A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Active cells' vs Polyps

Newbie New User

'Active cells' vs Polyps

Hi,

A month ago I had surgery for hemroids. I was then told that the tissue they removed contained some 'active cells'. The doctor suggested I have a colonoscopy in order to see what’s going on. He said not to panic ...... I did not panic....however, no matter how hard you try, you seem to not have your thoughts under control and I have been walking around for a month thinking of these 'active cells' & trying to find out what they mean and what I should expect!
    Yesterday, a month later I went for a check up. I was surprised how painful it still was as I thought the wound would have completely healed by this time.
    I asked the doctor to explain the 'active cells' to me as I did not know what to make of it. He said they found a polyp in the tissue they have removed during the surgery. He assumes that there will be more & therefore even though I am only 40, it is best to have a colonoscopy as soon as possible.
    To be prepared for what may come, I have been reading through the forum to gain as much information as I possibly can. In doing that I found a few massages related to the possible symptoms one can have. One of these symptoms is the ‘ribbon stool’. I have been trying to explain or describe this to my wife for a while, but I was never ‘creative’ in categorising my stool in types. But when I read about the ‘ribbon stool’ it sounded very familiar. To be honest with you, I never ever looked at my stool until about two months ago when, basically overnight, hemroids decided to take over my life. Ever since then I have been monitoring every toilet visit. I can say that there are two frequent types with me. Either pasty and very annoying or ‘ribbon type’. It is the ‘ribbing’ type that concerns me as often is seems to also be covered in a layer if mucus. I have also noticed that there is little or no change in colour regardless of what I may have eaten the day before. The colour is ochre brown all the time. I do not have cramps as such however my stomach never seems ‘settled’.

If anyone can tell me more I would appreciate it.
    Otherwise I will keep you updated on my situation. Maybe some day someone will benefit from my experience. For those of you who have contributed to the forum already, thank you for sharing it with us, it is very helpful. You see my sister has breast cancer ad is on her 4th chemo session. So the forum has also helped me understand what she is going through.

Thanks,

Goga

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Gogga-first of all the possible active cells they found were in the biopsy of the polyp(which you siaid they removed) they want you to be aware that because they got that out there may have been some escapees -the colonoscopy is preventative to make sure-if they were to see a small growth deleoping they can get it then. you said you were also still sore from the previous removal-which may also lead to the inconsistence in your stools your intestines were a bit traumatized and are trying to adjust-could take awhile. mucus is mostly the shedding of the lining (a self clean process ) unless you have had a cold flu etc and as long as its not yellowish or green its probably not an infection. I pray you have good reults so that your mind can be put at ease. keep us posted
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Again I agree with all Sheila has said and cannot really add more but keep you in my thoughts and prayers (((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))
    Total hysterectomy July 23 2008, mass in colon.
    Colonoscopy Aug 2008
    Rigid Sigmoidoscopy with a laparoscopic-assisted partial colectemy with enbloc small bowel resection Sep 2008
    Diagnosed: Stage IV Colon Cancer mets to lungs and liver. (T3,N2,M1,G2) KRAS Mutation
    Started chemotherapy: 09/14/09 Folfox-6/Avastin then Camptosar/Avastin & last Folfox-6/Avastin
    On Hospice, started 11/12/10
    Last PET scan: Oct 12th
    Most recent CEA Level: 09/27/10: 696.7 up from 08/16/10: 284.8

+ Reply to Thread