A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pain on right side of head

Regular User

pain on right side of head

This may be an odd question but I get a dull pain on the right side of my head at times. Its like a toothache pain. The pain worsens when it's time for my period. Could this be a tumor and does menstuation sometimes cause pain to worsen with tumors? The pain is right behind my temple above my ear.

Regular User
    Hi. Sorry you are having pain. Ive had a dull ache in my right temple for 3 years now. I live in the uk and it took me 18 months just to get an mri as my gp was convinced it was tension headaches. It turns out i have a pineal cyst but the neurologist still insists this isnt causing the pain. Do you have any other symptoms other than right side ache? I also have pressure in my head especially when bending and tinnitus in both ears. Are you able to sleep on your right side? I have increased pain when laying on my right side. My advice would be to keep pestering your gp if the pain persists. Im male so i cant help with you period question sorry.

Regular User
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have trouble sleeping on that side but my right ear always hurts. I even had my dr. look at my ear before and she said everything looked fine. I haven't been to the doctor for my headaches. They started just a few months ago, but the pain increases around my period. Although I don't have trouble sleeping on my right side, that side is more tender to touch than the left. A few months ago right before the pain started I had a really weird feeling in my head. It was almost like a clicking or popping sensation. Then I got a pretty sharp pain on that side. After that happened I just have these dull pains. Weird. For the record, I am 41.

Experienced User
    You might ask your gynecologist about it if your period amplifies the pain. At least to get another Dr's opinion.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Mother with Glioblastoma Multiforme, had surgery 4/23/07, at age 63. Survived 1272 days afterward. Her last 24 on hospice.
    Father with Glioblastoma Multiforme, had surgery 11/2/09, at age 66. Survived 433 days afterward. His last 154 on hospice.

http://www.gildasclub.org/
    Its 100% free and offers support, networking, and social activities to cancer patients and their families and friends.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sandrak, I am sorry you are in pain. Pain is not usually directly associated with brain cancers unless it is in the base of the brain or spinal cord. There probably is another cause for the pain. Remind me, did you have a biopsy/surgery on that side?
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by brainman View Post
    sandrak, I am sorry you are in pain. Pain is not usually directly associated with brain cancers unless it is in the base of the brain or spinal cord. There probably is another cause for the pain. Remind me, did you have a biopsy/surgery on that side?
    No, no surgery at all. Just a clicking sensation one day then pain on and off since then. I remember that after the clicking sensation and before the pain it felt as if someone had a vice squeezing that part of my brain. Weird!

+ Reply to Thread