A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tumor on tonsil

Newbie New User

Tumor on tonsil

Hello

Over the past 6 weeks I have had oral thrush that will not go away (I'm on day 13 of fluconazole which is suppose to be a 1 pill dose, and I've been on 6 weeks of nystatin mouth wash). During this time there was a tumor discovered on my tonsil and my other tonsil is swollen larger than the tumor tonsil. I live in the middle of nowhere and I am hoping to be approved to be flown out to have tests done but I'm wondering if anyone can help me with what the growth may be? I'm quite worried about lymphoma because of the thrush and they can't figure out why my immune system won't fight it off however I do work in health care and don't want to jump to conclusions. Here is a picture:

IMAGE REMOVED

Thank you so much for your help. Other info is that I'm in my 20s, don't smoke, and have two genetic disorders (hemochromatosis and a bleeding disorder).
    Last edited by pbj11; 10-19-2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: No images allowed. We are lay people, not doctors. Thanks for your understanding.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Hello

Over the past 6 weeks I have had oral thrush that will not go away (I'm on day 13 of fluconazole which is suppose to be a 1 pill dose, and I've been on 6 weeks of nystatin mouth wash). During this time there was a tumor discovered on my tonsil and my other tonsil is swollen larger than the tumor tonsil. I live in the middle of nowhere and I am hoping to be approved to be flown out to have tests done but I'm wondering if anyone can help me with what the growth may be? I'm quite worried about lymphoma because of the thrush and they can't figure out why my immune system won't fight it off however I do work in health care and don't want to jump to conclusions. Here is a picture:

IMAGE REMOVED

Thank you so much for your help. Other info is that I'm in my 20s, don't smoke, and have two genetic disorders (hemochromatosis and a bleeding disorder).
    Hi

While it is unlikely to be lymphoma there is that possibility. You need to get that tonsil biopsied and until that is done lymphoma cannot be ruled out.

Please take a look at this post it will tell you all you need to know

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...h-NO-diagnosis

read rule 2 in my sig as this is important to you. You seem to have been following rule 1

Good luck and keep in touch and i really hope you have no reason to stay here.

Cheers
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Newbie New User
    Candida albicans usually prospers when your immune system is compromised in some way. Lots of things can do this, from infections to cancer. But it is unusual that it has not responded to Diflucan in this amount of time. When you say you have a tumor on one of your tonsils, do you mean that you have a visible lesion, or that it is swollen, or what? I am just trying to understand what you have written. I am a stage for tonsil cancer survivor. my first presentations were similar, though the fungal bloom came later during treatments. I agree with the first responder that this is not likely lymphoma, and you do need to get a biopsy as soon as possible. Tonsil cancers are on the rise today in non smokers caused by the HPV16 virus. They are increasingly common. But no question the docs that are treating you for what is always a collateral issue, are not paying attention to something more important and that would concern me. I would get that biopsy from someone in the otolaryngology community or in a CCC institution so you have a firm diagnosis to move forward from. There is lots of good, vetted information at oralcancer.org on both Candida/thrush and tonsillar cancers,that you might find useful, but having said that, PLEASE do not try and self diagnose over the web. Someone needs to look at this. It may be as simple as some advanced infection, but it it is something more dire, knowing now is way better than knowing later.
    Last edited by Kermica; 10-22-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Removed new user link as per Forum policy

+ Reply to Thread