A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swollen rib

Swollen rib

Hi everyone.

Hope all is well with you all?

Just a quick question, does anyone have any experience of a lump on the ribs? I have a swelling to the right of my breastbone, along the rib, maybe 2 inches in to the centre of the right rib.

It appears that it could be Tietze Syndrome or Costochronditis but I'm slightly worried it could be the other thing (which I don't even want to mention!). I've had nagging back and shoulder pain for a while (which my onc put down to anxiety/stress) as on a CT a while back my entire right shoulder blade was inflamed and swollen.

So, any experience with the above? Has anyone had a lump/swelling on the rib and it be the other thing?

I was going to go to the doctors this morning but I'm so worried about being the boy who cried wolf that I've decided to do 4 days of Ibruprofen to see if the swelling reduces and then, if not by Friday, to go then as I'm working from home.

Any advice/words of wisdom appreciated.

James
    Diagnosed Mixed Cellularity Hodgkins Lymphoma 1st February 2010. 4 cycles ABVD and 30 gy radiatiotherapy. NED.

Hi James, sorry to hear that the noise is impacting you again. I have a swelling on my left chest wall near the top of the rib cage. I showed it to my onc 4 months ago and he said it was "nothing" (which it isn't since I can feel it). I showed it to my GP at my physical in September and he said it was just a cartilege/muscle buildup that occurs with age. Of course, I am a lot older than you but in my case, I have had two docs dismiss it and it has been non-reactive on scans so I put it in the "not to worry" bin.

I am sure that there are some cases where this type of presentation is "the other thing" but I'm not one of them. As usual, the standing advice applies - if it is chewing you up, you should go get it checked out. It is better to have it dismissed (or even confirmed) than it is to do nothing and have your quality of life taken down by noise. Besides, if it was the beast, you will want to get in front of it with all you can as soon as you can...its probably nothing but get it checked for your peace of mind.

Good health,

kermica
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    Follicular lymphoma diagnosed August 08, Stage 1
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Restaged to Stage 3 May 2010
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Significant progression detected in PET scan - December 2012
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Hi Kermica,

Thanks for replying.

I know what you mean about the nothing. Everytime I have something it's brushed off with a nothing. Well it is something, I can feel it, it's there.

To add to the saga, I had some routine blood tests last week and just found out 10 minutes ago that my ESR is elevated. Now, if this is Tietze syndrome, it can raise ESR. However, we all know what else raised ESR can mean so here's to more mental noise and uncertainty!

The good news is that I'm not having night sweats, weight loss, fever - all of which I had the first time around. I called the nurse and was basically brushed off and told to go to my GP which I'll try and do.

Here's to hoping it's nothing!

James
    Diagnosed Mixed Cellularity Hodgkins Lymphoma 1st February 2010. 4 cycles ABVD and 30 gy radiatiotherapy. NED.

Happy to be in touch, James. Do go to the GP, make noise, be expectant of a path to a full explanation and then hold your ground. You know how to do this, just go make it happen so you can get your serenity back. Good to hear there are no B symptoms, that bodes well, of course.

Cheers, k
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63
    2 cycles (20 treatments each) localized radiation to tumor sites. Remission confirmed July 09
    Recurrence confirmed May 2010 - Watch and Wait commenced - multiple scans with minimal progression.
    Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma diagnosed September 2012. Mohs surgical excision 09/2012. Successful, clean edges all around.
    Biopsy to check for transformation 1/18/2013 - negative for that but full of lymphoma, of course.
    July 2013 - Rescan due to progression shows one tumor (among many) very suspect for transformation, another biopsy 8/12/13.
    August 2013 - No evidence of transformation, 6 courses of B+R commence 8/29 due to "extensive, systemic disease".
    February 2014 - Diagnostic PET scan states: Negative PET scan. Previous noted hypermetabolic cervical, axillary, iliac and inguinal lymphadenopathy has resolved. Doctor confirms full remission.
    June 2014 - started 2 year maintenance Rituxin, 1 infusion every 3 months. Doctor confirms lump under right arm are "suspicious" for recurrent disease, deferring scans for now.

Remember the Rules!

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorney1 View Post
    Here's to hoping it's nothing!
    I'll drink to that.

You know, we kinda sympathetically joke around about the Noise on this site, and no doubt those who aren't NED yearn for the day when all they have to worry about is Noise, but truly the noise is sickening. I salute those, like kermica, with indolent lymphoma.

Google the news today for NHL and PTSD. Although the articles are fuzzy, the message is that for some NHL survivors PTSD gets worse as time goes on.
    Diagnosed at 57 years old on December 7 '09 with DLBCL, stage III, bulky
    Completed 8 cycles of R CHOP 21 May 24 '10
    Completed 18 sessions of radiation July 21 '10
    NED since May of '10

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi James

Not again Don't worry about being the boy who cried wolf, get it seen to. Its probably nothing but none of us are in the position to be able to ignore something like this, besides the noise will drive you nuts.

Good luck with it James, let us know what it is when you find out.
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

What they said.
    It would do my head in too so get it checked.
    Aussie, age 58
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    What's the good word?
    Diagnosed at 57 years old on December 7 '09 with DLBCL, stage III, bulky
    Completed 8 cycles of R CHOP 21 May 24 '10
    Completed 18 sessions of radiation July 21 '10
    NED since May of '10

Experienced User
    Sleeper complained about a lump that he was watching on his rib. I think it turnd out to be nothing, I hope that is also the case for you james.
    Age 49 Female
    Diagnosed September 15th 2010
    Diffuse large B cell non Hodgkin lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localised in Maxilla and neck nodes)
    Bone marrow clear
    Chemo started 12 October 2010 x 4 RCHOP
    Radiotherapy started 15 Feb 2011 35 grays in 20 sessions
    PET/CT results July 4th 2011 clean scan. Thank you God

I have a big lump right on my sternum. I swear it wasn't there before. It is hard like bone. My onc. felt it and said it is part of my ribs-that I never noticed. It's never shown up on a scan or anything.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    43 years old
    Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma, NOS 4B 4/21/2011
    CHOP-21 to begin 4/26/2011 6-8 cycles
    ICE X 2, auto SCT 12/6/11
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeannelawson1

"Y un dia despues de la tormenta, cuando menos piensas sale el sol"-Shakira
    "One day after the storm, when you least expect it the sun will come out."

Dorney, any word?

The noise is awful. Think my doctor is getting sick of seeing me for things I may or may not be imagining :P one day at a time. Hope your docs are able to give you some good news on this.

Elizabeth
    23 yr old Female
    Lump above collarbone found December 2010
    Diagnosed March 2011, Age 22
    Healthy
    Hodgkin's Lymphoma NS stage 2a
    8 ABVD treatments recieved
    Last treatment on July 12th, 2011
    Clear PET scan

Hey everyone.

Well I'm no further to knowing. I contacted my onclogist's PA and was told to go to a GP i.e they're not interested.

Since then I've had a cold so haven't bothered going (as I want the blood tests to be taken when I'm well). I'm on the mend from the cold so will hopefully go next week but, to be honest, I feel slightly disheartened having to go to a GP as I feel that every lump should be looked at with my previous history in mind and with a GP I'll just be seen as a 'normal' patient.

James

The system here is that all my results are forwarded to both my Onc and GP so he knows what is going on.
    He can then ring the Onc if he feels the need and he can also order scans, bloods etc.

That doesn't that happen there?
    Aussie, age 58

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

Hi Didee,

There's a central database so in theory he could look but they don't communicate. That's the one problem with a free healthcare system is that you're not a customer and their time is valuable.

James

Bit different then. It is all free here too. (have to pay for scans as insurance does not cover them unless you are a hospital Inpatient.
    Nothing for Oncs visits, GP, Chemo and $33 for the neulasta.
    Aussie, age 58

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Bit different then. It is all free here too. (have to pay for scans as insurance does not cover them unless you are a hospital Inpatient.
    Nothing for Oncs visits, GP, Chemo and $33 for the neulasta.
    It's not free Didee....It cost 1.5% of your income per year, every year, whether you are sick or not.
    I did one better....because I had been misdiagnosed twice and had lymphoma for over 18 months I got straight into a private clinic with the best hematologist in the country all for Nix, nadda, zip. No cost for anything at all . I still go to the clinic for follow ups. The only out of pocket expense was my bed for the first excisional biopsy that was because I was privately insured for hospital cover and I had a $500 excess. I didn't have to pay that the second time around.

Anyway James I am glad that this is probably nothing, keep following it up and let us know how you get on.
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Yea, I know, forget to mention that bit but I meant free to us (mostly) and for those over a certain income the percentage is raised, encouraging people to also have private cover.

Dorney..I hope all will be ok.
    Aussie, age 58

6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

James, sorry this worry is still hanging on for you. Regarding the shuttle back to the GP, don't forget that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Make noise, be expectant, make reasonable demands (But demands, nonetheless) and communicate yoour expectations of focus on your individual case. be civil about it all but, when you leave the office, be sure they are saying "okay, let's give him what he wants so we don't have to deal with him". It's all about you and sometimes the medical folks need to be reminded of that.

Good health,

kermica
    ~Author Unknown

Age 63

Remember the Rules!

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one to update.

I still haven't had the rib checked (but it's not changed and I'm thinking it's either always been that way or result of football injury or other misdemeanour whilst young!).

The reason for my optimism is that I just had my blood tests back and my ESR is at 2 and all other markers are normal. Add to that I have no lumps in any traditional lymph regions or any symptoms what so ever so feeling fairly confident.

Obviously I'll keep an eye on it just in case but at the moment I'm just happy to be healthy! No need to go investigating for things that aren't there.

James

Blog Entries
    Hi Dorney

You sound so much like me in this regard

Glad all is well. I note with some happiness that as time goes on the noise gets less. There have actually been a few studies on this issue and lo and behold all with HL patients, mainly because there is a very large cohort of long term survivors and thats exactly what you will be James, a long term survivor.

Cheers
    Age 58
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

+ Reply to Thread