A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does lung cancer look like onachest x ray?

Regular User

What does lung cancer look like onachest x ray?

After a dry cough for 3 months with some arm and shoulder pain with chest pains and coughing up some blood a few time I got a chest x ray and the doctor found a "patch" on my middle lobe. She said IRS could be an infection but with my other problems I think they are linked. She did say she wasn't worried about it but I'm not convinced. So what does it look like on an x ray? Would the doc be suspicious ? Or are they difficult to tell apart

Been having bowel problems also so i linked them together after some research and to me it looks like i have bad bowel cancer and now mets to the lungs from my research

Arrrghhhhh Johnny!!!!! Stop doing research on the darn internet and let the doctor be the doctor. You've gotten yourself from a "something" in your lung to full blown Stage IV Colon Cancer. (sigh) Please do NOT do this to yourself.

Now -- the lung issue should be addressed and more testing done -- like a CT scan -- likely after a run of antibiotics. Did you get a copy of the report? "Patch" isn't a term I've ever heard used by a doctor. Nodule, mass, etc. are the common terms. Did she mention if it appeared to be calcified? Were you prescribed antibiotics? What is IRS?

What is she recommending as the next step?

Johnny, I know you are nervous about this x-ray, but don't put the cart before the horse. I do think you need to follow up, as a continued cough, bloody sputum, and "something" showing can be many different things. Don't let them pass you off. Stay on top of this to be on the safe side.

We're here to help in whatever way we can, but a little more information would be good.

God bless,
    PBJ

P.S. -- I just noticed that you have several posts on the forums. Here's the problem. If you are always suspicious of something bad and that gets into your doctors head, then you aren't going to be believed IF something real does show up. You understand? I still maintain that telling you there's a "patch" is not the way to leave things with you. We need more info.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Moderator Top User
    I was at a customers home the other day and I was told by the lady owner what the basic problem was. I went about checking the problem out and soon finding an area that was falling apart and effecting the problem and while I was doing that the customers husband came by and started telling me I had no reason to check on these other things because he new where the problem was, I was very close to walking off the job and I certainly was in no mood to give him my best care, so his wife and I decided to cut out any improvements we had planned. Johny you are your own worst enemy.
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993

Sorry, but internet research doesn't do sh*t. Go to the doctor.
    Last edited by pbj11; 11-11-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Boyfriend, 25, dx'ed Stage IV NSCLC 6/29/11. Malignant pleural effusion, liver/spine/lymph mets. Adenocarcinoma w/unknown primary! So confusing.

Jul '11: 2 cycles Carboplatin/Alimta (failed)
    Oct '11: Docetaxol/ramucirumab/Xgeva/Neulasta
    Dec '12: Liver met growth
    Jan '13: 10+ brain mets, 2 wks of WBR
    Mar '13: CDK 4/6 inhibitor trial (failed)
    May '13: Tested ROS1+
    June '13: Xalkori clinical trial for ROS1+
    Aug '13: Liver mets gone, lung spots gone. Doing great so far!
    Mar '14: Leptomeningeal progression. Ommaya reservoir put in for intrathecal methotrexate.
    May '14: Tolerating chemo, hoping for good news...

Blog: http://ros1positive.wordpress.com/

Regular User
    hello all i got from the doctor was there was a small patch on my middle lobe. she told me she wasn't too worried about it and it didn't look like a bad patch. She gave me 250mg of erythromycin for 1 week and i have to have a repeat x ray in 6 weeks. She told me it could be a little infection but i have been coughing for 3 months!

I probably am my worsed enemy i think into things a lot and connect things. Reason why i went into colon cancer is because a month before my cough i have and still have bowel problems like no appetitite,loose stools some tummy aches,sohulder pains,back pains and pain down my arm. I linked it all back to 6 years ago when i first started having flatter stools and doing my research i found out colon cancer can take 5 years or less to develop and it all fits in pefect with my story.

6 years ago flat stools

3-4 months ago loss of appetite change in bowel habbits 2 bouts of blood(covering the who stool and mixed in with teh stool.

2.5 months ago dry cough,arm pain,shoulder pain back pain.

lately blood and the odd bits of yellow mucus. Headaches when i wake up in teh morning and sometimes during the day.

Do i have a point here in your opinions?
    Last edited by johnny87; 11-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.

You have asked for opinions..here is mine.

You are trying to talk yourself into having various cancers as you read about them so much. Stay the hell off the net.
    All your symptoms can be anything, nothing or just also caused by stress/anxiety.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/08/...dr-google.html

Your doctor is the one to guide you through all this, not just people on a forum.

On your other thread you said you had a referral for late August.
    How did that go?

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...e-help-%28-%28
    Last edited by Didee; 11-11-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Johnny,

What the doctor did is the standard for someone who presents with your symptoms. My husband didn't even get an x-ray the first time he went in with the shortness of breath, bloody sputum, and cough. He was just given antibiotics as they figured he had bronchitis or something. Take the medicine and go for the follow up. I honestly don't know why she's waiting six weeks, as you'll be well through the meds by that point.

Do make sure to take the medicine and I pray it's just a touch of an infection.

Keep us posted. BTW -- if you had any symptoms of colon cancer six years ago, you'd be dead by now.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    The 6 years ago think was just flat stools. i have read that it can start as a polyp then several years later become cancer. And also because of my poor diet it could of made it much worse.

As for my referral i have a colonscopy on the 23rd of this month.

Regular User
    Forgot to add that when I wake up I get a pins and needles numbing feeling around my head. I get this every time without fail. When I add all these symtoms up I feel there is no hope any more I also get headaches now and then

Just follow up with your doctor for both the patch in your chest and the colonoscopy. All should be fine Johnny.

God bless,
    PBJ

Newbie New User

Cool RE: What does lung cancer look like on a chest x ray?

Hello Johnny and Others
    I am a Former Army Medic and even though this is being added to post like 3 yrs late LOL I hope this will still help someone ... so here comes my "Late 2 Cents" hehe...
    OK People What You all need to do Is stop using Sites like Web M.D. and so on to look up symptoms and trying to find a DX "Diagnosis" for your self... Let Your Doctor do there job People... This is why they take a minimum of 8 yrs of school, 4 yrs Undergrad and 4 yrs Medical School plus internship and residency to get there M.D. that's why we trust there opinions and if you don't trust there opinion then you need to find a new Doc. Another reason you need to see a Doctor not a web site is because there is this phenomenon called the placebo effect and that is when you start looking things up on these websites all the sudden you start to feel and experience all the symptoms and having the signs of all sorts of illnesses and diseases it is a common thing these days for this to happen to people Due to these website such as Web MD and other and when you start going to the "Real" Doctor telling them you have looked this up and you think you might have this and/or that then they start to excuse alot of what you say due to thinking you may be a Hypochondriac... so i guess to put all this simple is tell your Doctor about you signs and symptoms not a Web Site and let your Doctor do what they are best at, and yes I know sometimes you may feel your Doctor is missing somthing or not DXing you correctly and in that case find another Doctor to take another look at you and any scans and/or tests for a second opinion... pleas all listen to what I say... I have known pepole who get so fixated on what these websites say the totaly disregurd the Doctors and gotten alot sicker even know of a couple people from my time as a MEDIC in the U.S. Army who have Died due to some of these kind of self diagnostic WebSites... Thank for reading this and bless you all... Stay SAFE and HEALTHY You only get ONE BODY take Care of it Correctly please all...

Rich

This is indeed what we tell people all the time.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

+ Reply to Thread