A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Feeling sick 2 weeks after chemo?

Feeling sick 2 weeks after chemo?

Hey guys, my mom was very upbeat and happy for the first month or 2 of chemo but today she couldn't get up and was vomiting and blowing her nose alot. The treatment is for stage 4 agressive nhl by the way, and the doctor said it was in remission (im guessing partial remission). What do you guys think? I've never seen my mom this sick before?

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    maverick- sorry to here your moms getting alot of side effect- tratments for all the cancers are tough. make sure you let the doctor know how severe and what symptoms. make sure she stays hydrated-
    Its common to feel really crappy off and on when taking any chemo and even after its done it takes awhile for it to work out of the body.-If she continues to vomit, have diahrea , or is so weak for more than two days in a row with no let up -she needs to see her doctor -
    it only takes 4 days to get dehydrated with those two occurring and then the organs will slowly start to shut down and then you have way more serious problems.

I just want you to be aware and take action should you need to.
    her weaknes could also mean she isnt producing enough red blood cells to keep up with the bodys needs and a transfusion may be needed -moms had that 3 times so far and with amazng results!
    I hope shes feeling a bit better soon-if not call the doctor.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Hello and welcome to the forum though I am sorry you needed to find us.
    People have differing reactions to chemo.
    Some tend to get through it well, others find as it goes along it gets worse and yet others are very ill from the first.
    I would be talking to her oncologist who should be able to help with better meds or suggest ways of managing it.

I hope she feels better soon.
    Aussie, age 58
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickcrash View Post
    Hey guys, my mom was very upbeat and happy for the first month or 2 of chemo but today she couldn't get up and was vomiting and blowing her nose alot. The treatment is for stage 4 agressive nhl by the way, and the doctor said it was in remission (im guessing partial remission). What do you guys think? I've never seen my mom this sick before?
    Hi

Your mum needs to go back to the docs pronto and get some different anti-nausea meds. These days it is unacceptable for your Mum to be vomiting as there are so many meds that can help.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Senior User
    What Chemoman says

I had to try 3 different drugs to find one that worked at the beginning
    Chicago 54 years old
    LPL/Waldenstroms indolent nhl, dix Friday the 13th 5/13/11
    R-CVP, 5/23/11 6 cycles, 12/20/11 PR, w&w for now

She should not be throwing up, but the second week can be difficult with just feeling fatigued and yucky. That's pretty normal. Still, you can call the oncologist with any new symptoms-that's why we pay them!
    43 years old
    Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma, NOS 4B 4/21/2011
    CHOP-21 to begin 4/26/2011 6-8 cycles
    ICE X 2, auto SCT 12/6/11
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeannelawson1

"Y un dia despues de la tormenta, cuando menos piensas sale el sol"-Shakira
    "One day after the storm, when you least expect it the sun will come out."

now the doctor says that 99% of the cancer is gone and there is still 1% lingering because her calcium levels are becoming high. He said that he sees no cancer on the MRI but they know it is still there because of the calcium levels. They are sending her to city of hope for a specialized chemotherapy and supposedly my dad says there is no "stage" anymore which is hard to beleive. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Maverickcrash; 09-16-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Maverick-she will always be the initial "stage diagnosis" as long as the cancer is surviving and had spread- its just that they may be talking about the size of what they know is still lurking cannot be staged in itself. sounds positive though, like she had responded to treatment well
    and they are following through another plus
    but this cancer ride is like that dont dissalusion yourelf that iits 100% gone untill you are told there is NO trace.
    and YES it is possible for that to happen some people actually do beat it.
    I hope she is fortunate to be one of those people
    keep us posted with her followup. enjoy the good news
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickcrash View Post
    now the doctor says that 99% of the cancer is gone and there is still 1% lingering because her calcium levels are becoming high. He said that he sees no cancer on the MRI but they know it is still there because of the calcium levels. They are sending her to city of hope for a specialized chemotherapy and supposedly my dad says there is no "stage" anymore which is hard to beleive. What do you guys think?
    Stage 4 is tough and usually includes stem cell transplant (SCT) and high dose chemo which is very successful and I think this is what you mean by the extra chemo to be given in the city. Your mum has a good chance of beating this but this is the toughest fight of her life. Don't worry about the 'stage' comment from Dad at all, Dad is just being positive as you should be Make the most of this time and be there for Mum, make her laugh and feel confident in her fight

We are always here to help so whenever you need it drop in

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Now the doctors are saying the cancer is spreading again and it has affected her nerves. They are trying a new chemo that they have not used before and she will have a stem cell transplant at city of hope in december (trying to find a donor). I'm worried again guys what do you think

maverick- I hope this helps her- the neuropathy could be from the cancer itself but can also be side effect of her previous treatment still surfacing. you will still worry, but you need to remind yourself the doctors have not given up and obviously your mom hasnt or she would refuse treatment -so that being said the best thing you can do is look forward to this new opurtunity with hope and be glad there is yet still one more thing to try,- I pray a doner is available soon. keep us posted.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

Sheila is correct, Maverick. Many times in NHL treatment, the chemo regimen induces a condition known as peripheral neuropathy. Rarely in NHL, the condition is caused by an antibody (GM1) produced by the cancer itself. Unfortunatley for me, this is true in my case and my neurologist said it occurs in about 1% of NHL cases. Chemo induced neuropathy, on the other hand, can occur in up to one third of cases. So, the good news is that your Mom's nerve issues are probably being caused by the chemo. That is good because she has every reason to expect that the symptoms will slowly go away after she completes her treatment.

So, try to stay positive for her. As ChemoMan said, she is in the fight of her life but it is very likely that she will survive and come out on the other side in remission again, with pretty good odds for a cure. Good luck.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

So how effective are these stem cell transplants? i know city of hope has done over 10,000 of them so are they dangerous anymore? The doctor called and said he wants this transplant to be done as soon as possible

City of Hope has been around a long, long time. Not sure if she is having an auto or an allo, but the safety of both has improved greatly over the years. Good luck!
    43 years old
    Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma, NOS 4B 4/21/2011
    CHOP-21 to begin 4/26/2011 6-8 cycles
    ICE X 2, auto SCT 12/6/11
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeannelawson1

"Y un dia despues de la tormenta, cuando menos piensas sale el sol"-Shakira
    "One day after the storm, when you least expect it the sun will come out."

Quote Originally Posted by shakifan View Post
    City of Hope has been around a long, long time. Not sure if she is having an auto or an allo, but the safety of both has improved greatly over the years. Good luck!
    She is getting the transplant from her brother in a month. Still a bit worried though because last week the doctors said the cancer was spreading like a wild fire, but now she is at city of hope and has had a much more aggressive chemo. What are the chances of this transplant beating it? i know she has some type of very aggressive T-cell stage 4 lymphoma

I am so sorry that the previous chemo did not work properly but am so glad she is getting another type and is in a place where they can monitor her well and tweak the chemo and meds to make sure she is comfortable.
    In my opinion (T Cell lymphoma here too) the doctors would not be talking about a SCT if they felt there was no point to it so yes, IMO you have great hope of beating it.

Hugs from Australia.
    Aussie, age 58
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

The doctor said the cancer hasn't spread to the brain (which scares me a little just thinking about that) but my mom says she is feeling great after the new chemo which seems to be working. We are going to have to fly my moms brother here from Colombia to do more tests for the stem cell transplant even though he is a correct match, because the doctor says that he needs to be tested even more, which i don't know why they can't check in Colombia. Anyway, if he isnt a complete match then we have to find an unrelated donor. How long can this take if her brother is not a match?

I really dont know- I would guess a couple weeks once the donar was available and tested for compatability. well the unrelated donor may take awhile unless she has been on a waiting list- Id try to get her on if there is even any chance that her brothers doesnt match.Ill be praying its compatable.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    I really dont know- I would guess a couple weeks once the donar was available and tested for compatability. well the unrelated donor may take awhile unless she has been on a waiting list- Id try to get her on if there is even any chance that her brothers doesnt match.Ill be praying its compatable.
    The doctor said the lymphoma had previously hit a bit of the nerve roots, is this anything to worry about? I know that bone marrow involvement is already stage 4, the doctor says that her scans are currently clean but her lymphoma has a high relapse rate
    Last edited by Maverickcrash; 09-22-2011 at 05:02 AM.

maverikcrash- If it was only minor nerve damage it
    may take awhile but the nerves can reroute. with depending on how much damage-mild to severe neurioathy.
    If its too nuch damage and if its located near the spine or major organ they may call in a neurosurgeon to check things out.
    all in all sounds like shes doing fairly well so far considering her initial start.
    Last edited by sheila; 09-26-2011 at 02:06 AM.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

+ Reply to Thread