A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what does this diagnoaia mean from prostate biospy

Newbie New User

what does this diagnoaia mean from prostate biospy

had prostate biospy--result was benign prostate tissue showing patchy glandular atrophy, no evidence of maligancy.

when is it safe to take another psa test

No cancer was found, as you probably know by now. You can go back to regular PSA testing. PSA has half life of 3 days or so, so within a couple of weeks any effect from the biopsy will be insignificant.

Prostatic atrophy is sometimes mistaken for cancer, according to "Benign mimickers of prostatic adenocarcinoma", in the journal Modern Pathology which says "Atrophy of prostatic glands is a common process typically but not exclusively found in older patients" http://www.nature.com/modpathol/jour.../3800055a.html

In other words, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about, but I'm not a doctor and this question is best put to your physician.

I hope you celebrate--you are not joining our club!
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

Senior User
    Hi Garth, - You specifically ask, "when is it safe to take another psa test" ? (following a Biopsy)

I must disagree with my good friend, and usually reliably accurate, Replicant's response to the question.

After a Biopsy, it is usually recommended that a patient preferably wait, AT LEAST a period of 4 to 6 weeks, before drawing a PSA blood test. It is the trauma to the Prostate tissue, caused by the invasive procedure of 12 or more needle punctures, that needs time to recover normalcy, thereby assuring accurate PSA results. PSA half-life is not the important consideration involved in this case.

Here is how the highly respected expert, Dr. Catalona of Northwestern University, answered the question about both post Rectal Exam and Biopsy waiting periods before resuming PSA testing.

"Q: How long should a man wait to have a PSA drawn after a rectal exam or any invasive rectal procedure?"
    "A: The waiting time is 48 hours after a rectal exam. A man should wait 6 to 7 weeks after a biopsy."

Hope this helps! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

And I certainly defer to John (az4peaks), good information as always!
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread