A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want info on end stage of GBM IV

Want info on end stage of GBM IV

My brother was diagnosed with a GBM IV tumor on 1/27/11. Unfortunately, it was inoperable and has not responded to treatments. We were told yesterday that he has less than a month to live. I have an idea of what to expect, but want more info. I sure would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been through this. What can I expect as the end gets near?

You can get more info at the following link:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...her-has-GBM-IV

Thank you very much!
    Deborah

Brother - diagnosed with inoperable GBM IV 1/27/11 Passed away 3/30/11 (62 days after diagnosis)
    Mom - colon cancer survivor
    Dad - prostate & colon cancer survivor

Experienced User
    This is a helpful link but remember that each person is different and this is pretty generalized. http://www.brainhospice.com/SymptomTimeline.html

Newbie New User
    Hi Deborah. I'm so sorry to hear about your brothers situation. Two weeks ago tomorrow, my uncle died of a GBM 4. He lived out his last month and a half in a wonderful hospice facility because 2 weeks before Christmas he had a grand mal seizure and could not recover enough to walk. Most of the time he was in Hospice, he was in a lot of pain and very agitated. Amazingly, the pain and agitation subsided around 2 weeks before he died. He was very calm. Two weeks prior, he stopped all food intake but continued to drink a lot. Was still talking, very calm, no agitation. Then about 4 days before he died, he stopped drinking. Every sip of liquid was making him choke, still speaking but very little and it was a very light whisper, he was very weak. The day before he died, he seemed to develop this god awful cough, very wet cough and he was no longer speaking but was aware of everyone and would use hand signals to let my aunt know he was ok. The nurse put a patch behind his ear to help with the wet cough. My aunt got a call the next morning, to gather the family. When we got there, he was unconscious and breathing very short breaths and very fast. He wasn't rattling because of the patch behind his ear, that was so helpful. He took his last breath at 1 pm that afternoon.

Thank you so much for your replies. I am still praying for a mircle, but I need to be prepared if God chooses to heal him in Heaven. God bless you.
    Deborah

Brother - diagnosed with inoperable GBM IV 1/27/11 Passed away 3/30/11 (62 days after diagnosis)

Lindsay, this link is very helpful. According to it, my brother has 1 -2 weeks left.
    Deborah

Just wanted to give you a quick update on my brother. We went to visit him today. He is still at the hospice. He sleeps much of the time. Some days are better than others, of course. He was having a pretty good day today. He woke up throughout the afternoon, and I was able to talk to him some. It was wonderful, though he cannot respond. He is having to take pain meds, Ativan to help him with agitation, a steroid for the brain swelling, and something for seizures. On 2/22 the doctor gave him 2 weeks to a month to live, but he is still with us, thank God. We appreciate the prayers on his behalf!!
    Deborah

Deborah, I am so glad to see your post. I have been thinking of you and your family and praying for your brother. Defying the odds and still being able to see your loved ones is a blessing in it's self. My husband is still be a warrior and moving on to the next step of this journey. He is weak but he is stable enough to start the Avastin today. I am scared and excited at the same time. Wish us luck!!! Hugs to you and your family.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh Deborah, some how I missed this thread until now . I am so sorry to hear that your bother continues to get worse. I am glad that you are able to have quality time with him
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Bless your heart, Love. I can understand that feeling of fear and excitement at the same time. I pray that your husband will remain stable. This is such a hard thing to see our loved ones go through. I keep finding myself, as I'm planning things, wondering if my brother will still be here by then. It's also hard to not know how much he understands, since he can't respond. I can only imagine what he must be going through. Can your husband speak and express himself? If he can, what a blessing. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs back to you!!
    Deborah

Thank you, Jim. Yes, it is a blessing to have time with him. It is a special blessing when he opens his eyes and looks at you. I thank God for those special moments.
    Deborah