A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I was diagnosed with Oli Grade II

Newbie New User

I was diagnosed with Oli Grade II

I am Sanman Kelkar from Mumbai India Turning 36 on June 28. I had first seizure of my life on January 26th 2011. The doctors later advised MRI and I was diagnosed with Oli Grade II with 4 cms of tumour. Later as advised by doctors, I underwent awake craniotomy by a neurosurgeon on February 3rd 2011. I was discharged on 8th February. In the discharge summary it was written that right frontal glioma Histopathology report awaited. In the histopathology report, it was written that
    1) Tumor: Received multiple greyish soft bits aggregate measuring 2 x 1 x 0.8 cm Sections:1A-1B, Fro A, Fro B.
    2) Tissue from suction and CUSA: Received multiple greyish friable bits of 5 x 4 x 1.5 cm. Sections 2A-2C.
    Frozen Section diagnosis: Pathologic tissue seen. Oligodendroglioma-Tissue from Right Frontal SOL.

Microscopy: Sections show a moderately cellular glioma composed of proliferating oligodendroglial cells.

Diagnosis: Right Frontal Tumor Oligodendroglioma Grade II.

I was called for a follow up on 12th April 2011.
    I did a MRI which again showed almost the same amount of tumor.
    The neuro surgeon then directed me to a Radiation Consultant and an Onco Consultant. The radiation consultant advised me radiation treatment of 6 weeks, Monday to Friday i.e. Total of 30 sittings. The radiation method used was IMRT alongwith Temodal tablets 2 hrs before the radiation. I started the radiation on 26th april and ended on 8th June.
    Now again they have called me after 2 months i.e. 19th august with another IMRI.

I have got completely bald with terrible black patches and tremendous loss of appetite due to nausea.

Also the doc now says, the tumor is interleaved and I might have to go for IV Chemotherapy which I am very uncomfortable with. Kindly advise.
    Last edited by brainman; 06-22-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Sanman. First, I moved your post and created a new one for you. This way, people can reply to you without risking hijacking the original thread.

I am very sorry about your Oligodendroglioma. A grade II is relatively low so slow growing. It sounds like you are getting the same treatment that is standard here in the USA. I can fully understand the report. What I am not sure about is what "interleaved" means. Do you know what kind of IV Chemo he plans to offer? I know that Avastin is given by IV but so is Vincristin and other agents. Avastin is a newer addition to the oncologist's arsenal. Vincristin has been around for a very long time.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

+ Reply to Thread