A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Undiagnosed - Early CDT lung test

Newbie New User

Undiagnosed - Early CDT lung test

Hello,

I am not sure if I am at the appropriate forum for someone in my position and don't want to detract from others' coping with their diagnoses and treatment, but I have some symptoms of concern and wanted to ask about a new blood test for early detection of lung cancer.

I have about 8 pack years of smoking since the age of 15, and I am now 30. In 2008 I underwent a CT scan as a physician did a d-dimer test and thought that I may have a blood clot in the lung. It was negative for this but later I was called at home and the radiologist forgot to mention that I had 2 nodules, both under 5mm. I had a f/u 6 months later, normal. During my annual physical exam in Nov 2010, I said that I was having a dull, slightly painful ache in the right side of my chest just to the right of my sternum. My doc said it may be a good idea to get a f/u CT, and I did in Nov 2010. It came back normal, with the nodules unchanged.

I then went back to the Dr. in February. I said that the pain became more constant and I could now feel it in my back as well. I said that it also felt I had something in the right side of my throat and that it was more difficult to swallow; should I be concerned about this? He took a look at my chart without examining me and said, "really? you just had a CT scan in Nov that was normal. Take these ibuprofen 800s if the pain persists". So I felt silly, like a hypochondriac or something. Maybe I was just being too anxious.

I am now at the point where I have daily pain in my right shoulder, an odd sensation in the right side of my throat, sometimes pain with swallowing food. I don't cough every day all the time, but my wife has noticed that I have been coughing more often. I also feel like I'm having this numbness on the bottom right side of my face and my right arm has a dull pain as well. I also think my mood has been different; but I'm not sure if its because I'm becoming more anxious about this.

I found a test called early CDT lung test, which apparently can detect tumor (enzymes?) in your blood if there is a tumor present. There was a peer reviewed study that apparently showed its effectiveness (the journal "chest?) I have made an appointment with a pulmonologist to have this test and an examination done.

My questions are,

Are these symptoms concerning? I can understand why my family doc blew me off, but these are concerning symptoms to me and they started to get worse after I had the CT done. I work in the medical field and know if you don't catch lung cancer early, the treatment options can be decreased.

Also, has anyone heard of the early CDT lung cancer test or used it to have their cancer diagnosed?

Thanks for reading; I apologize for the length.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry you're having problems. Nodules are a real pain. If they were calcified, then you'd be in the clear, but obviously they are not or the doc wouldn't be watching and monitoring. There are many people in this position --- the watch mode.

I honestly didn't know about the EarlyCDT test! So many new things have come out since my husband's cancer. I don't know how reliable the test is, because I've only looked at the manufacturers website: http://www.oncimmune.com/earlycdt-lung/

Below was on the site and it was particularly interesting for your scenario:

Risk assessment and early detection of lung cancer in asymptomatic high-risk patient populations are the primary benefits of EarlyCDT-Lung.It isalso used as a follow-up test for high-risk patients who have indeterminate lung nodules identified by CT.

You asked if your symptoms were concerning. None of us are doctors here, but I wouldn't think that the identified small nodules would be causing your specific symptoms. It's wise for you to follow up with a pulmonologist. You need to have your fears allayed to reduce your stress level. This could be something totally unrelated to the two nodules.

Let us know what the pulmonologist has to say and good luck.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

+ Reply to Thread