A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lump under chin/neck

Question lump under chin/neck

I am 19 years old and i have a fairly sized lump under my chin/on my neck. It has been there for 2 weeks now. I initially got it checked out by a nurse who said it was not a swollen gland because it was too far up my neck, she then got a second opinion and the second nurse agreed, so they sent me for an emergency appointment with my GP. He sent me for blood tests, which came back abnormal, my CRP levels were extremely high, i believe they should be under 5, but mine are 20. And my ESR levels were high too, at 12.9. Prior to my blood tests, i discovered that my gums were slightly recedeing, so my dentist put me on antibiotics for 5 days, he also said that my lump had nothing to do with my gum infection as it was not in the right position to be linked with my mouth. I have suffered extremely badly with fatigue, some days i struggle to leave my bed, i have not been able to attend college or work for 2 weeks. I have occasional back ache also. I have an appointment at the hospital to get an ultrasound, xray, biopsy and a camera down my throat. My lump does not seem to of changed in shape or size. My nan suffered from Lymphoma twice in 2 years and nearly lost her life, i'm worried i'm suffering from the same. Could anybody shine any light on this? Or share your experiences? Thank you.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Michelle

This could be a lot of things other than lymphoma so don't panic. You have done the right thing by seeing the doc, keep pushing until you get some answers.

Please read this thread if you haven't done so already.

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

Good luck and if you feel up to it keep us posted.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Welcome! Yes, definitely follow through with getting it checked out. Two weeks isn't too long to have a swollen gland, but if it hangs around a lot longer you should be suspicious. Let us know what the tests show and good luck.
    43 years old
    Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma, NOS 4B 4/21/2011
    CHOP-21 to begin 4/26/2011 6-8 cycles
    ICE X 2, auto SCT 12/6/11
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeannelawson1

"Y un dia despues de la tormenta, cuando menos piensas sale el sol"-Shakira
    "One day after the storm, when you least expect it the sun will come out."

Thank you both for your replies. I will post when i receive my results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellej92 View Post
    Thank you both for your replies. I will post when i receive my results.
    Good luck Michelle I hope you get your answers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Hey!

Just to keep you both updated....
    I attended the hospital today for my xray, ultrasound, needle biopsy and nasal endoscope....
    However....this did not happen!
    I arrived at my appointment, where the doctor had a feel of my neck, head and shoulders, he then told me to go down to get an ultrasound scan, he warned me that they would probably stick a needle in the lump (I'm assuming this would of been the biopsy). However, when I arrived at the radiology department I waited about 1hr 20minutes to be seen, I overheard staff talking about how they were understaffed and rushed off their feet (so they obviously just rushed each patient through). I could see on the ultrasound monitor this large white moutain like lump in my neck. I have waited 3 weeks for this appiontment and I am no further forward! All they have told me is that they think the lump is a mass/growth on my lymph node! They didn't even test the tissue!! I'm really p*ssed off with the NHS!!!!!!!
    I told them about my extreme fatigue and weakness but they didn't care....they probably just want to get me back in 4 weeks when they have more staff!!

What do you both think I should do? Wait another 4 weeks or go and get it checked elsewhere?

Michelle, I am so sorry with your frustration with the NHS. I have read both good and bad about that service and am sorry that you seemed to get the bad side of things.

It sounds like you did have an ultrasound and that it indicated something suspicious, correct? If that is the case, you should followup with a request for interpretation of the radiology for what is the point of even having a test if there is no result. So, what is the procedure for followup? There is also a complaint procedure in place at NHS if things are sreally sideways, I don't know how effective that process is but it does exist - does the squeaky wheel get the grease if one complains?

Lastly, For lymphoma, a needl biopsy is usually not recommended because it often yields samples that are unreliable for diagnosis. The accepted best practice is to have a full, excisional biopsy of the suspect node in order to be certain that sufficient tissue is available for analysis.

ChemoMan said earlier that you are right to push for answers and that is still true. Keep pressing the system and good luck to you.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Thank you for your reply!

Well, when I was having the ultrasound scan, the operator was asking me all sorts of questions...'How long has it been there?' , 'Has it changed?' , 'How old are you?' .... I assumed by these questions that she was concerned. The operator took snapshots of the ultrasound scan and emailed them through to the ENT department where I was originally consulted...However, when I returned to the ENT department for the results, the Doctor didn't even look at the pictures! He just about remembered why I was there.
    As you mentioned, I had an ultrasound scan and was not even given an accurate explanation...what on Earth was the point in having the scan if they are not going to shine any light on the matter!

Basically, I have been told to go back in 4 weeks and they will do further tests, lets hope it's nothing serious or i definately will be going through the complaints procedure!
    I've already waited 3 weeks, when I go back for my next appointment it will of been 7 weeks!

Thank you for your advice, I will request a full excisional biopsy.

Have you suffered from Lymphoma? If so, would you mind sharing your symptoms?
    This would be much appreciated.
    Thank you xx

Good luck with everything. To be honest, I have not really suffered from my lymphoma to any large degree (after making mental adjustments, of course). I had some night sweats before diagnosis, suffered fatigue and skin irritationfrom the radiation treatments and, to this day, feel a bit less energy than I had before.

It has also provided unexpected blessings in the form of a reprioritization of my life and what is important to me. This has led me to a new attitude (I now ask myself everyday if I am doing things that are important to me - if not, I look for ways to change that). It has also led to a new appreciation of the things I have in life - general good health, a family that loves me and who I love, I job I still like a lot, a great community, etc...

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Ah yes, that's the best attitude to have!
    I hope you have a speedy recovery!
    When my nan had Lymphoma, she had extremely bad night sweats, so bad that the sheets were soaked!
    I highly doubt I have Lymphoma, but it is always a possibility and it annoys me when the NHS don't take these things into consideration!
    I wouldn't usually be worried, only the fact that some days I find it hard to do things...take today for example, it's 4pm where i am and i'm already considering going to bed! Before this lump appeared, I was studying for my degree at University, studying 9am-4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...and then working evenings part time Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday!! So I was very energetic and was always on the move, so for me to find it difficult to walk around the house is very worrying for me!

I appreciate your reply and I will keep you updated on any decisions I make between now and my next appointment!

Thank you x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellej92 View Post
    Ah yes, that's the best attitude to have!
    I hope you have a speedy recovery!
    When my nan had Lymphoma, she had extremely bad night sweats, so bad that the sheets were soaked!
    I highly doubt I have Lymphoma, but it is always a possibility and it annoys me when the NHS don't take these things into consideration!
    I wouldn't usually be worried, only the fact that some days I find it hard to do things...take today for example, it's 4pm where i am and i'm already considering going to bed! Before this lump appeared, I was studying for my degree at University, studying 9am-4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...and then working evenings part time Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday!! So I was very energetic and was always on the move, so for me to find it difficult to walk around the house is very worrying for me!

I appreciate your reply and I will keep you updated on any decisions I make between now and my next appointment!

Thank you x
    Good luck Michelle and don't let up until you have some answers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Regular User
    Unfortunately thats how radiology departments are. I work in one and a lot of them are very dysfunctional. If you are really worried about your test results have them make it into a WETREAD. This is a priority one exam and will be read before a majority of them. Most people dont believe you can have them make a wetread but if you raise enough hell you can get anything you want. Trust me on that. The ultrasound tech obviously saw something they didnt like but they kind of ask questions just to see if there is anything out of the ordinary besides what they are seeing. Usually the questions they ask are normal. And as for ENT's go i dont like them lol. I went to one and said i had a swollen lymphnode due to acne. A day later blood test comes back positive for mono. They just give stupid answers half the time. Wish you best of luck though! And hope you feel better soon!

Thumbs down

Hey everybody!

Thank you all for your replies...
    Just to keep you all updated...
    Instead of waiting the 4 weeks that the Doctor requested, my dad (who lives in the US, and im in the UK) emailed the hospital complaints department and they brought my appointment forward by 2 weeks.
    I attended my appointment last Tuesday, and the Doctor began to shout at me and try to intimidate me! I think this was because my dad sent a rather nasty complaint email about his colleague! LOL.
    Anyway, my appointment was set for 11am, and i did not get to see the doctor until 11.45am!! He had no intention of doing any tests and was going to send me away for another 3 months! However, my mum, who was with me, demanded tests. So, therefore, the doctor performed a nasal endoscopy and then sent me down to the radiology department to have a second ultrasound and to also have a FNA. However, the radiology department closed at 12pm, and i arrived around 2 minutes later, and they refused to see me!!!! Maybe if the doctor seen me at my appointment time and i didn't have to wait such a long time then i would of been able to get my tests done! So, as it stands, they refused to see me because i was 2 minutes late through no fault of my own!
    Now i have to wait 2 weeks for my tests, and then another 2 weeks after that for my results!!

Since i first discovered this lump nearly 2 months ago, it is still the exact same, no smaller or any different. It did measure 1.3cm on my first ultrasound, so when i have my next scan they will be able to compare the 2. I have since discovered another similar lump in my neck, which seems to have grown over the past week or 2. All this waiting around is no good!!

Hey,

After waiting around since September I have finally had a full excisional biopsy of the initial lump. I am currently awaiting the results....I have approximately 5-6 other swollen lymph nodes in my neck (this is excluding the larger one removed). can anybody share their opinions? I have had these swollen lymph nodes since September 2011....nearly 6 months ago, and in this time more have appeared. My fatigue isn't as bad as it was in the beginning, but I've lost around 8lbs despite eating well. How long does it usually take for an appointment for results? Any replies will be appreciated hope all is well x

Newbie New User
    Hi Michelle,
    I just followed your thread with interest because my 18 year old son has a lump directly under his chin and I'm very worried. I'm just wondering how you tests came out?

+ Reply to Thread