A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vietnam and Gulf War veterans may be eligible for benefits

Vietnam and Gulf War veterans may be eligible for benefits

A point of information that may prove valuable to veterans of the Vietnam or Gulf wars (U.S., I don't know about our allies):

http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/veterans.htm

The above site will give you info about benefits that you may be eligible for as a result of your service. I applied some months ago as I spent 9 years in the Marines, including 15 months in Asia a long time ago. The Veterans Administration says that if you were ever on the ground in Vietnam (I don't know the regs for Gulf War 1) it is presumptive that you were exposed to Agent Orange. They further state that exposure to Agent Orange is presumptive as a compensable cause for lymphoma,

I think this is of particular importance to any vets who find themselves battling cancer with limited resources. This is a significant source of assistance to them, both medical and financial. Here is the official page link from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefit...cide/aono3.htm

What this means is that if you were in Vietnam for even one day and now have or have had lymphoma, you are probably eligible for compensation. Please check it our and apply if eligible. The following is from the VA's benefits booklet:

Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange and Other Herbicides: A
    veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam between Jan. 9,
    1962, and May 7, 1975, is presumed to have been exposed to Agent
    Orange and other herbicides used in support of military operations.
    Eleven illnesses are presumed by VA to be service-connected
    for such veterans: chloracne or other acneform disease similar to
    chloracne, porphyria cutanea tarda, soft-tissue sarcoma (other than
    osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma or mesothe-
    lioma), Hodgkin's disease, multiple myeloma, respiratory cancers
    (lung, bronchus, larynx, trachea), non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, prostate
    cancer, acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy, diabetes mellitus
    (Type 2) and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Good health to all,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie New User
    they should receive full bennies. my managers brother was diagnosed with non hodgekins lymphoma, idk if he was still enlisted at the time but i was told they paid for everything chemo and surgery from only the best hospitals, stanford. they deemed the cause to be from the gulf because all the chemicals our troops were exposed to.

Newbie New User
    Agreed. Alledgedly there's going to be a class action suit against DoD Vets who were exposed to burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan also.

Newbie New User
    Hi kermica i was just reading ur email and my father as in the vietnam war bak in the late 60's and arrived back in NewZealand in 1972 and he died 17 years ago as he had that agent orange disease as i was only 21 yrs old when he passed. They say it can be passed onto their children mainly the boys, but i have had hodgkins Lymphona twice now as i first got it in 2004 and then again in 2008. Right now i am in remission but i stil have my 3 monthly check ups. We were told about the benefits but hvent looked into it as our father passed away years ago.

Newbie New User
    Sadly,
    I don't think this is the case for our Canadian veterans. My husband has been in the military for 26 years this month, was in The Gulf War, Kosovo and Afghanistan. Survived his LAV hitting an IED, developed "asthma" in 2003 at 35 years old (never had any issues before this), was admitted to hospital Oct 29/13, for just over 6 weeks, until Dec 12/13 when he was diagnosed with Classic Hodgkins Lymphoma Stage 2B. Doctor tells us he has "Obviously had this for years".... I have researched du and see that on most sites, it states that it is a lymphoma causing ingredient... He is otherwise a very healthy, active man. Never smoked a day in his life either... This still just seems surreal!!!

+ Reply to Thread