A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lymph Node Under Armpit

Newbie Regular User

Lymph Node Under Armpit

Hi forum,

I'm 24 years old and tonight I was in the shower and while cleaning my left armpit I felt a tiny node. Its very small (about 1.5 cm Max...def no bigger but it could be smaller). Anyways, it feels like a regular lymph node. Its a little firm. And I can only feel it there if I have soap and water and gently go over it. My question is it normal to feel this?

When I typed it in the computer the word Lymphoma came up so I got worried.

I can barely feel it in/out of the shower and I don't think my doctor would notice.

If I monitor this and it stays the same and doesn't grow does that mean its not a problem?

I also have woke up at night in damp sheets so when I read a symptom of lymphoma that worried me too...its summer so its hot but are lymphoma sweats damp like mine?

I know I will probably be recommended to the doc by you all but can you please put your input in for my questions?

Cheers

Hi eldrige, and welcome. While it is true that what you describe could be lymphoma, the chances are very small that this is the case. Most folks who show up here worrying about this go see their doctor, get a different diagnosis than cancer and go on with their lives.

Night sweats are what are known as B symptoms and they are specifically described as "drenching" night sweats in the literature. A couple of suggestions for you, if I may. One is to see your doctor if you are concerned. Nodes that are indicative of lymphoma are described as "hard, rubbery and painless" so that is another sign that you are dealing with something else. The Mayo clinic lists 14 reasons for swollen lymph nodes that are not cancer and 3 that could be cancer, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swo...SECTION=causes which kind of shows you the odds, especially since the non cancer causes are far more common.

Finally, you should read Joepet's excellent post for people who come here without a diagnosis - he lays out exactly what you should do next:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

So, relax, see your doctor and get a diagnosis, eldrige. I think you will be fine but feel free to keep us posted after you get a diagnosis.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Senior User
    What kermica said.
    David
    Age 43
    March 1, 2011 - Grade 1 Follicular Lymphoma from node removed from neck.
    2/22 PET/CT scan revealed one additional node in groin - also removed.
    Officially Grade 1 / Stage 3 due to second node.
    No Other Evidence of Disease.
    7/8 PET/CT shows two new small nodes - opposite sides, neck and groin.
    1/06/12 Completed Rituxan x 4 Monotherapy. 2/29/12 NED! Completed 4 additional maintenance doses of Rituxan. 12/12 NED! 6/14 NED!

Quote Originally Posted by eldrige View Post
    Hi forum,
    Hi eldrige.

I'm 24 years old and tonight I was in the shower and while cleaning my left armpit I felt a tiny node. Its very small (about 1.5 cm Max...def no bigger but it could be smaller). Anyways, it feels like a regular lymph node. Its a little firm. And I can only feel it there if I have soap and water and gently go over it. My question is it normal to feel this?
    I had this several years before getting lymphoma. I believe it was caused by my nodes being irritated by my antiperspirant. I stopped using it, and a few days later they were back to normal.

I also have woke up at night in damp sheets so when I read a symptom of lymphoma that worried me too...its summer so its hot but are lymphoma sweats damp like mine?
    The night sweats of lymphoma are drenching night sweats, and they were unlike anything I had experienced before. If you woke up looking like you had just jumped out of a swimming pool, that would be a drenching night sweat.

I know I will probably be recommended to the doc by you all
    Actually, if all you've got is what you've told us, I recommend you do NOT go to a doctor. At this point, you have nothing at all that points to anything troubling.
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi forum,

When I typed it in the computer the word Lymphoma came up so I got worried.

I can barely feel it in/out of the shower and I don't think my doctor would notice.

If I monitor this and it stays the same and doesn't grow does that mean its not a problem?

I know I will probably be recommended to the doc by you all but can you please put your input in for my questions?

Cheers
    Hi

Thats how I found mine. That was around Oct/Nov 2006, in the shower just like you did. I was finally diagnosed late December 2007 and began treatment in 08. So I am not going to say dismiss this. I waited for a few weeks and then went to the doctor and that's exactly what you should do. The few weeks wait isn't going to kill you so don't sweat it. Read the rules in my sig and use them. This whole process can drive anyone nuts so you must remain calm and stay away from the internet researching cancer, I can't stress that enough.

Any questions you think of right now you should write down on paper, and you need to take that to the doctor and refrain from asking us here, as at this point all we can say is see the Doc.

Cheers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie Regular User
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Kermica, I read your link and I'm 99% sure I don't have any of the listed reasons for this node.
    Is there anyway it's a normal node (not enlarged) and the only reason I can feel it is because I'm lean and have an easier time feeling these kinds of things?

And JoePet,
    I'll see if the deodorant change works...but if it doesn't and this thing stays the same and doesn't grow I should be good, right? But if it grows I'll definitely go to the doctor asap.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

eldrige, you are welcome and, actually, yes it is possible that it is a normal node that you can feel if you have a lean build. I have two that I can feel in my left inguinal line. The doc felt them and we even PET scanned ahead of scheddule after he did. No abnormal FDG, no lymphoma detected (in that site), no further action required. That was a couple of years ago and I can still feel them.

I think ChemoMan gave you excellent advice...do your best to follow it.

Good health,

kermica
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09

Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.

Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.

Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.

July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.

August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".

February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.

June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie Regular User
    Hey guys last thing on this I promise.

So when I have been feeling this lump my arms have been up and I can only feel it on my left and not my right.

Today I checked it with my arms down and had to be careful searching and felt the lump under each arm in about the same spot.

Both lumps are movable and no bigger than the tip of my finger and they feel like the ones under my neck.

So as long as I monitor them and they don't grow from what I've explained does that sound alarming?

I waited for a few weeks and then went to the doctor and that's exactly what you should do. The few weeks wait isn't going to kill you so don't sweat it.
    eldrige, see above from ChemoMan. His advice is spot on and there is little or nothing any of us can add to it which will have value for you. We don't give medical advice here, we support people who have cancer and their loved ones. So, go see your doctor and get whatever is going on figured out. If, which seems highly unlikely, it turns out you do have a cancerous condition we willl welcome you with open arms. In the meantime, please don't keep asking us questions that are beyond our ability and our mission.

Good health,

kermica
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63

Remember the Rules!

Newbie Regular User
    Sorry to bug again but there are some answers you guys could probably still give me with general lymphoma knowledge.
    I have a node under each of my armpits. The one under my left armpit is bigger than the right and probably 1.25cm. Its really hard to get to because it moves around and isn't on the surface. My mom or dad can't feel it since it takes a little effort to get to. Its not rock hard but it is a little firm like other lymph nodes.

My questions are...how do lymphoma lymph nodes normally feel (hard/soft)? Are they normally stuck in place or movable? How large does it become to be alarming (1, 2, 3, + cm's)?

I'm not asking you to diagnose me...but give me the generally "normal" answers to questions above.

Would an ultrasound be able to do any help?

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hi

how do lymphoma lymph nodes normally feel (hard/soft)?
    Firm and rubbery but there are no rules here

Are they normally stuck in place or movable?
    usually stuck in place

How large does it become to be alarming (1, 2, 3, + cm's)?
    >3 cms, but this varies depending on the node as they differ in size

Would an ultrasound be able to do any help?
    Some but not much
    Last edited by ChemoMan; 07-01-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hi Eldrige,

What did the doctor say? I can share that under the armpit can also be sweat glands that can get swollen. I was on a drug when I was in my teens called accutane that caused this to happen to me. Whatever it is, it can't hurt go get it checked out. I think it definitely worth the peace of mind.
    Age 40
    Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin s Large B Cell Lymphoma
    Diagnosed on March 30th 2011/Staged on April 6th

R-CHOP treatments
    First treatment: April 12th
    Eighth treatment: September 8th
    Have been in Remission since 9/2011

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that's why its called the present"
    Dr. Wayne Dyer

+ Reply to Thread