A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adult T Cell Lymphoma is it curable 4th stage

Newbie New User

Adult T Cell Lymphoma is it curable 4th stage

My Dad M Krishnan (62 yrs), was having skin lesions for more than a year and it did not improve an iota taking medications. The problem started when he had congestion in chest and sever breathlessness and got admitted in hospital near to home town on Sep-18-2010, where in it was found that was pericardial effusion, and further investigation stated that his WBC count being abnormally high, further tests revealed that he is in 4th stage of blood cancer, with many lymph nodes enlarged, he was moved to a super specialty hospital, where in he went through battery of other tests and the flow cytometry of Peripheral blood declared the symptom of Adult T-cell lymphoma and also had major symptoms of Sezary syndrome. His blood report had htlv virus positive too.
    Doctor told us it is high time to interfere medically , He had given a chop in the same hospital, Since I am put up at elsewhere in (Chennai), I enquired various hospitals in Chennai for his treatment and found Adayar Cancer Institute best for his treatment, further and got him admitted on Oct-11-2010 and Doctors found his counts(TC) reducing with previous chemo, and decided to continue with the same treatment and was given same CHOP and asked us to visit hospital every alternate day for the blood test and usual check up, for first few days the count was back normal, and to our shock it started increasing drastically and came to 1.2k and doctors told he is not responding to the earlier chemo and need to change the treatment plan and included ADRIMYCIN to his 3rd chemo, where his health started deteriorating day by day and had to dependent on someone for his basic activities, and his normal basic life also was hindered.(Memory loss, Hallucinations, frustrations etc.,)
    Yesterday we met the doctor for his next pre-chemo checkup, Doctor told us his condition would not permit for another chemo, As such his disease is progressing with aggressive Adult T Cell lymphoma as such did not have any cure this disease, taking his health and age into consideration, and further told we can give mild dose of oral chemo and watch for next 10 days, and may be will give him best solace in life possible emotionally and physically for, maximum of 3-4 months of life expectancy
    As the only son, I want to give my Dad best of the treatment, and since his health condition is not great these days, Kindly let me know, if I had given the best of treatment available, And should I just give him all support for his last journey to be smooth. (Is it technically no treatment there for Adult t cell lymphoma, fourth stage?) .
    What count of WBC I fatal ?, it had gone upto 1.2k.
    Kindly advice me ,( He is not diabetic, and had a healthy life style throughout his life, His all other counts, BP are all normal.).
    Note :- I am not a Medical person, please excuse me for my wrong technical usage)
    Prasanth Narayanan

Last edited by pbj11; 11-29-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Hi there.
    Maybe a Mod can move this to the lymphoma forum where it may be seen more.
    I can give you no advice.
    I also have/had a T Cell lymphoma and know the frustration of not having much information out there as we are such a rare breed and not much research has gone on for us due to our relatively low numbers. Our treatment protocols are the same as B cell.

We are all different, respond differently and no fight is the same as anyone elses.

I have just had an iffy scan and can relate to your worry.

My advice is to go along with what your father wishes after getting as much information as possible.
    To concentrate on being together creating memories.
    Your father is so lucky to have a loving, caring supportive son.
    It sounds like you are doing all you can.
    There is also the option of getting a second opinion should he want to.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Hi there.
    Maybe a Mod can move this to the lymphoma forum where it may be seen more.
    I can give you no advice.
    I also have/had a T Cell lymphoma and know the frustration of not having much information out there as we are such a rare breed and not much research has gone on for us due to our relatively low numbers. Our treatment protocols are the same as B cell.

We are all different, respond differently and no fight is the same as anyone elses.

I have just had an iffy scan and can relate to your worry.

My advice is to go along with what your father wishes after getting as much information as possible.
    To concentrate on being together creating memories.
    Your father is so lucky to have a loving, caring supportive son.
    It sounds like you are doing all you can.
    There is also the option of getting a second opinion should he want to.
    i just came across your post here out of many hundreds, havent been on this site in an year and was just wondering how you are.
    me

Hi there. I am just about to post in my thread.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...ymphoma./page2
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Could I ask if any of you have tried Vizada (Azacytidine) ? Supposedly this works against BOTH cancer and viruses (such as HTLV).

+ Reply to Thread