A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Wife's Father is Dying - She Has Shut Down - Please Help

Newbie New User

My Wife's Father is Dying - She Has Shut Down - Please Help

About 18 months ago my wife's father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, that has now spread to many other organs. For the past 18 months my wife has changed and it has affected us in a major way. She has become cold to me.

While I have tried to be patient it is hard. I know I have slipped and made things worse trying to capture the affection. I am now to a point where it is getting worse and don't know what to do anymore.

Last week he was rushed to the hospital. We don't yet know if it is the chemo that is the problem, or the cancer worsening, but none the less he is getting much worse. A 200 pound man down to 130 at the most, etc.

While the past 18 months have been difficult, the past week has been unbearable with her. She has literally shut down. She won't talk to me about it, and our relationship has moved into one of small talk when necessary. I tried to hold her the other night and she literally wanted nothing to do with it.

I have suggested that she go and talk to a counselor as I thought she might be depressed, and you can imagine how that conversation went.

We've been married for over 20 years. I just don't know what to do to help, other than just walk around like a Zombie not trying to do anything. I fear our relationship is at serious risk anymore as she seems to be just pushing me away.

It has been 18 months and I'm not going anywhere, but I can't take it anymore. She won't talk to me, she won't go see anyone, and she won't realize what she is doing to people around her. Our kids also have been affected by the coldness in a major way. She has gone as far as telling our kids she doesn't want to live past 69. Our 14 year old has cried himself to sleep with statements like this.

I need help, advise, or kind words.
    Last edited by brainman; 02-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I also so sorry! Some people just have a harder time than others. Have you suggested that the two of you go talk to a counselor? I believe that would be more helpful to both of you. I does sound like she is depressed but that depression is not just affecting her; it is affecting the two of you. If she will not, then maybe you should go in order to "vent" and maybe to learn some new coping mechanisms. Good luck.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

I'm truly sorry this is happening and agree with Jim that counseling of some type is in order. I became totally detached from everything about a year after my husband passed away. It's depression, I have no doubt. I too need to get some counseling to not sleepwalk my way through the rest of my life. It's not fair to my adult children. Be tactful or maybe suggest that she comes on here to discuss her situation with others who have been down this road.

You'd have to delete your post if she does or you'll be in deeper water! Let a moderator or administrator know if you need this thread deleted.

We've pretty much seen every type of emotional reaction out there from both patients and loved ones.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The is something else you should look into. She might need an anti-depressant to help her over this hill. But that would require her to go see a doctor for a prescription.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Newbie New User

Response

Thank you all for the reply. I have suggested that she see someone. I have suggested that "we" see someone. I have suggested that she might need a drug to help her. None of these have gone over well and actually tend to start a fight.

She tells me she is "fine!" I fear this is like an alcoholic that won't recognize their own symptoms. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I can't talk about her coldness either or else she feels I am making the conversation all about me. So I walk around having to bite my tongue constantly and watch her just sink into a non emotional state. In 18 months she hasn't cried to me once about it.

As for the boards, I very much appreciate that advice. I don't think I have to worry about it however. I recommended she join some forums and like I said above I was told that she didn't need too because she is fine.

I wish I could do an intervention! I don't know what is going to happen when he finally passes.

My heart goes out to you O man of mystery. If she's detached for this amount of time, the actual loss may shatter her. She's functioning, but I see all of the same things I'm doing in your description of her. I recognize that this is a problem, so that's half the battle. Do you have grown children? It's my kids that have been all over me and they push me no matter how hard I push back. Have to be honest and tell you that the first step for her will be recognizing it's a problem and then, the next step is actually doing something about it. I'm at the 'next' step, with a lot of prodding from my kids. I ask about your kids, because a Mother's heart will listen to her children. Enlist them if possible. We lie and say we're fine, when we're not.

She's doing this as a coping mechanism. It really has nothing to do with you or her love for you. She's protecting herself. It's a safe place for her to be in. I'm sure it's not pleasant for you. Your analogy about it being like an alcoholic is a reality in my home with one of my kids who lives with me. Home doesn't feel good anymore. Walking on eggshells constantly makes one weary and depressed.

If I come up with some brilliant idea, I'll pass it on to you. I thank you for sharing, because it shows ME how my kids must feel about my own detachment.

I wish I could tell you this is normal -- and some of it is -- but to go into a shell during the illness and over a parent, when you have responsibilities to your spouse and children is not good, even if you are trying to protect yourself from hurt. She'll regret it, should the day ever come when you are no longer there. I never abandoned my family emotionally despite going through both parents with cancer. The loss of my husband has been overwhelming, but I recognize my problems. Fortunately my kids are all grown and only one lives with me. It still hurts them nonetheless.

Big hugs of understanding,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Newbie New User

Response

PBJ... You sound like such a nice person, and to go through this with a spouse must be that much harder.

Our kids are 19 and 14 - two boys. They too both recognize there is an issue, especially the 19 year old. We all have learned that we have to walk on eggshells however because her getting help is not something she wants to talk about.

She got our 14 year old really upset recently. With her dad like he is she has this attitude that she doesn't want to live past 69. And has been very vocal about it. The 14 year old cried himself to sleep a few nights over this. She has since pulled back and won't say that again knowing how it affected him, but she has no hesitation telling me how she wants to die before getting too old.

She is very close to the 19 year old, but even he has to be careful what he says. We just can't approach the topic. Again, she doesn't realize she is depressed. I wish there were a magic way for her to learn of her own depression and seek help.

It's not funny, but I've done the same thing to my kids. I figured I wouldn't last long, nor do we have longevity in my family. Here I am -- three years later, so I guess I'll be around for a while. My kids got ticked off at me when I'd talk about dying young. Then the BIG lightbulb went on that they deserved ONE parent alive and functioning for their future.

I really wish I could talk to her. I'd knock some sense into her head. Time flies and you can never go back and reclaim that which is lost.

She is not being honest with herself and, trust me, she knows it, but will never admit it to you and the kids until she's ready. Depression becomes a vicious cycle.

I'm sorry for the rest of you while you keep walking on eggshells. They hurt the feet. I'm at the point where my son recognizes he has a drinking problem, so both of us have made some baby steps in the right direction.

Life can be so complicated sometimes. We find ourselves in positions we never dreamed possible. Cancer is insidious in more ways than one and the fall out sometimes seems never ending.

God bless,
    PBJ

Newbie New User
    PBJ... I just read the entire posting you did a few years ago when your husband went through all of this. You are truly an inspiration. I wish I could have helped you back then. However, maybe today I can. You see part of what my wife is going through. If you indeed are still going through some of this, look at this maybe as a lesson to help you. As I tell my wife (not that she is listening), there are a lot of people in the world that love you and your reactions have deep impact on their lives. It could be good impact, or bad impact. Remember, good impact is always better... better for them and better for you.

Thank you for all your kind advice.

Thank you for your kind words and I will take them to heart. I look at that post and don't know even know the woman who wrote it anymore. The best I can do is continue to pray to God for guidance with a new direction for my life and that he looks with favor on my children.

We'll all end up just fine.

PBJ

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Mr mysterious- Im sorry your family is going through this painfull time your wife must be extremely close to her father for her to be reacting this way-shes probably running on shock mode but its a shame you all are suffereing Ive got an idea-this is running its course and things will only get worse for her emotionally at this point-I think the best thing you can do right now is think about her and her dad and if its bad for you and the kids imagine three fold that feeling of lost helpless hopeless and pull yourself together for her and the kids let her be by herself-I dont think I would feel to affectionate going through all that stress either-some people need that others need to be left alone in thought-as long as she knows she has your shoulder to cry on and hugs and comfort if needed and that you will be there for her-you need to let this seperation axiety run its course-Im sure she really doesnt want to hurt you or the kids-so that being said....if she doesnt want to go to counceling then why dont you and the kids go to a councelor that deals with grieving and support-it will help you and the kids understand a bit more when she lashes out and it wont be so painfull you will all learn better supporting skills and the kids will also be able to deal with it better-she then may go with you guys sometime (dont push it) just say you know we could do this as a family but if you dont want to I understand it would mean alot to us if you join us but me and the kids need to understand our feelings through this too. and just make an appointment and go-I think it will benefit all involved .your family is in my prayers tonight for stregth and support your wife for acceptance of fact and her dad for peace. take care and keep us posted
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Top User
    For better or worse, here's my .02:

First I have to say that I really can appreciate and understand wanting to be at arm's length from everyone and deal with it herself as I am typically that way when dealing with something like this myself. In fact I can be that way just normally. But I must be honest - OK blunt - and apologies up front for any offense, but as difficult as I'm sure this is for her, I think she is being very selfish. Her comment (very vocally) to all of you that she didn't want to live past 69, while on one hand understandable given the situation, was especially so, as well as thoughtless, and actually made me angry. Sounds like she finally looked past her own hurt and realized this when she saw how that impacted your 14 yr old, but not enough.

In my opinion, admittedly based on only the few posts you've made and not knowing either of you, she needs to stop wallowing in self-pity so much (no matter how understandable it is) and think of her family already. She has an obligation, at the very least to her kids, and most certainly to you of course...but the kids IMO must be the #1 concern. Heck that's what I thought being a parent WAS: putting your kids above all else.

Finally I leave you with a possible idea: since you can't talk to her directly, try writing her a letter (or even email if your penmanship is like mine). Then you could say some of the things you're saying here, and she can respond as she wishes in her own way and time as well, without having that "confrontational" aspect of direct talk. I would try to keep it as gentle as possible, but stand firm on your concerns for her, your ("your" meaning both of you) kids, and finally you.

I wish you the best of luck!

Newbie New User
    Thank you for the reply Sheila. All words help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    Mr mysterious- Im sorry your family is going through this painfull time your wife must be extremely close to her father for her to be reacting this way-shes probably running on shock mode but its a shame you all are suffereing Ive got an idea-this is running its course and things will only get worse for her emotionally at this point-I think the best thing you can do right now is think about her and her dad and if its bad for you and the kids imagine three fold that feeling of lost helpless hopeless and pull yourself together for her and the kids let her be by herself-I dont think I would feel to affectionate going through all that stress either-some people need that others need to be left alone in thought-as long as she knows she has your shoulder to cry on and hugs and comfort if needed and that you will be there for her-you need to let this seperation axiety run its course-Im sure she really doesnt want to hurt you or the kids-so that being said....if she doesnt want to go to counceling then why dont you and the kids go to a councelor that deals with grieving and support-it will help you and the kids understand a bit more when she lashes out and it wont be so painfull you will all learn better supporting skills and the kids will also be able to deal with it better-she then may go with you guys sometime (dont push it) just say you know we could do this as a family but if you dont want to I understand it would mean alot to us if you join us but me and the kids need to understand our feelings through this too. and just make an appointment and go-I think it will benefit all involved .your family is in my prayers tonight for stregth and support your wife for acceptance of fact and her dad for peace. take care and keep us posted

Newbie New User
    Bill,

I 100% agree with you, and i'm glad someone here said it!

She has done the right thing and come around to the kids. She realized this and it slapped her in the face. I on the other hand seem to be the disposable relationship that should just take it like a punching bag. I guess the cliche you always hurt most the ones you love is true - at least in this instance.

My biggest struggle is trying to figure out how long I can just lay back and take it? I don't want to be selfish and make this about me knowing what she is going through, but I realize that she can't give up her life because her dad is dying. I am being quiet and not pressuring her for anything. God knows, she doesn't snuggle with me at all, hasn't kissed me other than a peck for months, and forget about sex. I feel I live with a room mate. That said, am I being selfish to expect any different right now? I don't know.

I don't sleep at night hoping that in the morning she'll roll over and hug me. I keep being disappointed. There are times I just get very quiet and can't even make small talk because I am so hurt. Is this wrong of me knowing what she is going through? My biggest fear is that one day i'm going to wake up and scream "I can't take it anymore." She won't let me do anything to help her and is putting our relationship at risk.

I feel so selfish concerning myself about me here, but I know people whose parents have died and they haven't gone into a shell. We've had 20 great years and to struggle like this because of an aging sick parent just doesn't seem right.

Bill, as for putting it in writing - I can't say anything to her about this or she gets offensive... writing or not. I found some on line articles and books and even emailed them to her rather then telling her. It didn't go over well. She feels I am trying to "fix" her and that I can't do that, so hands off. Just leave her deal with it.

I know I am rambling. I haven't talked to anyone about this. All our friends are common friends and I can't share this. I'm afraid to go see someone myself because I'm afraid of what they'll tell me. I love her and my family so much I just don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
    For better or worse, here's my .02:

First I have to say that I really can appreciate and understand wanting to be at arm's length from everyone and deal with it herself as I am typically that way when dealing with something like this myself. In fact I can be that way just normally. But I must be honest - OK blunt - and apologies up front for any offense, but as difficult as I'm sure this is for her, I think she is being very selfish. Her comment (very vocally) to all of you that she didn't want to live past 69, while on one hand understandable given the situation, was especially so, as well as thoughtless, and actually made me angry. Sounds like she finally looked past her own hurt and realized this when she saw how that impacted your 14 yr old, but not enough.

In my opinion, admittedly based on only the few posts you've made and not knowing either of you, she needs to stop wallowing in self-pity so much (no matter how understandable it is) and think of her family already. She has an obligation, at the very least to her kids, and most certainly to you of course...but the kids IMO must be the #1 concern. Heck that's what I thought being a parent WAS: putting your kids above all else.

Finally I leave you with a possible idea: since you can't talk to her directly, try writing her a letter (or even email if your penmanship is like mine). Then you could say some of the things you're saying here, and she can respond as she wishes in her own way and time as well, without having that "confrontational" aspect of direct talk. I would try to keep it as gentle as possible, but stand firm on your concerns for her, your ("your" meaning both of you) kids, and finally you.

I wish you the best of luck!

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMysterious View Post
    Bill,

I 100% agree with you, and i'm glad someone here said it!

She has done the right thing and come around to the kids. She realized this and it slapped her in the face. I on the other hand seem to be the disposable relationship that should just take it like a punching bag. I guess the cliche you always hurt most the ones you love is true - at least in this instance.

My biggest struggle is trying to figure out how long I can just lay back and take it? I don't want to be selfish and make this about me knowing what she is going through, but I realize that she can't give up her life because her dad is dying. I am being quiet and not pressuring her for anything. God knows, she doesn't snuggle with me at all, hasn't kissed me other than a peck for months, and forget about sex. I feel I live with a room mate. That said, am I being selfish to expect any different right now? I don't know.

I don't sleep at night hoping that in the morning she'll roll over and hug me. I keep being disappointed. There are times I just get very quiet and can't even make small talk because I am so hurt. Is this wrong of me knowing what she is going through? My biggest fear is that one day i'm going to wake up and scream "I can't take it anymore." She won't let me do anything to help her and is putting our relationship at risk.

I feel so selfish concerning myself about me here, but I know people whose parents have died and they haven't gone into a shell. We've had 20 great years and to struggle like this because of an aging sick parent just doesn't seem right.

Bill, as for putting it in writing - I can't say anything to her about this or she gets offensive... writing or not. I found some on line articles and books and even emailed them to her rather then telling her. It didn't go over well. She feels I am trying to "fix" her and that I can't do that, so hands off. Just leave her deal with it.

I know I am rambling. I haven't talked to anyone about this. All our friends are common friends and I can't share this. I'm afraid to go see someone myself because I'm afraid of what they'll tell me. I love her and my family so much I just don't know what to do.
    I hear what you're saying. I probably already said too much and I'm no "relationship expert" (then again I would say the same for most psychologists) - and again I don't know either of you, but my guesstimate is that it seems to me on the hand, her lack of intimacy isn't so hard to understand or her detachment due to worrying so much about her dad; some people need to deal with things like this on their own, more or less. On the other, she needs to know that it doesn't excuse doing it to such an extreme and realize once and for all this is impacting ALL of you a great deal.

I don't know. Wish I had the magical answer. If it were me I would approach her one way or other, even knowing she might have a hissy. It's too important and obviously just taking it isn't doing either of you any good. Maybe a nice card (with flowers?) that in so many words says (either in the card itself or what you write in addition) "I just want to say I'm sorry you're hurting so much. I realize this is so hard on you and you want a lot of space, and I'm trying to do that, but pls understand that both I and the kids are hurting a lot too because you've shut us out so much and we miss you desperately." (etc etc)

+ Reply to Thread