A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent diagnosis of SCLC-ED (Liver mets)

Newbie New User

Recent diagnosis of SCLC-ED (Liver mets)

Greetings Everyone,

My mother, age 65, has just recently been diagnosed with SCLC-ED. (Mets in the liver) Sooo, I think I'll be spending more time in here than anyone would really wish to. With her permission,it's my intention to chronicle what is happening to her as we go forward. Anyone and everyone is welcome to comment or make suggestions as the situation warrants.

First, a little about her. She is 65. She has been a smoker for all of her adult life...so we all know HOW she came to be in this situation. She is also diabetic. She takes insulin twice a day. My mother and father live in Largo, Florida. My family lives about 10 minutes away in Clearwater. Her oncology care and treatment is going to be handled by H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute in Tampa. (In that respect I feel she is VERY fortunate to have such a great facility close by.)

What we know so far:
    She has a tumor in her left lung and it has metastasized into her liver. She got the results from her brain scan today and it was completely normal. Her treatment will be 4 - 6 rounds initially with Carboplatin and Etoposide. It'll be 21 day cycles with the drugs administered on days 1-3 of each cycle. Her doctor has opted NOT to treat with radiation at this point. She is to start treatment next Monday (Aug 8, 2011).

That's about it for now. At the moment she feels fine and is showing no symptoms other than some weight loss. My mother has been working as a transcriptionist for an oncology service for many years so she is very aware of the prognosis.

I am very glad to have found this forum. It seems to be very active with lots of positive energy.
    ~ Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out. ~

7/27/11- Mother (age 65) diagnosed with SCLC - ED. (Metastasis in liver)
    Treatment will begin with Carboplatin and Etoposide.
    Treatment center =H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute

A second welcome to you.

Sounds like everything is moving along as it should be. Moffitt is indeed a lucky happenstance. They won't do concurrent radiation with certain types of chemo, so that might come later if it looks like it would be advantageous for her. They'll check her after a certain number of treatments to see how well she's responding. Typically they want to do PCI on her brain when the first line therapy is done.

I wish her all the best as she moves forward to her first chemo session. The first is always a little nerve wracking. The unknown.

She must stay hydrated during chemo as it will ease some of the side effects and avoid her landing in the hospital with an IV to rehydrate. She also needs to take the anti-nausea meds the first night of chemo to try and ward off the nausea. Take them like clockwork for several days after the cycle is over and if they don't work, call the doc to get a different script.

Glad she's feeling okay and God bless her as she begins this unasked for journey.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

+ Reply to Thread