A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uterus cancer and the Mirena coil?

Newbie New User

Uterus cancer and the Mirena coil?

Hi,
    So glad to have found this forum. Has anyone out there been diagnosed with uterus/endometrial cancer while on the Mirena coil?
    I am on my second Mirena coil 2 1/2 years now - so all in all 7 1/2 years but in the last year I have been spotting. In the last 6 months or so I have been spot bleeding for up to 40 days in a row and maybe stop for 3 days, 10 days or even 2 weeks.
    Going for a hysteroscopy in the next 2 weeks and a biopsy. (been waiting for 7weeks).
    When it first started I thought it was the old menapause arriving and didn't bother too much.
    I am 46 and never had a child.
    I would like to know if anyone can relate to this or even just some advice.
    Many thanks

Hi moongal16

Welcome aboard. That's a bit of a wait for an appointment--I can relate to it. I do not know anything about the Mirena coil, other than vaguely recalling it can cause side effects related to irregular bleeding. Hopefully it is just side effects you are dealing with; however you are wise to proceed with the hysterscopy and biopsy. Perhaps others with experience or knowledge of this will post. Let us know how things turn out. You will be in my thoughts and prayers,

God Bless,
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Stage III-C Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
    Grade 2
    My Story:
    http://fierytrial.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/my-diagnosis

Regular User
    Hello Moongal,

I read that the Mirena coil can act as a preventative to Endometrial cancer by thinning the endometrium.

"A progestogen, such as the levonorgestrel in Mirena, is used to oppose oestrogen's effect on the womb lining and reduce the risk of cancer, though it does not eliminate this risk entirely."

You will find the details on the enclosed link. I hope it is of some help to you. Link deleted per forum policy

I hope that it is only side effects that you are suffering and I wish you good luck with the Hysteroscopy. Please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,
    Mel
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Diagnosed May 2010
    Stage Ib Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
    Grade 2
    Last edited by rmaureen; 08-26-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: link violation

Regular User
    I thought we could publish links that relate to cancer questions asked by members if we were a member for more than a month? That link I put in the answer dealt with the question asked by Moongal. Surely I have seen links similar to that posted on the forum?

Moongal, if you wish to contact me I can send you the link but basically the article says what I quoted from it concerning endometrial cancer and the mirena coil.

Hi Tzarena,
    You can publish links after making ten valid posts, and being a member for at least a month. BTW-I also expressed this in a pm sent to you yesterday. The forum policies explain this here: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...OR-NEW-MEMBERS
    Last edited by rmaureen; 08-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Grade 2
    My Story:

Regular User
    Hi Moongal,

I am able to publish helpful links now as I have made enough posts so I will include the link here. I read that the Mirena coil can act as a preventative to Endometrial cancer by thinning the endometrium.

"A progestogen, such as the levonorgestrel in Mirena, is used to oppose oestrogen's effect on the womb lining and reduce the risk of cancer, though it does not eliminate this risk entirely."

You will find the details on the enclosed link. I hope it is of some help to you.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001706.html
    Diagnosed May 2010
    Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
    Stage Ib
    Grade 2

Newbie New User

Uterine cancer and coil

Thankyou both rmaureen and Tzarena,
    I really appreciate your responses. I have been away for a few days and so couldn't reply. I will now go into these links.
    Since January I have been extremely tired - nipping home at lunchtime so I can sleep, I only iron as I need clothes now as I am so tired. I also went to sleep one friday evening after work and wen to bed at 6pm and woke up at almost 6am on the sunday. Every few weeks at the weekend I can sleep 14-16 hours straight. And I wake up knackered!!! I have been quite used to it now and just see it as a part of my life. I stopped going home at lunchtimes about 4 months now as I can't really do this as I am self-employed and need to be around. I have also gone down from a size 10 to an 8and again that was in January I noticed it (I bought loads in the sales!!). Havent lost any more weight since then though.
    THIS IS A QUICK HISTORY OF NHS APPOINTMENTS
    Went to GP at end of January as I was weeing a dozen times a day. He took sample in office and there was blood in urine. Told Doc it had been there for months on and off but just put it down to perhaps starting menapause. (Mum started menapause at 39 and sister at 42 - I am 46 now). He made me appointment for Urologist. Appointment for 1st March. Checked my kidneys, bladder thoroughly - all okay. I just left it there. Still blood in urine a month later and also spotting - sometimes red and sometimes brown blood. Went to Doc to check coil still there as I couldn't feel it. Doc couldn't feel it either - she said I have a tilted pelvis (knew this anyway)and she could see blood at cervix.
    Told to wait 9 weeks for gyno appointment - in meantime went to WellWomen clinic for them to check it. They did and it was there okay. Doc there tested me for sexual diseases. Waited 2 weeks for results. No sexual diseaes but I had thrush and bacterial vaginosis. Given treatment for both.
    Still bleeding most days. (spotting ).
    Got appointment with gyno for 5th July. Checked cervix and ovaries and all okay.
    Gyno said he would do hysteroscopy in 9 weeks!
    I am now in my 9th week and no appointment.
    Will call hospital tomorrow.
    Stopped bleeding for almost 3 weeks (after bleeding for 5 weeks) and now started today again.

I would also appreciate if anyone else has had the same or similar symptoms?
    Just getting a bit fed up waiting now -
    Thanks for looking

Newbie New User

Please tell me your uterus cancer symptoms so i can compare

Hi,
    I am awaiting a hysteroscopy and biopsy. Please can anyone diagnosed with either endometrial or uterus cancer tell me their symptoms. Also what your age is and your risks.
    Many thanks
    I am 46.
    Perimenapausal
    No children

Spotting on average 30-40 days in a row.
    Stop for 4, 10, fortnight in between
    Spotting and blood in urine about a year
    Extreme fatigue
    On second Mirena coil (total 7 years) - was fab for first one (5 years) and second one was great until a year ago.

Thanks

Hi moongal,

I was diagnosed at the age of 43. My condition was attributed to fibroids. It was not until my hysterectomy was the cancer discovered (the tumor was visible during the operation). I had extreme bleeding for a couple of years--it became a daily occurrence. It was common for me to go through an entire box of Kotex in a matter of hours. I passed huge clots, and would also experience nausea, great abdominal pain, hot flashes, loss of appetite, weight loss, perfuse sweating, and a distended hard abdomen. Terrible cramping and severe anemia were persistent for over a year. There has been a lot of cancer on my mother's side of my family (aunt died of breast cancer, two uncles and my grandfather of lung cancer). I thank God my twin did not develop uterine cancer, but she did develop endometriosis.

Mayo Clinic list some of the following as risk factors for endometrial cancers:

• Many years of menstruation.
    • Never having been pregnant.
    • Irregular ovulation.
    • Obesity.
    • A high-fat diet.
    • Diabetes.
    • Estrogen-only replacement therapy (ERT).
    • Ovarian tumors.
    *The Mayo website goes on to expound upon other risks factors as well, such as age, history of breast or ovarian cancer, tamoxifen treatments, race and HNPCC. The link is located here.

Maybe others will respond about their symptoms--also look through some of the threads of others who have exhibited unusual bleeding. The majority of women posting here turn out to not have cancer. I hope you get your appointment this week and get some answers soon as to what is going on. Believe for the best! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Grade 2
    My Story:

Newbie New User
    I have my appontment for monday 6th September for hysteroscopy and a biopsy. I had to phone to see if they had an appointment scheduled for me and they had but I still haven't recieved letter -od course, I will go anyway.
    Still bleeding. Quite brown in colour with a few bits of debris.... No pain.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by moongal16 View Post
    I have my appontment for monday 6th September for hysteroscopy and a biopsy. I had to phone to see if they had an appointment scheduled for me and they had but I still haven't recieved letter -od course, I will go anyway.
    Still bleeding. Quite brown in colour with a few bits of debris.... No pain.
    I had been having irregular periods all my life. I took birth control for a while. Got married in 1990 and had my two children with in a year of each other. My husband got a vacectomy so I didnt worry about getting pregnant. We divorced and I met someone so starting taking birth control again. I got tired of that and was 51 so I talked to my GYN and she suggested the Mirena. The worst thing I ever did. I had it put in last year in Feb and it was good for a while. In the end of the first year I developed a vaginal discharge that I thought was urine. All I had to do was stand up and I would soak myself. I went in for my annual check up, she found tissue that she removed and it came back positive for Uterine Cancer. I have now gone through the hysterectomy and looks like I will have to go through radiation as well. They found stage 2 grade 1 uterine cancer. Good luck with yours and anyone considering a mirena I would suggest you do some more investigation. I wish I had looked further.

Newbie New User

Mirena and cysts with tumors.

I just wanted to put it out there cause I seen that other people were having problems with tumors exc. I do not know exactly what is going on besides I have cysts and tumors. I got my mirena about 2 1/2 years ago and I have had abnormal bleeding and discharge with it.

+ Reply to Thread