A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever given a machine to take chemo from home?

Senior User

Has anyone ever given a machine to take chemo from home?

The doctor gave my dad a machine where he can get chemo from home. Has anyone have had that?

Hi Tony,

This sounds like the same chemo my dad is on. My dad got his first treatment last week but had chemo hooked in his port for 48 hours after arriving home then had to go to the hospital to have it removed. This is suppose to be very aggressive chemo according to our onocologist. I can't remember the name. They told him not to eat or touch anything cold for at least 5 days after the treatment because he could develop neuropothy.

Lisa

Senior User
    My dad had Fluorouracil.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorouracil

This made him really sleepy and constipated. The doctor didn't tell my dad not to eat. You have to eat when you are receiving chemo. If not, you will be really weak. Also, tell your dad to drink lots of water and even gatorade.

Hi,

They told him to eat just not cold foods. That is the same chemo he is on it is a three part cocktail.

My dad has not gotten sick yet.

Lisa

Senior User
    My dad also can't eat cold foods. His was a 2 part chemo treatment.

My dad has been taking miralax for the constipation. It has gotten better since we started the chemo but he is eating like a horse. He is hungry all the time.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by mydad View Post
    My dad has been taking miralax for the constipation. It has gotten better since we started the chemo but he is eating like a horse. He is hungry all the time.
    That's really good

Yes we are feed him as much as he will eat He has lost about 35 pounds in the last three months but it was not due to the cancer or not eating. He was a junk food a holic and when when we was diagnosised with diabetes in July he completely cut sugar from his diet. We have our second chemo treatment on Tuesday. We are hoping it goes as good as the first. Is your dad still feeling ok?

Senior User
    Yes we are feed him as much as he will eat He has lost about 35 pounds in the last three months but it was not due to the cancer or not eating. He was a junk food a holic and when when we was diagnosised with diabetes in July he completely cut sugar from his diet. We have our second chemo treatment on Tuesday. We are hoping it goes as good as the first. Is your dad still feeling ok?
    He is just feeling tired. He is drinking a lot of water and gatorade. His next treatment is Nov 2. It is usually given in 2 parts. 7 hours on the 2nd ( more when he takes it home and 3 more hours on the 4th. They said that he can't receive the whole thing on the same thing because it would be tooo strong for him. So far, no side effects. He has been drinking a lot of prune juice and he is also taking colace to relieve constipation. He went a little bit this morning. He has been peeing a lot though.

I will take tired over them being sick any day. It is emotional draining for me to see my dad sick and I can't begin to imagine how hard it is on him.

Senior User
    My dad always feels like throwing up but can't. He has been drinking ensure and prune juice to go to the bathroom but he is still constipated. His fever is gone and his pains are now gone.

Prune juice did not work for my dad. The oncologist told him to take miralax and that seemed to work. My dad did not have the throwing up feeling how if he gets nausead he eats sugar free lemon drop hard candy and it seems to help

Senior User
    Prune juice did not work for my dad. The oncologist told him to take miralax and that seemed to work. My dad did not have the throwing up feeling how if he gets nausead he eats sugar free lemon drop hard candy and it seems to help
    It looks like prune juice isn't helping my dad. He is taking colace. It doesn't even seem to help him either. He has gas though. He also chews on lemon drops.

Senior User
    He is starting to get hungry. He ate toast this morning with boost.

Senior User
    It looks like my dad is losing weight. He hasn't really been eating because of the chemo. =(.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
    It looks like my dad is losing weight. He hasn't really been eating because of the chemo. =(.
    Hi Tony,

I am sorry to hear that. My dad is drinking muscle milk once a day to try to gain weight. He was also losing weight prior to drinking this. He just put 4 pounds on in the last week. That was his first week drinking the muscle milk. It is actually the GNC brand because the muscle milk was too thick and gagged him. He was not able to drink ensure because it has too many sugars in it.

Lisa

Senior User
    Hi Tony,

I am sorry to hear that. My dad is drinking muscle milk once a day to try to gain weight. He was also losing weight prior to drinking this. He just put 4 pounds on in the last week. That was his first week drinking the muscle milk. It is actually the GNC brand because the muscle milk was too thick and gagged him. He was not able to drink ensure because it has too many sugars in it.

Lisa
    I have to tell my dad about muscle milk. That might be good for him. He likes ensure.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Unfortunately, this is one of the biggest challenges that they face when going through this. My dad was first diagnosed with diabetes last November, which we are assuming was a side effect of the cancer. Since then, he has lost 70 lbs. It's been up and down and all around since this started. Hang in there and keep him eating and drinking!
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    My dad is most likely going to have chemo for 1 year. No radiation. It was supposed to be until Feb but now it looks like it will be longer. The doctor really wants to fight this.

Hi Tony,

That is good that you have a doctor that wants to fight for your dad.

Lisa

+ Reply to Thread