A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: found mass in lungs on my mom

Experienced User

found mass in lungs on my mom

My mom, who is 59, just found out that she has a mass in her lungs. We don't know what it is yet so they want her to set up an appt with a pulmonologist. the first thing that popped into my head was lung cancer. My grandmother had cancer in her right breast and had to have it removed. She passed away in April 2011, not because of cancer. She had a couple strokes. She was 89 years old. Last year my mom had a scare because they had discovered a small tumor in her breast, but later found out it wasn't serious. It was benign. The discovery of a mass in her lung came by accident. She had gone to the doctor to have her urine checked. They had found a small amt of blood in her urine, but it turned out to be nothing serious. Instead they found a mass in her lung. Don't know how big, but I'm worried. We all are. Especially that she has a history of cancer in her family. But what gets me is that she had knee replacement surgery(twice, on the same knee) two years ago. 2009 she had to have it again on her same knee because it was bothering her. Back in 2006, she had an aneurysm and had a stent put in place. Last year we had that scare of her breast cancer. My question is this. She had surgery THREE times, she's over 55 and has high blood pressure(which she takes meds for). Shouldn't they have done all the checkups, including a chest x-ray, before each of her surgeries? Knowing her medical history(aneurysm, high blood pressure, history of cancer, etc) wouldn't they have done a chest x-ray, along with all the other standard procedures, before any of her operations? If so, I would think that they would have found a mass in her lungs at that time. I asked my mom, but she says she doesn't remember having a chest x-ray anytime during the surgeries. But then again, my mom may not remember a lot during those times because so much was done to her. aneurysm, two knee surgeries, breast cancer, etc. My guess is that the doctors would have done a chest x-ray each time before they operated on her. ESPECIALLY after that scare, we had last year, on her breast exam.
    But what do I know, I'm not a doctor, but I'm just going on i've read online.

what do you guys think?

Experienced User
    I just found out the size of the mass in her lungs. The report says that's its a "neoplasm" in the "lower right lung" measuring about 3.6cm X 2.7cm. Her lymph nodes are regular. That's all I go for now. She's going to make an appt with the pulmonologist tomorrow morning. I hope they take her in as early as possible.

Hi Harold,

I'm very sorry to hear of your Mom's multiple medical problems. Two knee replacements on the same knee? Ouch.

The long and the short of it is that most of us have a history of cancer in our families. Some have lung cancer histories and they are just now looking into screening of people who are high risk for lung cancer. Personally, I request a lung x-ray every year or two. Although it was certainly a scare, she didn't have breast cancer, as it was a benign tumor. I don't think they do chest x-rays prior to surgery. That may have been standard in the past, but I've had a few surgeries myself and never received a chest x-ray.

With all her procedures, I looked at the dates. IF this mass should turn out to be lung cancer, it likely wouldn't have shown up two years ago and quite possibly not a year ago. An x-ray will usually only pick up something 1 cm or larger from my understanding. If they had found something under the 2-3 cm size, they would have simply done a watch and wait -- meaning another x-ray at six months to see if it had grown.

This neoplasm is just beyond the point of being a mass as opposed to a nodule. They determine it by size. Accidental detection is a very common way they find lung cancer at an early stage. Sending her to the pulmonologist is the next logical step in making a determination. They'll likely order a CT scan next.

There are many things that can present in a person's lung that are not cancer. Let's pray that this is not for her sake.

I understand you being upset as this is your Mom! I hope I've been able to answer a few of your questions.

Please feel free to continue to post as we'll be here to help you in any way we can. I wish the very best of luck to your Mom with her next appointment. She has been through a lot of medical issues already.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Experienced User
    Thank you for you concern pbj11,

I appreciate your knowledge on the situation. I was just informed by my mother that she made an appointment with her pulmonalogist tomorrow(Aug 4). I'm sure they are going to do tests on her. Hopefully we'll get a better understanding of what she has that day. Just like everyone else, everything seems to go in slow motion. A min seems to take an hour, an hour seems to take a day, etc. I try not to think about it and focus on my work, but it's hard. We had dodged a bullet last year with her benign tumor. I'm praying we will dodge another with this.

1. If, worst case scenario, this turns out to be cancer in her lung, do you think it's in it's early stage? And can it be treated?

2. 3.6cm X 2.7cm sounds big, but is it really big? I remember the lump in her breast was around that size.

How fast can something like this grow? Can this mass(if it is one) develop in a couple of days, weeks or months?

Hi Harold,

I'm glad to hear she got in right away with the pulmonologist. That will go a long way toward keeping the ball moving toward some solid answers.

IF it turns out to be lung cancer, it is dependent on whether they find other tumors in her body. If it is a single tumor in one lung, this would be early staged and hopefully curable. Surgical removal is always the best case scenario. The nasty part about lung cancer is that all the same conditions exist in the rest of her lungs that allowed a tumor to grab hold in the first place. Lung cancer is notorious for reappearing --- even in early stage cases. Obviously the earlier the stage, the better chance for a total cure.

I'd say the size is average, but big enough to be a concern for lung cancer. Most nodules are benign, but the size has crossed that magic threshold to where it must be investigated. I can't remember the exact size of the largest mass in my husband's lungs, but it was 4.5 by 3 something, as best as I recall. His lungs were both loaded. The size often depends on the sub-type of NSCLC. Squamous cell often can present with huge masses in excess of 12 cm. Size isn't as important at this point as the stage --- IF this is lung cancer. We held onto the hope that what was in my husband's lungs was not cancer. Do you live in a Southwestern state? There is a lung disease that happens frequently in people from places like AZ. Other types of things can grow in lungs and not be cancer too.

Too many variables about lung cancer to say how fast or slow it grows. Some cancers -- especially SCLC are rapid spreaders, whereas others are more indolent or slow growing. Again, it depends on the sub-type in NSCLC and also the cell differentiation, which is how closely the cells resemble normal cells. The less differentiated, the more aggressive the cancer and rate of growth.

This is putting the cart before the horse, but I sure do understand your need for knowledge about lung cancer, given the situation your mom is in right now. I researched like a mad woman during the testing phase of my husband's diagnosis. The bottom line for him was "it isn't cancer until they tell me it's cancer."

I hope this information helps and doesn't hurt. Keep your head about you and know that the understanding of this testing process your mom is going through is well understood by all here. It's an extremely emotional and stressful time.

God bless and keep us updated.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Experienced User
    Hi pbj11,

I appreciate everything you are doing. I know you hear that a lot from other people that you've helped and appreciation is no different. Even though I feel a little more at ease, I still am preparing myself for anything that happens. As the old saying goes....."Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst". I have a full belief that everything will turn out ok.

With the history of cancer in my mom's family. We've always had been worried about that with her. I still hold on to hope that this is not lung cancer. I've researched ENDLESSLY, last night and today about lung cancer. I've read about NSCLC/SCLC, the sub-categories of NSCLC, etc. I now know a little more about lung cancer.
    I remember my mom having pneumonia last winter. She had this cough that wouldn't go away. I told her to drink plenty of fluids cause I thought it could be an irritation of dry throat(I had the same thing a couple months earlier). After I noticed that she still had that cough, I told her to go to the family doctor. She did and the doctor prescribed her some medication. I think she said that my mom had pneumonia. I'm not sure what tests they did on her to come to that conclusion. I'd have to ask her that. After seeing the doctor, her cough went away, so I'm not sure if what the doctor gave her help or it just went away on it's own?

I actually live in Dallas, Tx and my mother lives in Northern VA. I moved here for a job. I have two older sister who live in Norther VA. As you can see, it's more anxious for me because I live so far away. So I don't know if the climate has anything to do with it, like you said in your previous post. My parents actually came to visit me during the 4th of July and she seemed good. No problems that I noticed. She wasn't wheezing, wasn't out of breath, in fact She seem to do better than me when went where outside in the 100 degree weather. She was walking/talking/breathing fine. No complaints(that I know of) where coming from her about her bones/back/shoulder pain. She just seem perfectly normal for a 59 year old woman. I guess that's what kinda threw me for a surprise when she told me that the doctor found a mass in her lung. I asked her if she was coughing blood anytime and she told me no.
    I just hope that when she goes to the pulmonologist tomorrow, everything is going to turn out ok. Either way I would like to know. IF it is cancer I hope it's in the early stage so my mom can be cured with chemo or whatever they try on her. Of course I'll be praying for everything to turn out negative in the ct scan.

I'll keep you posted. BTW, how long will it take for the results to come back after seeing the pulmonologist? the same day? A day or two? A week?

Thanks for your prayers, I really appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Hi Harold, I am coming in after a great deal of info before me, that PBJ is the best... I am so sorry your mom has yet another blow, and can hear the weariness in your post. Your family must be exhausted by the info firing at you yet again. And the waiting: to schedule tests, wait for the tests, and then the results of the tests- It is quite overwhelming!
    Praying for the best for family and to Mom, Take care of you too...
    Kathy: still hearing Ben's music, and feeling his love: but from the Heavens now

Experienced User
    i had a question. What are the chances that IF, it's a cancer, that it has metastasized into other parts of her body? Would she have experienced any symptoms before they had found that mass???

Or can it metastasize without experiencing ANY symptoms at all?

Today is her appt with her pulmonologist. I have faith all will turn out ok.

Hi Harold,

It depends. Typically lung cancer is found at late stages because of its nature of being a silent cancer. If it runs out of the chest area, then that's often the tipper that gets investigation going, because it isn't until later stages that some type of pain might be associated with it. On the other hand, during my husband's journey, he had two bone mets that he had no idea were there. It all depends on where it goes. The usual sites that lc metastasizes to are the brain, liver, bones, and adrenal glands.

Has your mom lost weight? Does she have night sweats? These are two features that aren't associated with pain -- but again, these symptoms typically do NOT present in early stages.

I look forward to hearing what the pulmonologist has to say, but likely it won't be too much until they do a CT scan.

Let's keep both feet on the ground and it's good to keep that hope and faith!

God bless,
    PBJ

Experienced User
    I just talked to my mom and got an update. As I suspected early on, the pulmonologist wants her to have a CT scan of her whole chest, and I believe, body(I'm not 100% sure on that). He said that he couldn't really tell because the chest x-ray that was done on her was only half of her chest, he wants to see ALL of it. My mom asked him what he thought it could be and he responded that he's not sure until he gets the CT scan. He said it COULD be cancer or it COULD be something else not related to cancer. He told her to make an appt and come back next friday. When my mom tried to make an appt earlier than friday, the people at the front desk said that the doctor wanted her to come back friday and not anytime earlier. She's going to try and get an appt to have the CT scan tomorrow. My problem with these doctors is that they state the obvious. They seem to prolong the situtation by making multiple appts, instead of trying to solve the situation immediately.My mom said she waited almost an hour and when she went to see the doctor, it took her 10 min and then she was done.This doctor was recommended by a couple of people. It was fast. Before she went to the pulmonologist, she had other tests done on her and everything was normal. All the tests. Her lymph nodes, kidney, heart, etc all came back normal. Nothing unusual that would make the doctor pause and say "whoa, what is this?" When the nurse asked her questions like, "do you have problems breathing, does your chest and/or back hurt, have you seen blood when you coughed, do you have to rest after walking short distances, etc" all my moms answers where no. She hasn't/doesn't experience those symptoms. In fact, when my parents came to visit me in Dallas for the 4th of July, we walked outside(downtown) in 107 degree weather. And if you've ever been to dallas, you know how freakin HUMID it is here. She was fine walking outside in that weather. I was having more trouble walking in that weather than she was and I'm 31. Now that doesn't mean that she doesn't have cancer, I'm not saying that at all, but she has not experienced ANY of the symptoms. I would at least guess that if she had any of those symptoms, it would've been noticed during that time/temperature. Anyways, the doctor told her to come back next friday. So what I got out from it is that it must not be THAT serious. Don't get me wrong, any form of cancer shouldn't be taken lightly and I'm not, but this guy is a pulmonologist with years of experience. If he had seen something serious, something that he didn't feel comfortable with, he would've told my mom to have the ct scan done immediately and come back on monday or even on saturday(some pulmonologists work on the weekends is what I was told). If it was something serious enough to make him concerned he would've ask her to have all the test immediately so he could diagnose it and have a clearer answer. That's what happened when my mom first went to the urologist and the doctor found that mass in her lung. The urologist didn't know what it was, but he was concerned enough to tell her to make an appt IMMEDIATELY. That's why she was able to come in today. Obviously the urologist doesn't know enough to diagnose it, but he was concerned enough to have her see a pulmonologist. I would think that a pulmonologist(who is an expert at these things) would have her come to see him IMMEDIATELY if he saw something unusual or something that didn't make him feel comfortable. But he didn't, he said, "come back next friday and we'll be able to talk about it more". Like I said, it still COULD be cancer and, if worse case scenario, it is, I believe its in its early stages. And it could be cured. Obviously it didn't concern the pulmonologist enough to have her come back ASAP. I know tests take time and having the results takes time, but if you MIGHT have cancer, time is the most important factor. I don't think a doctor would let time slip away. I believe he/she would want to know as much as possible and as fast as possible so too much time doesn't pass by to make it too late. Anyways....
    But honestly, I feel better after hearing what my mom told me today. We are by no means out of the woods yet. It still COULD be cancer, but it could not be. It's 50/50. But after hearing everything and analyzing everything, I'm feel a little bit better. NOT A WHOLE LOT, but enough to make me sleep better at night. I'll keep you updated.

Hi Harold and thanks for the update.

I have to smile a little because this is all very standard protocol for any type of diagnosis. Heck, my husband went through a week of antibiotics when he was coughing up blood, before an x-ray was even taken.

I had the same agitation over how slowly it seemed all these tests went, but the reality was that they were all done in a very expedient manner. It just feels like it's taking forever.

The pulmonologist is flying blind, with just a partial chest x-ray. The only things an x-ray shows are a growth and whether the growth is calcified (which would be a good sign.) Given that it isn't calcified, that's why she is moving through the system of diagnostic docs and tests.

You are definitely an upbeat person who is working hard to keep hope up that this isn't lung cancer. That's good! Lung cancer at an early stage wouldn't produce any of the symptoms your Mom was being asked about. Go look at my profile. I have a picture in b/w of my husband's first PET scan. He passed a treadmill stress test 2 months before any shortness of breath started happening. Look at the amount of the cancer he had before symptoms started showing that told us something was obviously wrong. (He did have a little cough for months before, but it was winter and we dismissed it. Should have gone with my gut on that one and pursued it.....) This is why it is called a silent cancer.

The fact that your mom isn't presenting with any of the standard symptoms is a good sign of it being something else or an early stage.

Hang in there as you've just crossed into the Medical Zone. Hurry up and wait is so typical. The ability to learn to wait becomes an art form.

God bless,
    PBJ

Experienced User
    Hi pbj11,

I think thats why in some cases people die. The standard procedure needs to be fixed. It looks like it's not working. If someone is THOUGHT to have cancer, even if its a 1% chance, I would think that "time" is important. And if "time" is important, why would someone take more "time" to figure something out? I would think a doctor would try to waste LITTLE "time" to try and rule out cancer. What if she wasted a week and come to find out next friday, the doctor would say the cancer has already spread and isn't curable. the week that she wasted could've been done in a more productive way.

It's a little scary to think that this is the way things are done when cancer is involved. You have to go through steps before anything "PRODUCTIVE" can be done. I could've told my mom what the pulmonologist said to her today. I honestly think today was a waste of our time. To have the doctor just look at an x-ray that is incomplete and say to come back a week from now is just time wasting, in my opinion. I don't care if it's protocol, sometimes you need to skip a step that is obvious(like in this case) and move on to the next step much quicker. Your dealing with precious time and you can't waste an minute of it. But he must not think its that urgent so the only thing I can do is trust the life of my mom to a pulmonologist. Kinda scary
    But I have faith. I think that's all you can have. And besides, at the end of the day every person dies. Not to sound so tragic, but it's true. Obviously you would want to spend more time with the people you care about. I think after the scare that we had with her aneurysm, her breast exam last year and this incident I've kinda accepted the fact that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. If you think about it any one of us can die at anytime. I mean, tomorrow morning I could get into an accident going to work and die. I could be jogging outside(which I love to do btw) and a car can hit me and I could die. I guess it's just a matter of WHEN you go, not really HOW you go.
    The reason I have this point of view is because of the numerous times my mother had escaped death(if you wanna call it that) Her aneurysm, her two knee surgeries(the second one was because of a dangerous bacteria that had developed on the knee that was replaced), her breast exam last year and now this year with her lung mass.
    Along with my incident. My wife(who just graduated from medical residency) had found a precancerous mole in-between my toes back in 2006. Back then she worked for a dermatologist for 5 year so she was/is very knowledgeable about the skin.She's a family doctor now. But she took me to get a biopsy done on that mole and it turned out to be pre-cancerous. She found it by accident. We were playing around one night and she was tickling my feet when she noticed the mole. Had she not noticed it, I would have been dead today. Back then I had no idea how dangerous an innocent looking mole was. But here I am, alive and well, still ticking..LOL. For now at least.
    This goes back to my previous statement.......When it's your time to go....it's your time to go.
    Last edited by haroldg12; 08-05-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I think one of the things that changes for all of us forever is the perception of time, and life and death, when this cancer beast comes into our lives. You are right- you never do know, that is why you have to smile wider, hug harder, and say 'I love you' way more often. Sometimes those dishes need to sit as a loved one needs your attention more. And see? even feet tickling is so very important!
    Kathy: still hearing Ben's music, and feeling his love: but from the Heavens now

Haroldg12, I do not feel that all doctors move forward in ASAP mode. My husband had delays both in 2008 and again this year when diagnosed. I tend to agree that this doctor didn’t have much to go on yet. By the time you have symptoms of the cancer it is going to be more advanced. It is fortunate to be caught just because something looks suspicious. Try to be patient. I can accept a certain time period but not all. I have a big gripe with waiting weeks on a surgeon to see my husband this time. It was to say whether she could do a biopsy and it turned it to be too dangerous. He got really held up starting his chemo. They went to start it and then insurance needed another PetScan because it had been 6 weeks since the current one and to start chemo it had to be within 6 weeks. Grrrr.

You should have seen me in the Pulmonary office the day we went for an appointment to talk about the cancer that showed up back in 2008. This was before my husband ever did any cancer treatments. The doctor called Friday and told us that it was cancer. We arrive for the appointment Monday morning, and the girl says ‘you have no appointment today’. This appointment had been pre-set. I insisted and she said doctor was not even in. I am normally quiet and nice. After we bantered back and forth a little, I spoke up quite loudly and ‘you call my husband on Friday and tell him he has cancer, and we waited thru the weekend and, now you are telling me that he has no appointment. No way we are leaving.” It was said something like that. She got me quiet and did some checking and we got in. She said would fit us in but could not take long. When we saw the doctor, it was evident that everything she said to me was a lie. Except I guess the computer missed the appointment. I had their card at home. I did tell him just what happened. My doctor knew nothing of all this.

Some of it we have to just accept. There are times that the situation is not acceptable and need to speak up. I had a cardiac office that was awful to reach anyone. My husband ended up in the hospital when he probably didn't need to if I could have got my call thru. The day I called and he was in the hospital, I told the 'receptionist' that her answers were not acceptable because my husband was in the hospital because I couldn't reach the doctor. She connected me with triage. They were great for a day or two. Long story short, kept talking to doctor and everyone but never improved and had to move on. I am finding a lot of being stopped at front desks.

Just be cautious and be reasonable and calm.
    Husband (year of birth 1941) dx'd 2008 NSCLC - Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    Chemo and Radiation Treatments together. Allergic reaction to Taxol & Taxotere.
    The Story 2008 to 1/2011: http://www.cancerforums.net/about9079.html

2010/2011: Returned & spread to lower lumbar bone/marrow. Stage 4.
    Chemo & Radiation together. Allergic reaction to Erbitux. Chemo was only Navelbine.
    The Story continues 2/2011: Story continues 2/2011: http://tinyurl.com/68qpmym

Experienced User
    This week is going to be hell. No matter how much I try not to think about it, I still do. Keep asking the same questions......"what are the results", "Is it too late, has it progressed?", "How am I going to react?", "Am I going to be strong enough to handle this?". Don't know what to do. Can't even get support from my wife. Instead she gets mad at me for not telling her how she can help. She tells me I don't open to her enough and we ended up arguing over the phone. Imagine that, she's mad AT ME for not opening up to her about my feelings. At this moment in time, she's mad AT ME. And I'm the one that's going through this anxiety. Can't even get support from my wife. I can understand her point, but at this point in time, I don't need this. I don't need to have her tell me this stuff. It's hard enough for me already, she just made it harder. Don't know how I'm going to make it through this week. When I talk to my mom on the phone, I'm always positive and tell her everything's going to be alright because I think she needs to hear it and have my full support, but inside I'm just a nervous wreck.

Harold,

I'm going to be blunt here. You must calm down. My husband's favorite saying was "it is what it is." No amount of worrying on your part will change whatever the outcome of these tests will be. That's the long and the short of it.

Is this waiting stressful? You bet it is. It's hell. I remember my husband, after my Mom got a late stage cancer diagnosis, and how he just let me do what I needed to do. Most of that was sitting around in shock -- although truthfully I couldn't do too much as I was about 8 months pregnant with my twins. I also was 24 years old. I just needed the time to allow the diagnosis to sink in and bless my dear husband for understanding. Our spouses don't always get where we are coming from, as our emotions are all over the map and you do seem to be quite an emotional person. No matter what happens with our parents, I learned that my first responsibilities were always to my husband and children. Please try to pull it together a bit for your wife's sake. I know this is a horrid situation, but take some good deep breaths and think positively for EVERYONE'S sake.

Okay? We're still here, but we are straight shooters, so don't take offense. We've all been down these roads and some of us multiple times with different family members, in my case. Have you tried prayer or meditation to help calm your mind a bit? Make sure you are getting enough exercise too as that will help ease the emotional strain.

God bless,
    PBJ

Experienced User
    Update. My mom talked to the pulmonologist. He said that he believes, worst case scenerio, it's stage 3A. From the scan that he saw, it is only in the left lung. It's inside the Lung only, which he says is good news. There are some small lymph nodes around the area, but he didn't seem to worried about that. So in essence the cancer is inside her left lung only. He told my mother that if it were to be outside the lung, then the cancer would've spread much farther and faster(kidneys, lymph nodes, brain, etc) but since it's inside only it hasn't spread anywhere else. He recommended the usual treatments. Radiation starting off small and if necessary, surgery to get rid of the mass. The results of the biopsy will give him a more accurate diagnosis, but from what he saw from the scans, worst case, it's stage 3A. Don't know what to say. I'm done reading about this stuff on the internet. I don't wanna read about the survival rate, the symptoms, surgeries, chemo, etc. The more I read, the worse it seems to get. Don't know what to say. Hasn't really hit me yet. Still feel numb about it. Don't know what to do. Just gotta play it by ear and hope for the best. Deciding know if I should quit my job and move back to VA to be with her, even though my sisters already live there. Anyways, that's the recent news.I'm sure there's more in that report, but when she was reading it to me, since I'm no doctor, I couldn't understand some of it. I'm just going by what the doctor told her in plain english. He said, it's 50/50. Good news and bad news(what I described above). Over and out........

Hi Harold, For now it would be a good idea to try to just relax. Don't make any big decisions until you know more. My husband was Stage 3B back in 2008 and he came out okay in the end. Unfortunately it came back this year. He is still fighting. Yours is isolated so far. The sooner you start treatment the better, after they have the exact diagnosis.

Try to relax. I know it is easier said than done. I work at it. I go both ways worrying. Look forward to finding out more.

Chemo & Radiation together. Allergic reaction to Erbitux. Chemo was only Navelbine.

Experienced User
    hi maryaz,

thanks for the concern. Like you said, "relaxing" is easier said than done. The first two-three days after the news I really couldn't sleep. I felt tired but when I closed my eyes, I wasn't able to sleep. I always keep hope up and know my mother is a fighter, but there's always that chance it could beat her. I honestly was expecting the doctor to say it was either a stage 1 or , at the worst, stage 2. I was kinda thrown back when my mom told me he found a stage 3A. I wasn't really prepared for that. I believe, had I been prepared(really no one ever is) for something like that, I wouldn't have reacted the way I did the first two-three days(no sleep, little depressed, etc). We'll see what the biopsy says. I'm hoping it confirms something less than stage 3A, like a stage 2 or even stage 1. But I'm not counting on it. For now I tell myself it's a stage 3A and not getting any better. So I join the vast majority of you through this journey of cancer. Where this road leads me, my family, only God knows. I just hope it leads to a recovery and/or treatment. How prepared will I, my family be? Don't have the answer to that. We'll just play it by ear.

Harold, this is such a tough journey. Always keep up the hope and know that there is a fighting chance here. We just never know which way it will go. You can always re-read pbj’s last post and think about it. Even though we are worried and waiting and waiting, there is still nothing we can do. Therefore, when you talk with your Mother, do not make it all about the disease. Talk about other things and make a few more memories along the way. If you need to vent or talk, just post and we will try to help.

+ Reply to Thread