A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waiting for results

Newbie New User

Waiting for results

Hello

I'm 53 and after some post menopausal bleeding had an internal scan 2 days ago which showed a growth in my uterus with a thickened (8cm) lining. It also showed a cyst with 'solid parts' on my right ovary. The consultant did a endometrial biopsy while I was there and has told me she will call me in 7-10 days with the result. I also had blood taken for a CA125? test.
    She told me that it could be polyps in the uterus with a separate cyst on the ovary but said that it could be a linked malignancy. She did tell me to prepare because there was a possibility that when she calls me with the results I will be asked to go in within days to have a full hysterectomy.
    The consultant asked me after the biopsy if I had any questions, but to be honest I was feeling shaky and shocked and just wanted to get out to have a good cry so didn't ask anything!
    I'm now so worried its all I can think about and don't know how to get through the next week. Does anyone know if these results ever come back sooner than 7-10 days?.
    Julie x

Hi Julie. Welcome to the forums though I am sorry you are having these symptoms and tests.
    If you were told 7-10 days then I am afraid that that is what it will be.
    My own experiences and reading posts on boards has shown me that everywhere has their own speed of tests and results. A lot has to do with how busy they are as well as some tests needing time to get results.

We all know, or have a loved one that has gone through this, how hard it is waiting for results.
    Everything just swirls around in our heads...worst case scenarios etc.

As hard as it is it is best to keep distracted during this time with things that you enjoy.

I hope very much that your results are good ones.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your reply and kind words Didee. I know its just a case of waiting now but I feel like I can't 'prepare' for an operation or outcome that I don't know is certainly going to happen. Do you (or any readers) recognise any of the scan results and are able to tell me outcomes from these results? I suppose what I really want is for someone to tell me that they had the same thing and everything was ok.
    Also I had some pain and spotting after the biopsy on Wednesday but this morning I woke up with quite strong period like pains and the bleeding is getting heavy. Is this anything to worry about?

Julie x

My cancer is a different one than the one you are being tested for and I hope you don't have so I have no idea what is normal or not but I do know that if I was worried as you seem to be I would be seeing a Dr or calling the consultant you saw.

Great help, aren't I.

One thing I would be doing is researching about a hysterectomy just in case. That way you will have knowledge if that does have to happen. If it doesn't then you have learned some new stuff.
    I usually advise people to not research and stay off the net till a diagnosis is known but in your case where you have been told that you may have to have one with only a few days notice I think it would be a wise thing to do.

Hystersisters is a great site.

I had a hysterectomy in 2007.
    Best thing I ever did. (Apart from going into remission for my cancer)
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Moderator Top User
    Dear Bethsnan,

My biopsy results came exactly 7 days after my biopsy. The waiting is very hard. While you are waiting, you might want to think about what you will do if the news is bad. I am in general a big believer in second opinions. Your doctor sounds good, so maybe this is not necessary. In my case, it was very helpful to speak to two very knowedgeable surgeons about my diagnosis and treatment plan. They did have slightly different approaches.

I had a daVinci hysterectomy which was fantastic. Much less pain, easer recovery and less chance of infection than traditional surgery. I am not sure if you would be a candidate for this. They definitely do it for endometrial cancer, but the ovarian cyst may make them want to do the traditional surgery with more extensive staging.

I like the way your doctor is telling you as much as she can about what to expect. It is a difficult time for sure. But keep in mind that these growths may well be entirely benign, and even if not, a lot of cancer is curable. I had post menopausal bleeding, a thickened endometrium, a biopsy which diagnosed cancer grade 1 (later bumped up to grade 2) and then a daVinci hysterectomy. They took the ovaries too. My cancer turned out to be stage 1b and I have been told that there is a 5 to 10% chance of recurrence. No chemo or radiation. But each case is different. I am hoping and praying for you that those growths/cysts turn out to be entirely benign.

Newbie New User
    thank you Sophie and I really hope you stay well. Well my amazing consultant rang me yesterday afternoon with mixed results. The biopsy was negative which is fantastic news, gyn says growths are polyps. The CA125 test was raised though "higher than we would want to see". As it is a solid cyst she is discussing results with the surgeon and said she would recommend "watchful waiting" with repeat US and CA125 in 8-10 weeks. At the time I said that sounded like a good idea but after researching complex cysts and raised CA levels in postmenopausal women I am worried that I could wait 10 weeks and still need further investigation or surgery and wonder if it would be better to have it removed now. I am remarrying in Spring and want to have this all sorted out before then but also wouldn't want unnecessary surgery. Jx

Moderator Top User
    Great news re the endometrial biopsy!

The uncertainty re the ovarian cyst sounds like a difficult problem with no easy answers. I have a friend who had ovarian cancer 10 years ago. When she complained about symptoms, her doctors said it was nothing. She insisted that they do an ultrasound and the ultrasound revealed a cyst. They recommened watchful waiting, but she pushed them to move quicker than they otherwise would have. She had the ovary removed laprascopically. The doctor told her it looked benign and she had nothing to worry about. She called for test results from work a week later and was told that she had a particularly aggressive form of ovarian cancer (clear cell)! At one point, she had been told that there was a 1 in 100 chance that it would be cancer. Well that 1 in 100 was HER. Her life was forever changed as she became a cancer patient and later a cancer survivor! She went through hell--major cancer surgery, horrible chemo, etc. BUT today she is alive and well and living a wonderful life. No signs of any cancer! So I think her life was saved by her choice to push forward with surgery.

I am not an expert, but I think the story is that most ovarian cysts are benign. It doesn't make sense to operate every time some benign cyst pops up ...... or does it??? Not an easy question. I have no idea how to evaluate the risks of waiting 10 weeks, but it sounds like you are researching the question and asking all the right questions. I hope all goes well for you. These issues are so difficult.

+ Reply to Thread