A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Not sure what to do...

  1. #1
    Newbie New User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3

    Not sure what to do...

    I donít know if I have cancer or not but donít know where else to post this question. Iím 41 years old and was having stomach pain they did an MRI and found a spot on my pancreas very small 3mm on tail about 2 months ago. I went to local GI Doctor and in the past 2 months had 2 cat scans 1st cat scan showed spot on pancreas was still same size 3mm 2nd cat scan 1 month after the 1st scan showed the spot had grown 4mm still very small. I have been having bad pain and bloating but Dr. doesnít think itís from the spot on the pancreas, he wants me to have a EUS to further examine the pancreas but they donít do that type of test in the area I live in so I have to travel 100 miles away to Shands hospital. I met with the GI Dr at Shands yesterday and he said he would do the EUS but because the spot is so small no biopsy. He also said because of my age he wanted to know if I was leaning towards having surgery to remove tail of pancreas or if I wanted wait and see if it grows. Iím scared my grandfather died from PC and I donít know what to do I really donít want to have a major surgery and possible become a diabetic but if I wait and see if it grows does it make my chances of full recovery less? My Husbands says wait & see Iím not sure what to do. Any information is greatly appreciated.
    -Jackie

  2. #2
    Senior User susan92084's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    148
    ok i'm not a doctor but it has grown some. and you need to find out what the maximum size of growth they can remove because all hospitals have guide lines for this. if it's close that you may want to consider if you want to risk it getting to big to do surgery on. i'm pretty sure that the smaller it is the less side effects you have from surgery. but i'm not a doctor this is just my opinion.

    best of luck.
    -25 married to josh who is the one with cancer. he is 26
    -diagnosed may 12th 2010
    - extranodal nk/ t-cell lymphoma nasal type
    -after 6 weeks of radation it spreed from stage 2 to stage 4
    -4 rounds of smile chemo therapy later it was in remission
    - dec 19th 2010 allogenic bone marrow transplant
    -january relapse
    - long story short docs are confused as to why he is still alive
    -started a new chemo folotyn (pralatrexate injection)

  3. #3
    Newbie New User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thank you... you brought up some things I never even thought of. I guess I'm still numb from the thought of having surgery let alone it could be cancer.
    Thanks,
    -Jackie

  4. #4
    I am a 57 year old male.Last august I had upper abdomen pain and bloating.they thought it was acid reflux.next day the walk in clinic called and said go the hospital.my lypase and amylase was way high from normal,that meant blockage to pancreas.cat scan and ultra sound showed nothing.sent me to my doctor.he sent me to gastroenterologist.he sends me back to the same hospital for mri.all this took a month.mri showed 3mm.sent me to do endoscopy biopsy.it was diagnosed pancreatic cancer.pet scan showed stage 4.It was going to be a month for a clinical trial and they gave me 3-9 months to live so I wasnt going to wait for that and started chemo gemzar and tarceva pill.Now a year later I am in remission.I wouldnt wait.ask to have a ca 19-9 done.its a blood test for cancer marker.its not 100% accurate.mine was 3000,normal is less than 37,now its 18.I wouldnt wait.mine was andenocarcinoma,very fast moving.

  5. #5
    Newbie New User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    Postman,
    Wow… thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you’re doing better now. I did have blood work done Tuesday and one of the test was ca19-9 they told me it would take a week for results because lab had to send it out I'm also having a EUS on 9/21/10 and from there we will decide what to do.
    Once again thank you for the information
    -Jackie

 
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts