A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A death from Glioblastoma Multiforme

Newbie New User

Question A death from Glioblastoma Multiforme

I know it's hard to talk about, but how does it end? How does one die from Glioblastoma, especially frontal lobe tumors? I tried to google it, and I find that death from glioblastoma is usually due to cerebral edema or increased intracranial pressure. But I don't know anything about it. Is it painful? Do patients die in sleep? What exactly happen to them? How does it look like?

Thank you very much for all your answers. Sorry for my poor english, I'm from Europe and don't speak english very well.

Experienced User
    Brainman and Doublewhammy will be able to provide you with personal experience. However, if you google brain hospice, it will take you to a site that will answer your question. It even includes a timeline.

Take care,

Arleen

Experienced User
    It all depends on the location in the brain. Lots of different areas of the brain handle lots of different bodily functions.
    Whatever function is handled by the brain area next to the tumor will exhibit symptoms. For example, my moms first symptoms were increased heart rate and difficulty selecting words for speaking. Fast forward to her final month, she could only speak a couple of words at a time, and her last week she couldn't speak at all. My Dad's symptoms were really moody. I thought he seemed like a depressed zombie when he was first exhibiting symptoms.

You arent really going to find one good reference that tells you how a GBM patient dies, since there are so many combinations based on tumor location affecting whatever brain function is handled in the same area. Im sorry theres no good answer to your question. I was doing the same research a while back and also found
    that there are few easy answers. I will say this- their oncologist told me that a fair amount of the time the patient dies during sleep of a brain hemorrhage.

I wish it was that easy with my mom- her breathing, pulse, and body temp all were malfunctioning near the end. I dont know if theyre going to do an autopsy on her, but my basic opinion in layman's terms is that her brain finally short circuited and stopped working.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Mother with Glioblastoma Multiforme, had surgery 4/23/07, at age 63. Survived 1272 days afterward. Her last 24 on hospice.
    Father with Glioblastoma Multiforme, had surgery 11/2/09, at age 66. Survived 433 days afterward. His last 154 on hospice.

http://www.gildasclub.org/
    Its 100% free and offers support, networking, and social activities to cancer patients and their families and friends.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by artaran View Post
    Brainman and Doublewhammy will be able to provide you with personal experience. However, if you google brain hospice, it will take you to a site that will answer your question. It even includes a timeline.

Take care,

Arleen

Thank you. {Link deleted per forum policy}- That's exactly what I needed.
    Last edited by brainman; 10-21-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cancer itself is almost never the direct reason for a person's death. More often it is something associated with the cancer such as swelling of the brain, respiratory failure... As with DoubleWhammy's mother, it can often be a multi-system failure. If there is a good thing about GBMIV, in most cases, death is painless with the person becoming less and less alert.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Thank you for your honesty. It is hard to get answers from our doctors. Its like they are afraid to tell us anything bad. I am so sorry to hear that you lost both parents to this horrible cancer. My aunt has finished her treatment but I fear what the future holds.

+ Reply to Thread