A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magnetic Nanoparticles Fry Tumors in Mice

Top User

Magnetic Nanoparticles Fry Tumors in Mice

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...or.html?ref=hp

Researchers know that, like normal cells, cancer cells start to die when the mercury rises above 43˚C. One promising idea, known as magnetic hyperthermia, involves injecting minuscule "nanoparticles," basically microscopic lumps of iron oxide or other compounds, into tumors to make them magnetic. The patient is put into a magnetic field that reverses direction thousands of times every second. The magnetic nanoparticles are excited by the applied field and begin to get hot, heating and potentially destroying the surrounding cancer tissue. Because healthy tissue is not altered by the magnetic field, it does not heat up and is not damaged.
    DOB Sept. 1947. Prostate cancer Gleason 7 (3+4), PSA 5 in Oct 2010. Cryoablation Jan. 2011. Had some complications.
    Experienced nocturia, irritable bladder summer 2011. "Agent Orange"compensation from VA Oct 2011.
    PSA .05 01/26/2012, .06 6/26/2012, .04 12/24/2012, PSA .04 6/26/13, PSA .05 1/27/14
    I am eating vegan mostly plus a little fish. Take some supplements.
    (Any advice given is the personal opinion of a layman and is not intended to replace the advice of a health professional.)

Regular User
    Hi, Thanks for the info on magnetic hyperthermia treatment. I've just started researching this treatment. Apparently its being tried on humans in Germany but wasn't able to get much info beyond that. Am in the process of trying to have radioembolization procedure. Had preliminary angiogram last week but they weren't able to finish plugging up a vessel leading to gastro so will return in month. Doctor believes I need another month to allow Avastin to wear off. Keeping fingers crossed that he can finish the job on next visit.
    -Stage IV colorectal cancer mets. liver diagnosed 11/30/09
    -Surgery to remove mass in colon 12/4
    -1st chemo: 5FU/Oxaliplatin/Avastin finished 6/15/10

Top User
    I hope you find something that helps you. The orignal post might have been about a S. Korea study.
    This is a little more recent information about the subject from Europe:

Berlin, Germany, May 22, 2012 - MagForce AG (Frankfurt, XETRA: MF6), a leading medical device company in the field of nanomedicine with focus on oncology, and DELRUS Inc., a leading Russian medical device distribution company, announced today the signing of a distribution agreement between the two companies.

Under the terms of the agreement DELRUS will be responsible for marketing MagForce's NanoThermR therapy in the Russian Federation, Belarus Republic, Republic of Kyrgyzstan, Republic of Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Republic of Tajikistan and Republic of Uzbekistan. DELRUS is also responsible for obtaining marketing authorization of NanoThermR therapy for the treatment of brain tumors in these countries. The scope of the agreement will be extended to other tumor indications upon an equivalent approval of the NanoThermR therapy for example in the EU.

Within the framework of cooperation, the participation of Russian medical centers is planned for conducting international clinical studies to expand the scope of technology application for the treatment of other forms of cancer.

About MagForce AG

MagForce AG is a leading medical technology company in the field of nanomedicine in oncology. The Company's proprietary, NanoThermR therapy, enables the targeted treatment of solid tumors through the intratumoral generation of heat via activation of magnetic nanoparticles. NanoThermR , NanoPlanR , and NanoActivator(TM) are components of the therapy and have received EU-wide regulatory approval as medical devices for the treatment of brain tumors. MagForce, NanoTherm, NanoPlan, and NanoActivator are trademarks of MagForce AG in select countries. For more information, please visit www.magforce.com. Or http://www.magforce.de/en/home.html

About NanoThermR Therapy
    The NanoThermR therapy is a new approach for the local treatment of solid tumors. The principle of the method is the direct introduction of magnetic nanoparticles into a tumor and their subsequent heating in an alternating magnetic field. The water soluble nanoparticles are extremely small (approximately 15 nanometers in diameter), and contain an iron oxide core with an aminosilane coating. The particles are activated by a magnetic field that changes its polarity 100,000 times per second and heat is produced. Depending on the duration of treatment and the achieved intratumoral temperatures, the tumor cells are either directly destroyed (thermal ablation) or sensitized for concomitant chemo or radiotherapy (hyperthermia). With this new procedure, it is possible to combat the tumor from the inside out, thereby sparing surrounding healthy tissue. The nanoparticles remain in place at the treatment area, allowing for repeat treatments and the integration of multimodal therapy concepts. NanoThermR therapy has regulatory approval in 27 European countries.
    Last edited by lancepeace; 06-01-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add English link

Regular User
    Thanks again for the additional info. I asked my oncologist about it and she said it would be quite some time (years) before the equipment would appear in the U.S. I hope she's wrong. In the meantime, I'll brush up on my german.
    -Stage IV colorectal cancer mets. liver diagnosed 11/30/09
    -Surgery to remove mass in colon 12/4
    -1st chemo: 5FU/Oxaliplatin/Avastin finished 6/15/10

Top User

Tumor cell self-destruction via magnetic nanoparticles

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0403105812.htm

New article on magnetic nanoparticles of iron. These do not kill via heat, but via movement within cell. Sweden. Preclinical.

+ Reply to Thread