A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar and Cancer

Krissy,
    Sorry to hear of your mom.
    An Australian friends mother was diagnosed nearly 25 years ago with incurable stomach cancer and was given less than 6 months to live. As she lived in the outback it was a plane journey to Perth for diagnosis, they did all the tests and said no treatment as it has progressed too far.
    Her doctor (Flying doctor Service) who was an old German doc told her to eat as much raw black cane molasses as she could tolerate, which she did.
    6 months later she returned to Perth hospital they were astounded, not a trace of cancer.
    She eventually died many years later of a totally cancer unrelated problem.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.

Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.

Is there a caregivers' support group your dad could attend? It sounds to me like he's not really processing information very well right now, and meeting other caregivers might help him start to accept the situation. It's very tempting to think we can find a clever way to control what's happening. Is the doctor addressing her pain?
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

Top User
    Jack hate to tell you this but nearly everything you stated above is either unproven or outright inaccurate - most notably, "sugar feeds cancer." Nope. Old wives' tale with nothing to back it. That said, the overall point of minimizing sugar should be IMO common sense - too much sugar is bad in a variety of ways.

My overall take on sugar is that Mom was right. It really isn't good for you. I don't see the point in anyone keeping it in his diet, especially when refined carbs are among some of the most clearly unhealthy foods out there. Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of naturally sweet foods with nutrition in them.

Regular User
    Good reading at: http://www.drheise.com/cancersugar.htm

For the non-believers... It took many, many years for the general public to fully understand that smoking kills the body. It will take many, many years for the public to understand that "added sugar" in our foods / drinks is bad as well. There's more than enough natural sugars in foods to help our bodies. Too much sugar (especially man-made refinded sugars) creates increase in free radicals. Free radicals create higher risk of cancer. Therefore, sugar creates cancer. Or, "sugar feeds cancer". It's that simple. Just like sugar promotes tooth decay as well. Therefore, sugar feeds cavities as well.. Added sugar in our diets is very bad. Just like smoking people have a dramatic risk of getting cancer (or dying earlier than average age) due to its negative side effects as well. Stay away from "added sugar" items / drinks. It's that simple...

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post
    Good reading at: http://www.drheise.com/cancersugar.htm
    For the non-believers... It took many, many years for the general public to fully understand that smoking kills the body. It will take many, many years for the public to understand that "added sugar" in our foods / drinks is bad as well. There's more than enough natural sugars in foods to help our bodies. Too much sugar (especially man-made refinded sugars) creates increase in free radicals. Free radicals create higher risk of cancer. Therefore, sugar creates cancer. Or, "sugar feeds cancer". It's that simple.
    Again: no. It's not that simple and that's incorrect. Sugar does not "feed cancer," although your overall point of minimizing sugar intake is a good one. And really I think the public understands the dangers of too much sugar; they just don't care. Darwin in action perhaps.

And no offense but referencing some "alt med" site is not exactly a way to build credibility - in fact the alt med mindset is generally poorly thought of here, and with good reason. It is long on claims and short on verifiable evidence/proof.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi

While I appreciate people trying to help there is not much point in coming here to a forum where people actually have cancer and preaching about the dangers of sugar.

I am now locking this thread
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.