A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about metastatic Pleural Effusion

New User

Questions about metastatic Pleural Effusion

Hi everyone. I haven't posted anything in a long time, as my Dad has been "cancer free" since his Whipple in September of last year. My Dad had a "clear" CT scan about a month ago. It was noted that there was a little bit of fluid in his lung at the time though. This weekend, Dad was admitted to the hospital because he was feeling shortness of breath. A much larger amount of fluid was noted on x-rays. Once in the hospital they chose to do a thoratencesis (spelling??), and they ended up taking 3,400 cc's of fluid from his lung. My Dad told me that the fluid was all red.

The fluid was sent in for testing, and he is supposed to go in to see his oncologist on Wednesday to find out the results. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and what the results were. We know that this could be cancerous, but is that still possible after having a clear CT just a month ago?? If this is cancer, is there anything that they will be able to do for him? How much time do you think he will have? I would really appreaciate any insights anyone has on this!! Thanks so much!
    caretaker to my Dad who was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in March of this year. Waiting for a Whipple procedure this month.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi busymama7. They will probably recommend some form of chemotherapy since he is dealing with metastatic cancer. I am not sure what type; there are so many available. You and your father are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

New User

Not much experience out there?

Quote Originally Posted by brainman View Post
    Hi busymama7. They will probably recommend some form of chemotherapy since he is dealing with metastatic cancer. I am not sure what type; there are so many available. You and your father are in my thoughts and prayers.

I was hoping there was someone out there who had some experience with a pleural effusion after being cancer free. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers brainman. I will be taking Dad today to find out the results from the testing of the fluid. I have a feeling that the are going to say it is the return of his cancer...I just have no idea what will happen from there. I know the oncologist had told my Dad that if this cancer comes back there is not much else that can be done. However, I assumed that meant if it came back to the pancreas itself...I can't seem to find much information anywhere about a situation like this, where the main cancer has been removed, but cancer shows up elsewhere.
    Hoping to have some answers by this afternoon!!
    caretaker to my Dad who was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in March of this year. Waiting for a Whipple procedure this month.

+ Reply to Thread