A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for AML end stages

Newbie New User

Advice for AML end stages

Hi everyone. My sister in law (24) was diagnosed with AML last May 2010, she has gone through many rounds of chemo to no avail. She was sent home from the hospital 3 weeks ago with 4-6 weeks left to live. I guess why I am writing is just to find out what we should expect. She has three little ones and I need to know how to prepare our little family. Her oxygen has been at 88% for a week, she has staph infections in her blood and 103 degree fevers that they cannot break. I know the end is coming, just needing to know a little first hand....Thankyou for taking your time to write to this.

Hi Kayla, and I am very sorry for what you and your sister in law are going through right now. In looking around for substantive answers for you I did see reference to the need for re-orientation so I suspect that confusion may be an element of end stage for this disease but I don't know that we can really answer your question here. I think the fundamental advice in the end stage of cancer is to be there for your loved one - to care, to spend time, to reassure her that things will be okay for her children, etc...

Have you contacted hospice? They are the experts in managing end of life issues so should certainly be better qualified than I to answer your specific questions. Of course, they can also offer tangible and meaningful support as your sister in law makes this part of her journey.

My heart goes out to you, Kayla, be as strong as you can and feel free to come here again for support, to vent or for any other reason that you think will help you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister in law...

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

+ Reply to Thread