A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breast cancer Treatment by Graston Technique

Newbie New User

Lightbulb Breast cancer Treatment by Graston Technique

[LEFT]An unusual technique often used to treat sports injuries is now helping breast cancer survivors as well. It involves the use of specialized metal tools to dig deep into the muscle in search of scar tissue.

"A lot of times with breast cancer patients, where their surgery's been, they get a lot of scar tissue," says physical therapist Carrie Cameron as she works to loosen the hardened tissue around the chest and shoulder area of a breast cancer survivor.

To help her break up the scar tissue, she uses a set of medieval looking tools we first reported on last year. They're part of a system known as the Graston Technique, and therapists say the metal tools vibrate as they travel over hardened tissue.

Julie Wong runs PROactive Physical Therapy in San Francisco. Her clinic is increasingly using the Graston Technique and other deep tissue massage techniques to treat women who have undergone mastectomies. The issue is often encapsulation -- a side effect caused by the body's reaction to implants placed in the breast area after cancer surgery.

"So if this is a foreign object, you get scar tissue formed around the implant, you get encapsulation. The implant is going to look more bulbous like this. But the implant is not moving, so at this point we need to manually work on breaking up the scar tissue by manually moving the implant," she says.

Other types of breast cancer surgery, such as the removal of lymphs, can also produce scar tissue that limits mobility.

"And by breaking up those fibers you can actually improve mobility, decrease pain and increase range of motion," says Dr. Shelley Hwang, chief of breast surgery at the UCSF Buck Breast Care Center.

Therapies such as the Graston Technique can be painful, and it may also take a number of sessions to produce results. But therapists say the treatments can produce a significant improvement in quality of life for breast cancer survivors.

"As we release scar tissue, it allows them to be able to stand up better with better posture, move their arm better and decrease their pain," Cameron said.

Side effects can include bruising and insurance coverage isn't 100 percent, though the procedure is often covered as part of post-surgical rehabilitation
    {Image deleted. Violation of No Links Policy}
    Last edited by brainman; 01-23-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Newbie New User
    I wanna to take permission to put a youtube video here to show the process clearly ?

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can give the video's name. It will then not be hard for people to find it if they want.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Newbie New User
    ok ,thnx
    the video on youtube named Breast cancer treatment by Graston Technique

Newbie New User
    Ahh..I find and watched it. I liked it. My friend is also a cancer survivor and she refers this LINK REMOVED. If anyone is from Dallas and unfortunately got this disease then she can contact the same. Thanks, Tosh.
    Last edited by pbj11; 06-18-2011 at 08:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread