A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Husbands first PSA after Seed Implant

Question Husbands first PSA after Seed Implant

My husband had a psa test in April of this year and it was 7.5. They doctor was concerned and put him on antibiotics to see if it could be an infection. He retested him a few weeks later and the psa was a bit higher. So he recomended he should see a Urologist. The Urologist recommended a biopsy. The biopsy showed Prostate Cancer. He tested 10 cores...I think and found one core with 5% non aggressive cancer. He recommended Radiation Therapy but gave us a lot of information to read and think about concerning which therapy he wanted to do. We took a good amount of time researching information and after a LOT of thinking and praying my husband decided to go with the radioactive seed implant.
    My husband had treatment done on Oct. 1st. of this year. Everything went fine and he seems to be doing well. The Doctor waited about thirty days to have another psa test done and that is why I am writing.
    My husbands psa test came back 2.5. Which the Doctor says is good, and that it will continue to keep coming down. We do not go back for another checkup until April which I guess concerns me that they are waiting that long to check the psa again. Is this typical? Also...is 2.5 a good psa for after treatment. I guess I thought it would come down a lot more than this after treatment or is that only with surgery?
    I would appreciate any input...thank you.

It can take years for the psa to reach its lowest point (nadir). 30 days is way to early to see the effects as radiation works over time. As long as psa doesn't increase there is no problem and you should get good readings at about 1 year.
    JohnT
    psa at diagnosis 40 in nov-08
    gleason 6 and 7
    Treatment choice seeds and IMRT

Top User
    I am undergoing RT and my R-doc won't check PSA until 6 months has passed..Radiation doesn't kill cancer cells. It breaks their chromosomes so they can't reproduce..As the damaged cancer cells get old and die, your PSA will slowly drop..As JohnT said, it can take as long as two years to reach nadir...
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5. 10/14 PSA 0.6, T-11

Regular User
    Art,
    I had my brachy 3 days after your husband. I go back Thursday of this week for a PSA test. Personally, I would rather not go at all. In my mind, I did my part...whatever happens happens, but I understand that is not how the game is played. I don't know what to expect, but I think that I will be pretty happy if my PSA is 2.5. Mine was 6.1 or 6.3 before. I don't remember which. I did read that it comes down gradually after radiation, so I it would appear that your husband is progressing nicely.
    God Bless

Thanks for replying...my husbands psa

Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Art,
    I had my brachy 3 days after your husband. I go back Thursday of this week for a PSA test. Personally, I would rather not go at all. In my mind, I did my part...whatever happens happens, but I understand that is not how the game is played. I don't know what to expect, but I think that I will be pretty happy if my PSA is 2.5. Mine was 6.1 or 6.3 before. I don't remember which. I did read that it comes down gradually after radiation, so I it would appear that your husband is progressing nicely.
    God Bless
    My husbands psa count was 7.5 before he had brachy, so I guess I will relax and give it some time. Thanks for replying and best of luck to you. I believe you and my husband will be fine. Linda

Thank you to all who responded to my post...I can relax now and not be so anxious for good news. Everyone here makes this journey a LOT less scary. I appreciate your taking your time to respond. Linda

+ Reply to Thread