lots of commentary on a spread to the liver, but not much/any that includes the lungs.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    wish I could help. I wanted to acknoweledge your post anyway. moms situation is too different shes 76 was diagnosed in 06 stage IV colon cancer then 3 years later went to liver-she had a resection, with some spots ablated. then it went back to colon with treatments in between of course, If you keep checking someone eles may have a better comparison to your situation. One person that may know something I believe is on vacation. hang in there and Ill at least pray for him Hes young and he has a better chance of battling this..theres lways hope-dont let him give up-something new is developing every day to battle cancer.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Hello JessicaAnn, I am the one who Sheila was speaking about. I am stage IV colon cancer which is metastasized to both lungs and liver. I am sorry to hear about your husband's and thereby your situation. I was 48 when they found the tumor after a total hysterectomy (had nothing to do with the cancer, I was just tired of the monthly mess, had my tubes tied cut and burned since I had my second child years ago and was approaching menopause) they say it looked to have been growing for at least 2 years prior to being found but they only count the day of finding as the start day so July 23rd I will have survived this two years, I am now 50 years old.

The statistics that are shown on the websites are pretty much old news as they have not come out with more recent statistics than about 2007. I beat the 6-9 month "no treatment" statistic by going about a year and two months without any treatment, no chemotherapy, no radiation, nothing. MOST of the statistics say with treatment stage IV colon cancer mets to lungs and liver go about 2 to 2 1/2 years. Well I am approaching the two year mark and see no problem in making the at least three year mark but am going to try for the four year mark. I have the KRAS mutation which means some forms of chemotherapy will not work for me so I have less options than most. The statistics for 5 year survival rates (Which mean not just making it to 5 years but beyond also) are about 10% now for us from what I understand.

Okay those are the statistics, here are the realities: It helps to think of this as an ongoing disease to be treated like heart disease or diabetes, there is no cure, but the more years we put behind us with this the more time we buy in new options coming up.

My first chemotherapy and the one I will be going back on this coming Monday was called Folfox-6 and added to that was Avastin. I received my treatment every other Monday and for two days after had to have this pack that kept pumping part of the chemotherapy. The side effects were fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, also sensitivity to hands and cold in my mouth and my hands and feet and body. The last three came after 6 rounds of chemotherapy and had just started to get bad.

Then my Oncologist put me on Avastin alone as a maintenance therapy for a few months and I developed high blood pressure which I take a beta-blocker.

Then my Oncologist put me on Camptosar with Avastin for a bit over three months. Side effects were diarrhea, headaches, nausea and my hair fell out in clumps until we shaved my head. That was a few months back now and I have about 1/4 inch of hair on my head that is sparse, patchy and thin.

After my last PET scan the end of June after my last chemotherapy treatment June 14, it was found the chemotherapy was not working and I had more cancer cells that were also growing in my lungs and liver. We are starting me on Folfox-6 with Avastin again as when he took me off it the first time it was still working.

I will have been off chemotherapy a little over a month when I go back Monday to restart the Folfox-6 with Avastin so a break is a good thing as it gives your body a chance to recover from the side effects and get back into fight mode when you get a bit to overwhelmed by the side effects.

I don't know what else to tell you but please let me know of any specific questions or thoughts you might have and you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Marsha
    Total hysterectomy July 23 2008, mass in colon.
    Colonoscopy Aug 2008
    Rigid Sigmoidoscopy with a laparoscopic-assisted partial colectemy with enbloc small bowel resection Sep 2008
    Diagnosed: Stage IV Colon Cancer mets to lungs and liver. (T3,N2,M1,G2) KRAS Mutation
    Started chemotherapy: 09/14/09 Folfox-6/Avastin then Camptosar/Avastin & last Folfox-6/Avastin
    On Hospice, started 11/12/10
    Last PET scan: Oct 12th
    Most recent CEA Level: 09/27/10: 696.7 up from 08/16/10: 284.8

Hi JessicaAnn! Your husband's case is pretty similar to my mom's. My mom is 52, diagnosed with Stage IV colorectal cancer on September 2009 with mets to liver and lung. She later went on Avastin and Xeloda. It shrunk the tumor, but after she stopped chemo and did another scan in May, results came back that her tumor in her liver had grown larger and there are more tumors in her both lungs now. Now we are waiting for her to start her next chemo (Irinotecan) and she recently did radiotherapy on an inoperable rectal tumor which is the cause of all her pain and rectal tenesmus. Sadly, radiotherapy and chemo will only reduce the tumor by that little bit cuz the tumor is kinda 'fixed.'. Currently she's on morphine and feeling sleepy all the time, has no appetite to eat and mild constipation. Other than that she's doing okay =)

Well, it's a good thing you came to this forum to find out more. We definitely have to do a lot of research to help them. In fact, thank god for the internet and this forum, I've learnt so much more and met so many lovely people who are willing to help. So don't worry, you're at the right place. See you around!
    helpless 21 yr old girl with mom diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer.

Hello JessicaAnn, just checking in to see how things are and if the information given was any help and if you have any other questions or concerns we can help with. Hope all is well and you and your husband and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Marsha
    Total hysterectomy July 23 2008, mass in colon.
    Colonoscopy Aug 2008
    Rigid Sigmoidoscopy with a laparoscopic-assisted partial colectemy with enbloc small bowel resection Sep 2008
    Diagnosed: Stage IV Colon Cancer mets to lungs and liver. (T3,N2,M1,G2) KRAS Mutation
    Started chemotherapy: 09/14/09 Folfox-6/Avastin then Camptosar/Avastin & last Folfox-6/Avastin
    On Hospice, started 11/12/10
    Last PET scan: Oct 12th
    Most recent CEA Level: 09/27/10: 696.7 up from 08/16/10: 284.8

+ Reply to Thread