A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My wife, 44, the mother of my 11 year-old son, is dying

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe7 View Post
    perhaps you can take heart in knowing you will see her again one day, even if it's not in this loony world.
    How I wish that were true. But wouldn't that mean I'd also have to see my grandmother-in-law again? I'd have to think about that....

Regular User
    Oy, lonely. I wish I had someone just to go to a movie with. I was never really close to anybody but my wife. Anybody who knows the Iliad will remember what Andromache says at her final parting from Hector, when she pleads with him not to return to the battle: "you are mother and father and sister and brother to me." That's how I felt with my wife. We were just so happy in each other's company we rarely wanted others to be around. Not always, but most of the time. Now I rattle around in my own head.

Anyway, thanks for listening, everybody. You're too kind. --Jim

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    Jim- sorry your so lonely- maybe it would do you some good to arrange a get together-either with family, a friend or neighbors.
    maybe go out just yourself and shoot a few rounds of pool etc and you may find someone to talk to.just to get some socialization.
    walk around the mall or a park-bound to run into someone who would have a conversation with you. join something local.
    just throwing out suggestions not like you feel like doing any of that but you may have to force yourself to get started. Im not a huge social person myself but once Im out there Im ok.
    At least you have some friends in a cyberway here
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

In my heaven you don't have to interact with people you don't want to see. Try going to a movie with yourself. It's good therapy. My husband and I rarely do anything without the other. But we once went to the theator and he saw Spiderman and I saw The Notebook. HA Go to the park and walk. Go to a gym. You will be surprised at how many people are in the same place you are. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Newbie New User
    Jim, I just found this site because my mother has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer, but your story touched me because I lost my husband when our daughter was only 2. It is a long, hard journey with many ups and downs but only someone who has lived it can truely understand. One thing that helped me greatly was Widownet. It's a site for anyone who has lost a spouse so there are people there of all ages and circumstances, even a board just for men on the forums. The home page has a link to the forums, Widownet Bulletin Board, which were the most helpful for me. I' m new here so I'm not allowed to put a link but you can google it easily. You don't have to join to read most topics so you can just lurk at first.
    So sorry you are going through this. My mother moved in to help with our daughter when my husband died and now I' m losing her, too and it's bringing back all the dark memories.
    Keeping you both in my thoughts, Mari

Newbie Regular User
    To the OP, I just want you to know that it is OK to cry in front of your son. He may not understand fully because he is so young, but I believe part of the stigma and fear of death is the simple fact that we make it so taboo. It's hard for me to say, because I am new at this, but having honest talks about death and dying is perfectly healthy. I also believe it is normal to miss your wife. I'm aware it's not the same as a divorce, but I believe the feeling may be similar. You will miss this person forever, but your days will continue, especially being strong for your little boy who will need you so much. Let yourself feel this loss and we are all here for you. I will pray for you and your little boy.

Regular User
    Hi, OP here. Here's a video we made for my wife's memorial service. I can't watch it anymore, but it's beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4N1ekrMFUM

Mr_bubb- OMG its soo beautiful and so sad all very intense .....so intense Im crying my eyes out right now and cant stop.
    That was done up so well. I felt that deeeeply and what a beautiful family. the love of life and nature and family comes through so powerfull. Thank you soooo much for allowing us into this precious part of your life.May you gather strength through the innocence of your child , your family and friends to live the rest of your life in the comforting thought that she is at peace and the greatest gift her from you will be to remember her love for you and your family and feel her guidance for strength to live the rest of your life to the fullest.you are so fortunate that your paths have crossed.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Wow...I feel a certain connection to the people I see posting on here...both cancer sufferers and caregivers. Reading words and feeling them is one thing, but attach something as beautiful as that video as well and it amplifies it so much more. What an amazing video...thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

Senior User
    Beautiful eyes! Thanks for sharing.
    Spouse/Caregiver of 54 yr old male
    Diagnosed Primary CNS Lymphoma 2/2011
    HDMTX Chemo- 8 cycles
    HDMTX Maintenance Chemo- 11 cycles
    Complications: clots, kidney issues, slow clearance of
    chemo, dermatitis
    11/2013 Recurring clots in lungs/legs
    Scan 12-27-13 all clear
    Scan 3-13 all clear
    Next scan in October, done and all clear!

Regular User
    Hi everybody, OP here. Just an update. Some things are going well, some not. I know this may sound sudden, but I was feeling very lonely and accepted an invitation to go to a concert with a friend of a friend. A female friend. We kind of hit it off and are close friends now. I have to admit that I enjoy life a little now -- I have places to go, somebody to go with, and I've noticed that I don't turn to alcohol any more, and some nights I can get to sleep without Ambien (well, only two nights, but still).

I still miss Kim terribly every single day, and I feel guilty that occasionally I have a really nice time with a woman, and afterward I just feel good. The feeling good leads to the guilty feelings. I don't know what to do, because I have to admit I have really enjoyed enjoying life for a change, but I really love my late wife.

So that's an interesting dilemma. More straightforward, things are going ok for my son, 11. He's adapting very well to our new life together. He talks about missing his mom, and I am able to talk to him about missing her, but it is all very "healthy" and we are, well, grieving properly, I suppose. Honestly, things are going just about as well as they could, given the circumstances.

If any of you out there feel like it's ok for me to try to love life again, please let me know, because the days in which I experience joy usually become the days of greatest sorrow, and I need to know if I'm doing this wrong. Thanks for all your support, and if Kim were out there somewhere, I'd just like to say, Kim, I miss you so much.

JCA

I think it's the perfect scenaro. You enjoyed your time with her and still miss her. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be happy. She would have wanted it. I'm sure. a
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

I smiled for you when I read this latest post of yours. You are not in any way doing the wrong thing. We have seen just how very much you love and miss your wife.
    She, however is gone (many hugs to you and your son) and you both have to keep on living and have to both find your ways of doing that.
    I can not presume to speak for her as I did not know her but I did have a talk with my hubby at the beginning of my treatment for my very aggressive cancer which has a poor outcome.

We discussed it once and that was it.
    I told him if I died I know how much he loved me. Yes I know he would grieve but I did not want him to feel unfaithful if and when he became interested in someone else. I told him that it would be a great compliment to me if, when he was ready that he dated and hopefully another marriage would follow. I felt that if he did want to marry again (yes I know you are nowhere near this and just enjoying outings) that it meant that the marriage experience (21 years) with me was a positive one as he wanted to do it again some time.

He got a tad angry with me but I told him I wanted him to KNOW if that ever happened so he would not feel guilty.
    A few days later he told me thank you. Poor bugger is still stuck with me.

Many hugs to you.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Regular User
    Yeah, Kim and I had a two discussions about this before she died. She said the same thing, that she wanted me to go on, and to live life, not spend my life holding a candle, and that she knew I loved her. I told her that if I hadn't had a son I would have done the ancient Roman thing and gone with her, and at the time I could not imagine NOT holding the candle forever. Now I'm starting to see that, even though I have an interest in another person, it doesn't mean that I wouldn't have Kim back, or even that I miss her any less. The hard, hard thing to comprehend is that, when someone is gone, they're really gone.

I wish you and your husband all the best, and I know you'll cherish every day you have, in a way that couples living mundane lives can't imagine. Good luck, and thanks. --JCA

Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    I smiled for you when I read this latest post of yours. You are not in any way doing the wrong thing. We have seen just how very much you love and miss your wife.
    She, however is gone (many hugs to you and your son) and you both have to keep on living and have to both find your ways of doing that.
    I can not presume to speak for her as I did not know her but I did have a talk with my hubby at the beginning of my treatment for my very aggressive cancer which has a poor outcome.

We discussed it once and that was it.
    I told him if I died I know how much he loved me. Yes I know he would grieve but I did not want him to feel unfaithful if and when he became interested in someone else. I told him that it would be a great compliment to me if, when he was ready that he dated and hopefully another marriage would follow. I felt that if he did want to marry again (yes I know you are nowhere near this and just enjoying outings) that it meant that the marriage experience (21 years) with me was a positive one as he wanted to do it again some time.

He got a tad angry with me but I told him I wanted him to KNOW if that ever happened so he would not feel guilty.
    A few days later he told me thank you. Poor bugger is still stuck with me.

Many hugs to you.

Regular User
    OP here. One problem I have with meeting new people, or really having ANY discussion about life, is that I can't keep quiet about what's happened to me. I want to say: if you want to get to know me, first thing to get your head around is 1) my wife died, 2) I am utterly crushed by it 3) not a minute goes by that I don't want her back, and 4) I need to talk about it ALL THE TIME. I just want to sit with a sympathetic ear and tell them my entire relationship story, starting with the first date, until the moment I scattered Kim's ashes under our favorite oak tree.

Mr_Bubb- Im glad the adjustment is happening for the both of you. Some people would never think of ever being with anyone eles-on the other hand some people need someone eles.-not that you will ever forget thaat part of your life nor her. but as mojo would say-" and life goes on"- If it was the other way around Im sure you would want her to be happy and not morn the rest of her life away and to have someone help raise your son or to give some support to both of you? I personally dont see a thing wrong with what you are doing be it friendship aqaintence or more.
    And time- is different for each individual some people cant stand being alone and other prefer to be left alone the rest of their lives.
    You need to do what is best for you and your son. continued healing prayers to you both.
    MOMS Journey
    oxyplatin,5fu
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    feb16-transfusion

Quote Originally Posted by mr_bubb View Post
    OP here. One problem I have with meeting new people, or really having ANY discussion about life, is that I can't keep quiet about what's happened to me. I want to say: if you want to get to know me, first thing to get your head around is 1) my wife died, 2) I am utterly crushed by it 3) not a minute goes by that I don't want her back, and 4) I need to talk about it ALL THE TIME. I just want to sit with a sympathetic ear and tell them my entire relationship story, starting with the first date, until the moment I scattered Kim's ashes under our favorite oak tree.
    If I were in your shoes I would want the same thing, to leave a message. I've had many more good times in this world than bad. I have enjoyed and lived with gusto. I've had, and still have, fun on a daily basis. I hope I go out laughing when the time comes.

When we go about our lives and nothing is wrong, the only person who knows what is going on in your mind is your partner. Now she is gone. You have inspired me to start writing my history with my husband. It is something I know our kids will appreciate someday. They can share it with our grandchildren. I want my kids to know why I loved their dad even though I divorced him. They know but I want them to know why we united and tried so hard.

That you want to talk about it is normal. If the people you share it with can't handle it, they don't belong with you right now. You are doing really well. a

Regular User
    Thanks, everybody for your support. I went for a weekend trip to New York City, and I had a lot of fun, but I ran into somebody today who knew my story and wanted to talk about her father, who died of bone cancer at 50. So, some similarities. It just woke in me those feelings, that somehow the world is "wrong" because life continued after my wife died. How can that be? How is it that we all go on, but she had to be left behind, never to know birthdays, or Christmas, or her son graduating from school or getting married? Part of me just wants to freeze time in that hospice room, no forward, no back. It is all just so sad, that she was cheated of experiences which I am having. I hope she can forgive me. Tough day today.

Experienced User
    I am new to this site and I just read this thread from beginning to end. I'm utterly shattered by it. To hear the side of the loving husband is to look into my own relationship and see how lucky we are. I am so sorry for your loss doesn't see to grasp how I feel for ou. But I can garuntee you that if Kim "saw" you, she would want you to continue on with life and to be happy and if that involves another woman and another life, I think she would applaud it. True love is about wanting what's best for the other person. She obviously was a genuine loving person who loved you. I understand how you feel about disclosing your life story though. I feel the need to tell new people about my cancer all the time. I mean after all how could this huge life changing disease not define me as a person? How could another person not need to talk about its every aspect upon meeting me? But what I have realized is that cancer isn't who I am. And cancer isn't who Kim was. But it made our lives richer for the fact that it did help us to differentiate what's important and what simply is not. I don't care if my neighbors hear me belting out "if today was your last day" at the top of my lungs, and I don't care if someone sees my thong when I pump gas, I care that I have a website that has provided me with so many outlooks from so may aspects and I truly couldn't appreciate the people in my life as much as I do after this site. Thank you! Thank you for your utter honesty and for showing all of us that true love still exists and that is something that even cancer can't take away! God bless you!

Regular User
    Hi All, nothing for me to ask, or for you to reply to, this time. I just need to say, out load as it were, how much I'm missing Kim. I still can't believe that she's gone, I can't believe I'm supposed to live the rest of my life without her, to raise our son without her advice and assistance. That fact -- that Kim is gone, not here, that her car stopped while our cars kept going forward, just seems like this huge mountain: I can't comprehend the size of it, can't see over it or around it, and contemplating having to go over it or around it just blows my mind, just exhausts me. I sound like a cliche, but I. Can't. Believe. She's. Gone. I feel so sorry for her, and I feel like I can't get through this. Thanks for listening.

+ Reply to Thread