A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thymoma

Newbie New User

Thymoma

Hello. I was diagnosed with Thymoma 2 weeks ago. Apparently this is a fairly rare type of cancer and I'm wondering if there is anyone else in the forum that has it, how they are coping and what treatment they are getting. Thanks.

Hi Esskay,

I'm sorry there has been no responses, despite the traffic through this forum. I guess this must be a very rare cancer. I'm sorry.

I wish you the best of luck in your treatments and check back to see if someone else does pop in with a similar diagnosis.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Newbie New User
    Hi Esskay,

I have just been told that I am likely to have thymoma as well. How did you go with your treatment?

Kind regards

Tors

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi All

the standard treatment for a thymoma is surgery as most of them are not malignant. In the rares cases where the Thymoma is malignant chemotherapy is included. If the tumor is very large chemo may also be given to shrink it prior to surgery and it is cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and cisplatin. The survival rates are very good even in stage 4 disease

I hope that is some help. As always the best person to answer any questions is your treating doctor, but remember to write your questions down before you see him/her.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie New User
    I haven't received "treatment" to date, other than a VATS biopsy in February 2011. They are taking a wait and see approach. My mass is 17x29mm in size and hasn't shown much growth over the last year. Unfortunately it is inoperable and they don't recommend chemo or rads due to other health conditions. I am having CT scans every 6 months.

Good luck with your diagnosis, I hope it turned out to be something very benign.

Regards
    Esskay

Newbie New User
    Hi, I was diagnosed with a Malignant Thymoma, with a drop Metastes to my left lung plerual area 6 & half years ago. My Thymoma is inoperable and I am coping well to date. I would like to hear from Esskay to see how your going or anyone else with Thymoma.
    Last edited by Thymoma; 04-18-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Newbie New User
    Hi, fortunately my CT scans show no growth, and I am going in for scans every 6/7 months. I do notice that I'm out of breath with not much exertion, but other than that, there have been no other noticeable changes.

Wishing you the best,

Quote Originally Posted by Thymoma View Post
    Hi, I was diagnosed with a Malignant Thymoma, with a drop Metastes to my left lung plerual area 6 & half years ago. My Thymoma is inoperable and I am coping well to date. I would like to hear from Esskay to see how your going or anyone else with Thymoma.

Newbie New User
    Hello Esskay, I have a Stage IV Thymoma with mets to pleura and bone. Kind of worst case scenario. If you are interested you can access some of my info at

http://mythymoma.blogspot.com/2012/0...-that-are.html

It's a long story too much for tonight but feel free to contact me.

Newbie New User
    Hello sorry its took me this long to find this forum.In 2010 I was diagnosed with Thymoma & told it is extremely rare.Finding out information about Thymoma is really difficult.Mine has broken out of the thmus gland so is inoperable.I have had chemo & radiotherapy.Think you will have had the same treatment.I am not sure how this forum works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esskay View Post
    Hello. I was diagnosed with Thymoma 2 weeks ago. Apparently this is a fairly rare type of cancer and I'm wondering if there is anyone else in the forum that has it, how they are coping and what treatment they are getting. Thanks.

Newbie New User
    Hi Sandra,
    I'm hoping all is going well with you. I was diagnosed with a reasonably largish (7.4cm) thymoma in Jan of this year. I was operated on in early June and have recovered very well from the operation. I am to go back and see the surgeon next week but I'm sure the results will be great.
    I'm just letting everyone know having a thymoma doesn't have to be so grim, though I do realise I have been VERY lucky.

Newbie New User
    Hi Coralie,
    I was diagnosed with thymoma in Dec 2011 and I was operated on March 2012. My type was B2, what type was your thymoma? are you receiving chemo or radiation?

Newbie Regular User
    can you diagnose a thymoma from an ultrasound? what was the size of yours? any symptoms?

+ Reply to Thread