A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood clots and brain tumors

Blood clots and brain tumors

Hi everyone. My husband was recently diagnosed with a grade 4 glioblastoma. He will be starting treatment this week. His ankles and legs are swelling, so the doctor ordered a doppler, and they found he has blood clots. Fortunately they are below the knee, and they are small. Now he is taking a shot every day of blood thinner. They told me they don't want to give him too much of the blood thinner because there is a risk he could bleed into the tumor.

Does anyone have experience with treating blood clots in someone with this type of tumor? My husband hates the shots because they make him feel really bad. Will he have to continue taking them?

Hi JuliaBelle,

I'm very sorry about this diagnosis for your husband. I'm hoping others will be along with some help on the blood clot issue, because we never went through that particular problem, although it was always a worry that it might crop up.

I don't know how long he'll be on the shots. It is very important for them to try and break up the clots. Maybe there are pills that he will eventually be able to take, once the clots resolve. I believe once a person has clots, that always remains a high concern.

I'm sorry he's uncomfortable with the shots and hope the doctor can outline what the future course will be for him.

My best to you both and God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Senior User
    My husband has Primary CNS lymphoma and developed clot in leg and one straddle embolis near the lungs. Due to the timing of them they thought he had a HIT antibody and could not give him heparin. When trying to bridge to cumadin we chose to give him daily shots of Arixtra. They have worked out very well with no testing or diet concerns. It is however very expensive, our share was $3000 per month after insurance but when ordered through mail order company it is costing $40 a month. Very happy with this drug.

Moderator Senior User
    Is there anyway he can do more walking? Exercise, I believe, is one of the best treatments.

My first symptom of my GBM was a very large bleed. It's not fun so I'd recommend minimising bleeding risk. In fact after my tumor resection I tried my hardest in hospital to avoid the mandatory heparin shots by walking as soon as I could after surgery - they wouldn't let me stand up in ICU unfortunately.

My husband is trying to walk around more, and it seems to be helping quite a bit. We're waiting for a second opinion about resecting the tumor, and if the second doctor agrees with the first that resection is not a good option right now, then he will be put on cumadin instead of the shots.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

+ Reply to Thread