A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiation and Seed Implants still have elevated psa results

Bernie

Radiation and Seed Implants still have elevated psa results

2 1/2 years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer with a psa of 300. Had radiation treatments, seed implants and have been on Nilandron (hormone therapy ever since) The first psa level after was down to 8, and has since been rising with each psa test. I have been on the Nilandron and many other meds for various problems. 6 months ago, I started getting Lupron shots every 3 months, have had 2. I just had another psa test andit is up to 112. I am feeling fine, better than before this all started. Can anyone tell me what is going on. The Dr's can't seem to find a reason. All bone scans, all other tests are negative or clear.

Thank you!

Regular User

Re: Radiation and Seed Implants still have elevated psa resu

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    2 1/2 years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer with a psa of 300. Had radiation treatments, seed implants and have been on Nilandron (hormone therapy ever since) The first psa level after was down to 8, and has since been rising with each psa test. I have been on the Nilandron and many other meds for various problems. 6 months ago, I started getting Lupron shots every 3 months, have had 2. I just had another psa test andit is up to 112. I am feeling fine, better than before this all started. Can anyone tell me what is going on. The Dr's can't seem to find a reason. All bone scans, all other tests are negative or clear.

Thank you!
    It would be useful if Bernie would provide info on his TNM stage and Gleason score at dx.

Also: what is the current PSA velocity? That is, how quickly is it rising from test to test?

And regarding tests, has Bernie had a "free PSA" test? The lower the score, the higher the risk of PCa.

This sounds like hormone-refractory PCa cells are loose, but I'm uncertain. It is expected that androgen deprivation therapy (hormone therapy) will become ineffective in 18 - 24 months because the cancer cells (if any remain post-therapy) will adapt to the absence of testosterone and proliferate without it.

Until the cells "take root" somewhere, usually bones and/or lymph nodes, they are difficult if not impossible to find. They usually betray their presence via elevation of PSA.

What is the specialty of Bernie's physician; urologist, medical oncologist, radiaton oncologist, other?

Regards,

Steve J
    __
    "Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''
    --Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

+ Reply to Thread