A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My mom has stage 4 cervical cancer told we only have 6 months

Newbie New User

My mom has stage 4 cervical cancer told we only have 6 months

I am new to this site but I need some support. May 16, 2011 Mom was diagnosed with stage 2 cervical cancer. That same day she ended up in the hospital with 105 fever. They found that she had a severe uterine infection and after doing a d and c told us it is actually stage 4. After the pet scan we were told it was in the lymph nodes and adrenal glands. She was started on Taxol/ Carbo. After the 1st cycle she got a fever and was admitted with her infection flaring. She had a ct and it was found that the adrenal masses grew slightly. Then she had round 2 and ended up back in the hospital. Again they did a ct. Her dr. came to see us 2 days ago and told us the adrenal masses doubled in size and her cervical tumor got larger. The. She told us mom has less than 6 months to live. We were blindsided. We thought there would be more options. They are going to give her one round of Topotecan/ cysplatin and if there is no improvement then they will stop all treatment. I am 32 and my moms full time caregiver. I am a teacher and took a year leave. I need advice. Mom is my best friend and I need to know how to support her witj this. It breaks my heart to see her sitting there silently crying. I love her so much. I hate cancer!

Hi Robbi,

Welcome to the place that no one wants to be. I'm so sorry for the rapid deterioration of staging for your Mom. I'm glad the doctors checked her progress on the first line chemo so often to see that she wasn't responding. I hope that the second line will help with her survival time.

I hardly know what to tell you, as the shock of being told someone you love is incurable is beyond words. To know she is crying only makes the feeling of helplessness worse. Out of nowhere, your lives are forever changed. How does one process all of this being dropped on your shoulders? Somehow you do. You begin to gain acceptance of the inevitable, but never give up hope. You surround them with love and take care of them. There's no magic formula, it's just strength and courage we have to attain, because our loved ones usually show those characteristics and they deserve the best from us.

My heart goes out to you. I was 24 and pregnant with twins when my Mom was handed a Stage IV ovarian cancer diagnosis, so I really do understand. It's a nightmare.

We're here to help support you in any way we can. Feel free to keep posting, as sometimes it's a simple forum, where you can say anything, that keeps us sane during a loved one's journey.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

I can only echo what Pbj has so wonderfully posted.
    There are many of us here who have had the fear and the fright and the feeling of such helplessness as you are feeling.
    We are here for you whenever you need us. You are not alone.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Hi Robbie,

I am new to this thread as well and my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer about a month ago. her oncologist told us that she has 3 to 4 months with no chemo and maybe 9 months with it. she has had some complications from the cancer, which have prevented her from receiving any chemo yet but we hope she will be able to soon. my mom is not a very outwardly emotional person but i know she is taking it hard and so are her children (there are 3 of us, all girls). like others mentioned, we have just tried to stay strong for her and be supportive. we try to keep her smiling on her better days and cater to her as much as we can on her bad days. it's a tough road though... it's by the grace of God that we are able to remain positive each day.

Hi Angie and welcome to the forum. I am so very sorry to read of your Mother's diagnosis.
    Would getting a second opinion be helpful?
    Your mother is so lucky to have you and your sisters.
    Please make sure you look after each other too as this is a very hard road to travel. Make some great memories together and I hope the chemo can extend her time with you.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Hi Robbie, you're not alone... My mom passed away 10 months ago in breastcancer and I know exactly the ride you are going through. My mom was (and still is) my best friend and last year was the hardest year of my life. As harch as it sounds This situation can actually have some type of meaning by for example bringing out the most true genuin love and support and ability to stop and enjoy every moment. If you need to talk just let me know. My best, Jenny

In my opinion cervical cancer is a monster. I was dx in 1979 and they didn't even know what it was at the time. In 1999 it reared it's ugly head. I was fortunate. Many are not. I'm so here for you.

Newbie New User
    Dear Robbi,
    I am so sorry to hear of your mother. Spend as much time as you can with her and pray for God to heal her. She could end up beating this. Think positive and never assume the worst because this last round might work. I pray for you and your family. God bless.

+ Reply to Thread