A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Leukemia Diagnosis

Newbie Regular User
    Thank you, Didee.

Everyone is finding out the news today. Her parents have found out and are wanting answers that she cannot give them, and she has just gone off to tell her best friend. This is heartbreaking .

Newbie Regular User
    Just stopping by to say how things are going now for my girlfriend.

In the three days after her four tests, she had a headache and generally felt sick. Then on Sunday, she was sick several times after dinner, and it was decided within her family they should take her to A and E. She was found to be dehydrated and possibly anaemic. She also had further blood tests.

The following day, the blood tests revealed her white blood cell count was up to 82000, and the doctors informed her she needed to act fast and start treatment. The doctors have put together a plan of high-dose chemotherapy and radiotherapy as well as stem cell treatment. She has had two daily doses of chemotherapy so far (and isn't feeling very well at all), and she begins radiotherapy tomorrow. I presume the stem cell treatment will come if the two other treatments work to get rid of the leukemia cells.

Regarding the stem cell treatment, it sounds as though her immune system would be non-existent for a time and she would be spending time in isolation (she is already effectively like that now anyway) until she hopefully builds some immunity. We would just have to pray that the cells given to her would do their desired job and make her begin to feel better.

It sounds a very complex treatment plan but it is what the doctors ultimately advised so we have gone with it. It is heart-breaking to talk to her how she is at the moment (which I am aware won't change for a long while), but I am pleased she has began treatment now. It is only day two and she is struggling with the chemotherapy already, but I feel a bit better things are being attempted to beat this.

MParker, the treatment plan you describe is right in line with what I would expct for someone in your girlfriend's situation. In fact, it is pretty common forthose of us with a blood cancer to be looking at a combination of these elements in order to get well. Your understanding of a stem cell transplant is basically correct. Here is a good description of the procedure from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ste...splant/MY00089

It is good that treatment has started. You are both in for a bumpy journey as this path takes a long time to complete, but the prognosis is good and has been improving for many years so there is reason to be optimistic that better days are ahead. Hang in there for your girlfriend, you are doing a great job of being there for her. Don't hesitate to let us know if we can help.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 64
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.

Remember the Rules!

Newbie Regular User
    Just stopping by to tell you the update - unfortunately, it isn't very good news.

I have only found out in the last 24 hours, but my girlfriend was actually diagnosed with T-Cell ALL. It goes without saying that this means her chances are a lot lower than what they could of been. When she was spoken to on Monday, she was told that she had two options. The first was she could have pain relief for a few weeks and live her normal life but she would die, and the second was to go with a very intensive treatment plan, which would give her a 'slim' chance. She is receiving the highest dose of Chemotherapy possible and she will be having her second dose of Radiotherapy tomorrow. They are trying to get rid of all of the Leukemia cells within a week - a job that would usually take three to eight weeks. The doctors want to get her into an isolation room as soon as possible.

She has talked about wills and everything today, so I am not in a good place at all. Whilst having to remain positive to keep her spirits up, I can't help but be realistic and that I could lose her. I really don't know what to do .

MP i am very sorry your going thru this, do your best, you really need to stay positive.

Newbie Regular User
    I am really really trying my best, but it is so difficult now. If they thought it was possible to treat and succeed, I'm struggling to see why they would have given her the option of palliative care?

I hope miracles can happen...

Regular User
    Hey Mparker170,
    I just read the thread and am sorry to hear the bad news about your girlfriend. Hope she gets better and miracles do happen! Hope to hear more from you.
    God bless!

MParker, I just checked in on the situation and am so, so sorry to hear how things have developed. It sounds like your girlfriend is in a very dicey situation from which most people do not recover, that is why they offered her the option of palliative care.

I have no words of wisdom or magic bullets for what you are facing, I wish I did. I can only tell you that I am here and I am sending good thoughts to you both. God bless, I am saying a prayer for her.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 64
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.
    February 2015 - Doc and I agreed to stop R maintenance as it is depressing my immune system too much.
    June 2015 - Confirm that the beast is back by physical exam, will scan in August after esophageal issues settle down so we can get a clear view.

Remember the Rules!