A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rectal Pain After Prostatectomy

Experienced User

Rectal Pain After Prostatectomy

I had a robotic assisted prostatectomy on Sept. 22 and the catheter removed on September 30. Since then I've been having some issues with intermittent rectal pain, usually following a bowel movement. I'm using a laxative (milk of magnesia) to keep my stool soft to avoid straining. Is this a common side effect to this surgery or I'm thinking it could be a hemorrhoid. I was thinking of getting a sitz bath to sit on the toilet seat and sit in warm saline (epsom salts) for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. Anybody else have this problem post surgery...any suggestions? Is the epsom salts or seasalt ok to add to the water? Thanks.....Fred
    67 Years old. Diagnosed with prostate cancer on 4/11/2011. 12 samples were taken at biopsy and 3 were positive (one 60%, one 40% and one 21%) and one borderline (PIN). Gleason score of 6. DRE normal. PSA 4.58.
    Robotic Prostatectomy 9/22/2011. All negative margins. No lymph node or kidney involvement. Cancer appears to have been contained in prostate capsule. Still Gleason 6 post-surgery. PSA 12/19/2011 < 0.1.

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Hi,
    I had a DaVinci prostatectomy at Mayo Clinic on Nov. 1, 2011 (24 days ago). I also have had some soreness in the rectal area, especially if sitting on a hard surface. Remember, however, that the bowel runs right along the prostate and is probably moved around a bit during the surgery. So it is bound to be sore & tender for a while after surgery. Thus, I would not be overly concerned. As time is moving along, my soreness is still there, but less than half of the way it originally was.
    In time, I'm sure that your soreness will also begin to subside as your body recovers from the trauma of surgery.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred44 View Post
    I had a robotic assisted prostatectomy on Sept. 22 and the catheter removed on September 30. Since then I've been having some issues with intermittent rectal pain, usually following a bowel movement. I'm using a laxative (milk of magnesia) to keep my stool soft to avoid straining. Is this a common side effect to this surgery or I'm thinking it could be a hemorrhoid. I was thinking of getting a sitz bath to sit on the toilet seat and sit in warm saline (epsom salts) for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. Anybody else have this problem post surgery...any suggestions? Is the epsom salts or seasalt ok to add to the water? Thanks.....Fred

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred44 View Post
    HighlanderCFH was right, your prostate sat right next to your rectum, so, during removal of the prostate, it was possible that some rectum tissues or nerves that control the rectum were moved or damaged. This is especially if the cancers were very closed to the rectum wall and the doctor wanted to make sure all cancer cells were removed. In most cases, they heal and the issues will go away over time. Most likely there are no issues but when in doubt, consult your doctor to make sure there are no other issues like hemorrhoid or other rectum problems (if any) acting up.

I had some minor pain/discomfort during bowl movement the first few days but they went away. Stool softener (Colace) and prune juice helped to reduce the discomfort for me.

+ Reply to Thread